main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AGAIN!!! Who would you like to see writing Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebirdiscruel

thebirdiscruel Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2004
    For those suggesting Crichton, I do not think he would ever consider writing Star Wars for any amount of money. The man gets some what upset if someone suggests that he is a science fiction writer or that he writes science fiction. He would probably see writing Star Wars as beneath him.

2. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    For a SpecOps SW book like Hard Contact or anything primarily featuring Alpha or the ARC troopers, I'd have to go with the Aussie writer Matthew Reilly. His stuff is great.

Sure, but the ARC troopers will be more powerful then the entire host of Old Republic Jedi, and will be chewing up all comers like a particullarly violent tunnelling device.

Reilly's okay, in his comic-book-on-page sort of way (complete with onomatopoeia), but his style is more suited to the rather ridiculous - yet still fun - Bond movies of the 70's (eg. Moonraker) rather then anything that's supposed to be taken half seriously. I mean, Ice Station has Schofield swimming away from a nuclear explosion. And taking out an entire base full of SAS by himself. And a lot of incidental objects turning out to be really useful with such regularity that whenever the main character recieves some mundane thing, like, er, a piece of paper, you just know that he's going to use it to cut the throat of the evil Peruvian torture master somewhere down the line (I made that scenario up, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying).

3. HanSoloTK421

HanSoloTK421 Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2004
    Yes, Tom Clancy would be excellent for Rebel Commando-like novels. A prime candidate, I think.

4. stephengraves

stephengraves Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2001
    Doctor Who novelist Lance Parkin. He'd be good.

SG

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Joss Whedon for a couple comics...

6. mothraa

mothraa Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2004
    i think someone like david eddings would be a good choice as he already has a background in fantasy but i would personally like to see some one like ursula le guin or daphne du maurier of done something with the starwars universe i think they would have brought a whole new feel to the books give them some heart which i think is missing from a lot of the starwars novels then again i think douglas adams should of had a go (hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) he would have put a totally different twist on it.

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Mastadge: Traviss, Stover, Stewart, Luceno, Zahn, Allston -- they all do it well (or at least to the best of their abilities.

Agreed - but, um, who's Stewart? Add in Keyes, Tyers and Stackpole to that list... and Denning, obviously. And I've found that Shane & Sean repay a lot of rereading...

JediMasterEllic_Kier : Iain M. Banks (if you don't know who he is, find his stuff)

YES! :D :D :D

GrandAdmiralSchmiggy[/i]: Grant Morrison

A Grant Morrison SW plotline would have an alcoholic, divorced and crippled Luke discovering that Leia had returned to power in an alliance with the Sith, and, after much depressing angst, it would end with Farmboy kamikazi'ing his X-wing into the Alliance capitol...

:p [face_mischief]

Anyone who catches the reference gets a Golden Ewok! :D

Rampani: Matthew Reilly.

Hmm - maybe. Lots of action, striking 'visuals' and characters, and he'd do Jedi well - in short, Reilley is fun; but I think David L. Robbins would be better, in the same vein - speaking of which, anyone else think that looked like a very random cameo by Jaina Solo on p. 443 of Last Citadel? [face_mischief] :p

But that's getting away from the main issue...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Iain M. Banks.

Anyone else read the The Algebraist yet? :D

Any of you think that some of the grace notes looked a wee bit like riffs on the franchise - an art-obsessed bad-guy with a flagship that looks like serious Freudian compensation...

Even if they're not, Banksie is clearly on the right wavelength right now - and seeing him translate his usual concerns into the GFFA would be bloody good fun!

Yes, he's a 'big' novellist, but at the same time, it would be a way of reaching a whole new audience for him...

Apart from that... hmm? Ken MacLeod, obviously. I've been saying for years that Chris Claremont should do a SW comic, and he has the established background of working with George. JMS for TV, certainly. Lawrence Norfolk. Arturo Perez-Reverte - yes, you'd have to get it translated, but it would be a way of breaking the Spanish-speaking market...

You get the idea, anyway...

- The Imperial Ewok

8. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Mike Mignola for a book about the ancient Sith...

9. timtoews5292004

timtoews5292004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2004
    Blitz_vs beat me to it. Stephen King would bring a welcome twist to the Star Wars Universe, I think. Maybe something about the origin and life of Palpatine?

10. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Doctor Who novelist Lance Parkin. He'd be good.

Oh, he's great. I think I mentioned his name to Sue awhile back.

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    A Tom Baker-class (Dr Who) type of Jedi, sans the Allston approach to humour, would be awesome. His distinctive flamboyant quixoticity if done right would be fun to read.

George Martin . . .?

No way. The guy uses the same words over and over again for thousands of pages. He'll say host instead of army; craven instead of coward; and he'll call Jaina sweetling and Sidious lordling!

12. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    Peter David. I'd also like to see George R.R. Martin but it would probably take him four years to write one book. Look at how long its taking him to write A Feast for Crows.

13. Ransel

Ransel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2003
    I have to agree on David Gemmell but how about George R.R. Martin.

14. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Mercedes Lackey.

15. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    No, no, no, no, no!

Martin would write a book in which the Jedi were vivisected into several competing, debased religions, there was no Light Side, all the characters were distilled from Zahn and Procopius, and the Yuuzhan Vong were recast as zombies who appeared in the opening scene and then not again for several books...

:p

- The Imperial Ewok

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    and the Yuuzhan Vong were recast as zombies who appeared in the opening scene and then not again for several books...

Now that can be etched in transparisteel. :D

17. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I would like to see Emily Bronte do a SW novel, especially something in and around EP III. Seeings how she made Heathcliff so lothefull in Wuthering Heights she would write a positively dasterdly Anakin/Vader. One main flaw, however, she, unfortunately, is dead. :_| I take it it ain't gonna happen. :confused:

18. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Bronte might be dead, but Michael Chabon is alive and well. He would write a fabulous Star Wars novel. Plus, that might get the EU some academic credentials (which it could use after KJA books).

Chris Claremont would probably write a great comic miniseries, although I wouldn't want him to leave X-Men again. Joss Whedon, likewise.

19. thebirdiscruel

thebirdiscruel Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2004
    If Bronte wrote Star Wars, Anakin would never have gone over to the darkside. Instead of slaughtering the sand people or what not when he was upset, he'd of gone to his room, locked himself in and died two days later for no apparent reason.

20. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't know about Michael Chabon, his writing style is fairly different.

How about Eric Nylund? I read his Halo book First Strike, which wasn't bad. I could easily see him doing a Republic Commando-style novel.

21. Darth_KindaEvilGuy

Darth_KindaEvilGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2001
    John Norman...

Jedi of Gor

;)

22. Jedi_Master_Jogum

Jedi_Master_Jogum Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2004
    that dude that wrote Ender's Game...cant remember his name at the moment.... i think his last name is Card.

23. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    His name is Orson Scott Card.

24. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I wouldnt mind seeing Peter F. Hamilton or David Feintuch take a shot at the EU.

25. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I;d love to see Terry Gookdind write EU. His Sword Of Truth series has borrowed many of Campbell's mythology traits as did GL, and I think he'd do really well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.