Saga Against Fate (Obi/ Ani/Palpatine- post TPM, AU) -LAST POST #64- 9/22

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ROGUE_49, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh you'll see what's coming soon! And I'm looking forward to the same stuff you are Kynstar.

Thanks you two!

Rogue
  2. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
  3. KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master

star 4
  4. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4

It was the day after the attack, and Palpatine was seething with impatience. Anyone who dared come close enough to ask him if he needed anything received only the sharpest side of the Chancellor?s tongue in response. The army of Senatorial guards that had been added to an already more than sufficient personal contingent was stifling. Particularly more so since the politician knew that he had not been the target of the attack that had taken place at Letut Coruscan? only hours before. The Jedi who had ?come to his rescue? lay near dead in the Jedi Temple?s hospital wing, according to the holonet, and Obi-Wan Kenobi was off in pursuit of the evil villain who had ordered a hit on the Supreme Chancellor.

He scowled in frustration. The Senate had been transformed into a madhouse, with more guards than one could count. The drama the galactic news service had created based on the barest of facts had inspired a frenzy within the Senate. Now every politician was off and running around in a panic, fearful of the brilliant mastermind who had attempted to assassinate their leader and who was rumored to have planned numerous other hits on important senators.

Palpatine almost laughed aloud at the irony. There was only one hit planned, and though he might be arrogant enough to call himself brilliant, the Sith lord and Chancellor of the Republic took his complex plot far more seriously than the ridiculous drama the news had been reporting.

He had to get out of here though. The chaos was addling his wits. The politician scrubbed his hands against pounding temples as the buzzing conversation around him took on a new ferocity. He?d finally had enough.

?Silence!?

An aide dropped the stack of data pads she?d been holding, a full cup of caff shattered on the ground, and more than one guard reached for their blasters. But every mouth closed, or rather froze in confused surprise. No one uttered a word, except the Chancellor. An almost terrifying smile shone on his face as he spoke.

?You may all leave now.? The head guard parted his lips to speak up in protest, but Palpatine raised a hand and then pointed at him and the man next to him. ?Except for you two, and you may collect that stack and bring it to me as well.? He gestured to the aide who had dropped the data pads. ?I have work to do.?

A few, ?Yes sirs,? were heard as they all filed out of his personal office, but most deigned not to open their mouths again until they were in the busy halls of the Senate. Some had trouble bringing themselves to speak again for days. The Chancellor?s command had been so powerful in their minds?

When all but the two guards he had selected had left, Palpatine called for his personal city transport, checked his pocket for the item he?d placed there earlier and had not removed since, and prepared himself to face objections of him leaving the safety of the Senate complex. Surprisingly there were none. Perhaps he had projected too much Force compulsion into his words, the Sith lord considered. It would be easier to erase their memories after this little trip, however, with there brains already slightly muddled. He could just force them to remain behind, but people would talk enough already with only his two guards. He couldn?t very well go out with none at all.

Besides, it would not do for some overly pretentious street thug to attack an unaccompanied well dressed, middle-aged man out for an evening stroll with hopes of removing the burden of a few credits from his pockets.

But instead of a weighty sum of cred chips, the key to Kenobi?s search lay heavy in the Chancellor?s trouser pockets. The object pulsed brightly albeit threateningly within the strictures of the Force, only contained by the Sith?s own subtle manipulation of power. And power it was. Not even the Jedi Council knew the power than an agent of the Darkside could wield. When his bait was allowed to be set free, only one conclusion could be drawn. Whoever held this mysterious object was no friend of the Light. And neither light nor dark was capable of hi
  5. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ohhh scheming Palps! [face_mischief] I soooo love the guy's tactics back in these days! :D hehehehe

Soooo he's gonna go ahead with his plan instead of waiting it out. Can't wait to find out what it is! [face_devil]

Great job!!
  6. REALbluelightsaber Jedi Knight

star 1
    Another great post!

So Palpatine thinks he can trick Obi-Wan? Well Obi-Wan will show him!

Right?

Can't wait for more!
  7. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    I love writing Palpy because of all his scheming, Kynstar. I feel like it gives me the opportunity to reflect on my deepest, most darkest thoughts [face_evil] Muwahhhhhhaaaa!!!

8-}

Glad you liked Realbl. And you are right to be suspicious...

Rogue

8. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
  9. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
  10. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    I suppose that I may post today... so keep an eye out :)
  11. sdhfs Force Ghost

star 4

Nice story, just caught up again
  12. KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master

star 4
    keep it coming rogue im liking this story alot =D
  13. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    sorry I didn't post yesterday like I said I would... Time just slipped away I guess. I'll try again today though. Thanks for reading guys!
  14. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4

Obi-Wan wiped his bleary eyes with a tired hand. The data terminal in front of him showing the same screen he had been staring at for over an hour now. Still, nothing had jumped out at him, and the Knight had no idea where to look next. He had been through countless Senatorial records. File after file led to the same conclusions. As Palpatine?s notes had suggested, there were plenty of politicians who didn?t like the Jedi, but he had come across no startlingly obvious evidence that blared a warning.

