main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Against the Code - (JA, Qui/Obi) - Response to the Quotation Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Title: Against the Code
    Author: Princess_Arulmozhi
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: Obi and Qui
    Genre: Humour
    Summary: Your perception defines your reality. Or some such thing.
    Notes: My response to the Quotation Roulette challenge. Mine was No: 79: "There is no remedy for love but to love more. -- Henry David Thoreau. I'm surprised at what I came up with. Heh.

Against the Code

Obi-Wan Kenobi settled his chin in his hands, and directed a thoughtful glance at his mentor. ?Master??

?Yes, padawan mine??

?The Code says that attachment is forbidden.?

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn paused in his activity, and quirked an eye-brow at his apprentice. ?Does it, now? I was unaware of it. Thank you for bringing it to my notice.?

The twenty-one year old made an incomprehensible noise, and sat up on the couch. ?Forgive me. That was not how I meant to put it.?

Qui-Gon?s eyes took on a distinctly amused expression. ?Twenty one years, and he still has difficulty putting his thoughts into words,? he spoke mournfully?and had the dubious joy of successfully blocking a multi-coloured bottle that was set on a collision course with his nose. ?Thank you, my padawan,? the master murmured. ?I wished for this bottle?and was wondering how I would access it without getting up, or using the Force unnecessarily.?

Obi-Wan frowned, settling himself more comfortably on his master?s day-couch. ?If I live till the end of the galaxy, I doubt I shall understand why you must needs defy the Council at every single turn?especially when you?re so eager to warn me against frivolous uses of the Force,? he pointed out.

?The privileges attached to being a Master, little one. Understand, and rejoice.?

?Rejoice? I am a Jedi, I don?t rejoice.? Obi-Wan looked mutinous, but his lips were twitching into a smile.

?A vast pity, then,? Qui-Gon spoke, his mind only half on the conversation. ?I always rejoiced when my Master took up some unconventional quirk,? he added.

?No doubt he was setting a precedent,? retorted the padawan. ?But I doubt if even he formed such?unnatural attachments.?

?There?s nothing unnatural about attachment. It?s the most natural thing in existence, padawan. Master Yoda is attached to his younglings, Master Far?a to his hideous skarks, Master Te?kle to her poisonous herbal cordials, Master Windu to purple?ah.? he stopped. ?But on this I may as well remain silent.?

Obi-Wan snorted. ?Why does the Code forbid it, then? There doesn?t seem to be any point to it.?

?The Code forbids attachments which would lead a Jedi to fail in his duty,? The Master spoke, his hands busily handling various implements. ?It does not, however, forbid attachment to things which will not lead us astray.?

?Your attachment won?t lead you astray, then.?

?Certainly not, young one.?

?And you will survive without it.?

?Of course.?

?Then give it up.?

The Master turned piercing blue eyes on the padawan lolling on the couch. ?What did you say? And sit up, please.?

Obi-Wan straightened himself obediently. ?I?m asking you to give up your attachment. It isn?t viewed well by the Council; it hasn?t brought you any honour, aside from adjectives that you?d do well without??

?So.? Qui-Gon shot a sharp look at the apprentice. ?You?ve begun to instruct me, have you??

Obi-Wan tucked his legs underneath him. ?I wouldn?t presume to,? he replied, his voice a good blend of docility and mischief. ?It would have no effect, I know.? And was promptly rewarded with the bottle he had sent, catching it as it barely swept by his temple. ?But I am asking you to consider it.?

?I see no reason to, little one. It does not hinder my work, it is rarely a distraction, it adds to my distinguished mien?? The Master ignored another snort from his padawan. ?And it irritates the Council?something I?ve always hoped to achieve.?

?You could give this up if you tried.?

?Even if I could, I wouldn?t.?

?It has become m

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    snag

Yeah, I saw this up and wanted the first reply... what can I say.... :D :D :p

Master Windu to purple?ah.? he stopped. ?But on this I may as well remain silent.? I can so see that.

The quote certainly is Qui-Gon and you did extreme justice to both!! [face_laugh]

3. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    snag? Nice review, Leona *grins*

Anyway, love how you added that quote in. And the relevation at the end that perhaps he wasn't quite so insane after all... *grins*

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was adorable, P_A. I loved how you were able to put the quote into the story and make it even more humorous with Helg Deviath Thor the Insane:p What a name!

Great job. May he always have such attachments!

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Lovely Princess!! Great response to the challenge! =D=

6. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    It took you an hour and twenty-five minutes. *checked her sent PM time* [face_plain] Shall never forgive you. ;)

And what a lovely, unexpected response to the quotation! :D Great interpretation and great job working the quote into the story. Mace and purple = priceless. :)

7. PadawanEstel

PadawanEstel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    ?The Code says that attachment is forbidden.?

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn paused in his activity, and quirked an eye-brow at his apprentice. ?Does it, now? I was unaware of it. Thank you for bringing it to my notice.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    That was too funny - and so Qui-Gon like, too! Very cute, P_A An hour and 25 minutes?!? :eek: *walks off spluttering*

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You all are killing me! My muse hasn't stopped laughing at me since I got my quote! Well done, but I'm still jealous! Grrr...

=D=

9. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    [face_laugh] That was priceless! [face_laugh]

10. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm always a fan of seeing Qui and Obi with some down time... and you did it expertly! Nice voices given to the characters, and great use of the quote!

11. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    Wonderfully done to fit in with the quote. I'm not a huge Qui-Gon fan but he seems far more human here and that can only be a good thing!

Good job pal!

12. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    That was most excellent! I can so see Qui-Gon saying all that stuff. He's such a character. :p

Good job with the challenge. :D

13. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    *sigh*

I just loved it. [face_love]

14. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Healer_Leona: LOL. I must admit that when I first saw 'snag', my heart leapt into my mouth, and I began to wonder what exactly I'd done wrong. :D. The quote does sound like something Qui would say, doesn't it? :D Thank you, m'dear.

Alethia: Ah, welcome, Crazy Sith twin of Meg. Glad you liked it. Thanks. <whispers> And don't mind HL. :D

dianethx: He has many, many attachments. Such as exotic dancing - faith, m'lady, he's even attached to stones! :eek: LOL. Thank you. :D

Layren: Thanks. :)

vader_incarnate: <goes down on her knees and begs> Would another viggie - this time an angsty one - satisfy you? Pretty please? :D .

Thanks so much.

PadawanEstel: LOL - I'd no idea I'd finish it that quickly either. I read the quote, and then this bunny snapped me up. :D. Thanks.

VaderLVR64: Ack! Two mods checking in! Woohoo! <hands Vadey the magic carrot that entices bunnies> And may the Force bite you. :D

jedi_of_ennth: Thank'ee kindly. :)

The Musical Jedi: I like to write them when they're not on dangerous missions. :) Thanks!

cdmcc: <yells> Hello there! thanks for dropping by - and glad you liked Qui. I always see him as human anyway - and definoitely not a buckethead. :D

Commander-DWH: Thank you. :)

LuvEwan: Thank you, my dear. [face_blush] (And your sig's killing me. [face_laugh] )

EDIT: <looks at purty purty colours...>

15. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, what a lovely vig. I thought for sure you were going to zing us at the end and have Qui-Gon be attached to his hair or something . . . but I ended up all confused. Oh well. I really enjoyed it. You have a gift for banter.

And I loved the image of Obi lolling around on the sofa like a typical teenager. :D I got an image of him laying upside, with his back on the seat cushion and his feet hanging over the back of the couch, as my brother sometimes "sits" on the couch . . . It made me happy.

Thanks!

16. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    LOL, highly amusing viggie! Great job!

17. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Ooh, very lovely! I really like the banter between Qui and Obi, you write them very well. Loved it! :)

18. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    [:D]

Wow Master, you work fast. And I was just about to go to bed when I had to read this.

~flops into her seat to read~

Master! This is awesome. (typing would be alot easier if I could see my keyboard....)

Oh, this was just wonderous. But your Jinn on the Code always is.

Plain wonderful Master!

Seven

19. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Oh, that was HILARIOUS!! Obi-Wan was so funny how he was getting on Qui-Gon about his hair...I wonder if Obi-Wan is attached to anything...unnatural! Well done!

20. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    A most excellent viggie and a fantastic response to the challenge. I loved it! I am a sucker for stories where they get along like I think they must have based on the movie.

=D=

KD

21. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    Wow, that was lovely! :)

Makes me guilty that I haven't started writing mine yet.

22. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh. Spent so much time writing replies...only to have them all vanish into nothing. Gah!

Ah, well. Serves me right for having taken so long to get to it.

May: Thanks so much.

>>>but I ended up all confused>>>

Eh? I wonder why...I thought I'd made his rule about attachments quite clear, and that though his hair was very important, there was something else much more important than that. Actually the point I was trying to bring was that Qui is that kind of 'opposite' person - you'd think all he cared about was his hair and all...but in truth, he cares deeply about other things. He's a bunch of contradictions, that one. Oh, how I love that guy. [face_love]

Loved the image of Obi lolling about too - though I'd imagined him as sitting slightly lopsided. I doubt Qui would allow any upside down postures, even in the privacy of their quarters. :D

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi: Thanks! :)

Jedi_Tigris: Glad you liked. Thanks!

Seven: <hugs her paddywan> Thanks you so much, little One. If you think that was fast, you might have to revise your opinion - I haven?t even started on the second quote yet. Sigh...

Laura_Anu: Thank'ee kindly. I wonder about Obi's attachments too. [face_batting]

Knight_Dilettante: KD! That's exactly it. I write based on what they project in the movie, rather than the JA, which leaves me feeling rather cold, truth be told. Although I borrow the incidents. :D Thank you.

corellian-jedi: <offers c_j a brimming glass of Corellian Fire-whiskey> Hic. Thank you sho much. Hic. :D

And a big thanks to Jade too! [face_mischief]

23. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    ?I see no reason to, little one. It does not hinder my work, it is rarely a distraction, it adds to my distinguished mien?? The Master ignored another snort from his padawan. ?And it irritates the Council?something I?ve always hoped to achieve.?

So nice to see Qui-Gon achieving his goals! ;)

24. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    It is, isn't it? Unstoppable Qui. :D

Thanks!

25. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Again, I can't begin to express how much I enjoy watching your Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon spar verbally. Their diction is so formal and precise (just as I imagine them) and it is so much fun to read. But the Mace and purple line really cracked me up... ("And on this we will be silent." *giggle snort*)

*toasts to Qui* May he always have attachments!

Stormqueen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.