The young Jedi had hoped that by following the few leads the Chancellor had offered him, Obi-Wan might discover something further than conspiratorial bank reco0rds and suspected threats. Jedi were taught to trust their instincts, and Obi-Wan had no doubt that if he got close enough to the truth, it wouldn?t take long for him to uncover it completely. Everyone makes mistakes, Obi-Wan had learned, and even a Sith lord had to leave some kind of trail behind.

The Knight sighed inwardly. He moved his finger down Palpatine?s list of suspicious politicians to reveal the last name on the page. Milan Spyre. The name tugged at something familiar in Obi-Wan?s memory, and he quickly brought to mind the image of a tall, dark, aged looking man. The Senator had done nothing to soften this picture of strict severity when the Jedi had encountered him in the Senate hallway days earlier. Spyre had been terribly unfriendly and rude after colliding with the young Knight outside the Chancellor?s office, an accident Obi-Wan allowed on both sides.

As he read on, Obi-Wan discovered that Spyre?s attitude that day had been nothing out of the ordinary. His strong feelings of resentment and blatant dislike for the Jedi were clearly documented in his files. Spyre had made it his mission when elected to the galactic Senate to hinder the Order in any and all ways possible. He had voted against all legislation favoring the Jedi, regardless of outweighing benefits to the public, and there were even a few financial records that spoke of personal contributions to anti-Jedi causes. Nothing illegal, exactly, but surely nothing quite reputable either.

Obi-Wan scratched at the stubble on his chin, another result of having neither slept nor shaved for three days straight now. He had thus far avoided Healer Bant, but one look at him and the Mon-Cal would have him trussed up and hauled to bed. Nevertheless, this was more important right now. First the Sith; then Anakin; then maybe a good night?s sleep. Thinking of the mischievous Tatooine boy, however, made him doubt that very much.

The Knight stretched tense limbs and settled himself in front of the archive?s data terminal once again. A number of cross-references finally brought up what he was looking for. Quite a few news articles actually seemed to mention Spyre in conjunction with the Jedi, never good things of course.

Obi-Wan had read through more than a dozen of these before anything significant had caught his eye. Milan Spyre had been quoted many times in public news articles, but they had always been highly political statements. Here, the Senator had made a rather personal note of the Jedi?s methods in bringing force-sensitive infants to the Temple for training. Obi-Wans?s brows drew together sharply as he read the politician?s statement.

?I know what it is like to have your family torn apart because of the Jedi. It should not be allowed. People feel as if they have no other choice than to give up their children to this inexplicable cult.?

Obi-Wan exhaled slowly. The Jedi Council had been accused of being nothing more than a cult before, but few politicians sounded so adamant about it. Spyre must have been severely scarred as a result of something the Order had done to actually speak such a thing and then allow it to be published. There was no real way to find how Milan Spyre had been wronged by the Jedi, or more particularly, by their ?recruiting? activities. The Council kept few records as to an individual Jedi?s origins. Once you were accepted by the O
  15. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hehehe Trace wanting to see Obi again *snrk*

Ahhh well he has one out of the bunch to check up on ;) Can't wait to see what he finds out!
  16. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    it looks like I'm posting too fast for everyone to keep up, lol
  17. KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master

star 4
    lol that you are my friend that you are =D still great stuff
  18. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    I really didn't think anyone would complain 8-}
  19. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey guys, if I don't get around to it before I leave for the weekend, I'll try to get another post up sunday when I come back. Thanks.
  20. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yay :) [face_dancing] If you can that's cool, if not juz be safe and have fun! We'll wait until your return :D
  21. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry it's taken so long for me to post, but here it finally is.
  22. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan walked into Valik Trace?s room in the Healer?s ward to the sound of laughter. Trace appeared to be thriving off of the attention of the red headed initiate who had fought to stay at the master?s side since the night he?d been brought in. Bant said he stubbornly argued every time Valik was due for another round of bacta, and the last two nights the little boy had been carried back to the initiate quarters rubbing his eyes and mumbling half-asleep protests. Each morning, Aidan came bounding back into the med center like a lost cub who had found his master. In fact, Obi-Wan didn?t think it would be long before his friend found himself with an official Padawan, as the Knight had.

The two were perfect for each other, Obi-Wan had decided. Valik and Aidan were both notorious troublemakers, clever and stubborn. Valik?s nurturing might curb the boy?s more dangerous instincts while he was young, despite the master?s own tendency towards recklessness. The responsibility to keep his apprentice safe, on the other hand, might halt Trace?s more roguish antics. It was said that his reputation for attracting danger had developed more after the knighting of his former Padawan, Kapstin Reyn. A new Padawan might be just the thing to slow Valik down a bit, especially one as young as Aidan.

Obi-Wan missed a step as he thought about what Anakin?s similar youth meant for the Jedi?s own mission status. He had been looking forward to the freedom that knighthood would bring, but now he had a Padawan too young to go on missions, or at least the exciting ones. Obi-Wan inwardly chastised himself. Now he sounded like a child. In truth, he had had plenty of excitement lately. Enough to almost get him killed, and Valik closer than he. The Knight needed some time to re-center himself. Besides, he was going to train the Chosen One. More importantly, when he finally caught up with the Sith that was trying to kill him, Obi-Wan would be able to do with his Padawan what Valik was doing with Aidan now.

The master and initiate were bent intently over a black and white checkered board, with some of the spaces occupied by two opposing colored game pieces. Each piece was uniquely shaped, and Obi-Wan cringed as he recognized his own engraved face on one of the white marble figures, being controlled by Aidan. The square next to him had the authoritative image of Queen Amidala. Nute Gunray was in black, and had just been attacked by the white Qui-Gon Jinn. It would have been more than a little eerie if the horned beast Obi-Wan had fought on Naboo had hovered behind the revered Master Jedi, but the naïve game manufacturers were not aware of the unrealistic nature of their newest fad. In this case, it was only the Trade Federation verse the Queen of Naboo and her protectors.

Valik looked up from the game he appeared to be losing when Obi-Wan entered, a grin on the older Jedi?s face. He noted the disgusted look his friend had shot at the game, and picked up Obi-Wan?s mini likeness from the board. ?What do you think, Aidan, did they do an accurate portrayal of our Sith killer?? he teased.

The red-head cocked his head to the side, intensely studying the figure. ?I think his forehead is a little bigger.?

Valik roared with laughter. ?He might be right, Obi-Wan.? Then he turned to the little boy. ?Knight Kenobi does have a rather large head, doesn?t he,? Valik stated with a wink.

Aidan giggled, and Valik cuffed him playfully on the head.

?Alright, kid,? he said to the red-head, ?Get out of here. Knight Kenobi and I have some things to talk about. We?ll finish our game later.?

?Promise?? Aidan asked suspiciously.

?Promise,? Valik replied with a smile.

The boy nodded in satisfaction and offered a casual but respectful bow to the two Jedi before exiting the room.

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow at Valik. ?Well, that wasn?t so hard. The way Bant speaks of the monster, it takes more than a simple order to leave your side.?

Valik shrugged. ?We had a little chat this morning when I got out of bacta. He should be a li
  23. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Awww Valik and Aidan [face_love] how sweet!!! I can't wait for him to tell the kid he's gonna take him as his Paddy :) or has he... ack me brain ain't 100% up to par right now.. having major munchkin troubles and not sleeping well the last week and a half. If he has already popped the question I apologize. I don't remeber him doing so.

And if he hasn't... oh I surely can't wait!! :D :D

And the fact that it slipped Obi's mind to tell Valik was funny to *snrk* well now... I'd be suspicious of Dooku too!

Great job!!
  24. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    Nope, you didn't miss anything about Valik and Aidan- it's just a little side story that I couldnt' resist keeping up. But we may never see exactly what happens... we'll see when it comes time to wrap this up.

Glad you enjoyed it Kynstar :)
  25. REALbluelightsaber Jedi Knight

star 1
    A post! Or more accurately, two.

I hope Obi doesn't jump to conclusions with Spyre. He seems to be handling the investigation great, but I thought I'd throw that out there anyway.

Listen to Valik, Obi-Wan, he knows what he's talking about.

I loved the scene with Valik and Aidan-so cute! :D

Obi-Wan cringed as he recognized his own engraved face on one of the white marble figures, being controlled by Aidan...

?What do you think, Aidan, did they do an accurate portrayal of our Sith killer?? he teased.

The red-head cocked his head to the side, intensely studying the figure. ?I think his forehead is a little bigger.?
    [face_laugh]

I like the good-natured teasing between Obi-Wan and Valik, their friendship is really growing. I like it, Obi needs someone like Valik right now. He helps him remember his common sense while also encouraging him to loosen up. ;) :)

Although I'm happy about the account number, I sadly know it isn't going to come back as Palpatine. That would be all too easy.

?I know, Trace. This time I?ll just have to be ready for everything. Oh, I hope so! [face_worried]

Can't wait for more!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.