main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot! Now Disc. "The Labours of Hercules"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Katana_Geldar, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    [image=http://sitegenerator.bibliotheek.nl/publiekskrakers/img/archief/hercule%20poirot.gif] [image=http://www25.brinkster.com/agathachristie/IMAGES/Albert_Finney_in_Murder_on_the_Orient_Express_001.jpg] [image=http://www.cactuslanguage.com/en/cactus/newsletter/images/ustinov.jpg]

Loathed by the author, loved by readers and played by quite a few different actors, I hereby propose we have a discussion of not only Poirot as a character, but of each of the stories and novels in the series in chronlogical order.

First we can just have a discussion of his character and the actors who portrayed him. IMHO David Suchet is the best but perhaps this is because he played him for so long. Albert Finney is just odd and Peter Ustinov only remotely looks like him, the good actor he is and all.

One thing you can say about him is his fastidiousness, Hastings says once that he believe a speck of dirt would have caused him more injury than a bullet wound. And though Finney is odd as Poirot in the Orient Express movie, it was a nice touch for Poirot to have a hairnet for his famous moustaches!

I prefer Poirot's methods of detection much more than Marple's and even to Holmes. Unlike Marple, who rarely reveals anything to the reader as she often lacks "a Watson", and unlike Holmes whose methods are far more scientific and harder to follow, Poirot bases his deductions on the psychology. And he isn't always right! Remember the chocolate box!

This quote I think sums him up perfectly, it's from the short story The Kidnapped Prime Minister
    Now all I need is a mod who's willing to sponsor this thread to change the title and we'll be underway!

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    You got it...good idea. Agatha Christie was one of the very best plotters going.

3. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    All right, let's get this show on the road then.

Once we've done a little on character, we should move onto a discussion of The Chocolate Box , the earliest story in chronology

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Never heard of that story...?

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm currently watching through the Suchet series. I finished season one not long ago and more eps are in my Netflix queue. He's the definitive, of course, and his supporting cast is equally brilliant. These are the best Christie adaptations around, if you ask me.

Chocolate Box takes place while he's still an officer in Belgium, if memory serves. Don't believe I've read it though and I haven't seen the episode yet.

6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I saw Murder on the Orient Express a while back and absolutely loved it. I thought Albert Finney was a hoot. It's the only Hercule Poirot film I've seen but I'd like to see more.

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Suchet is perhaps the best Poirot to date, I watched Finney after I had seen Suchet and was like :confused:

Poirot would NEVER yell at a lady, even if she was a murderer

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Ustinov--in "Death on the Nile"--is not bad, but the wrong physical type. Tony Randall--in "The ABC Murders"--is the right physical type but all wrong otherwise.

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    What does Tony Randall look like?

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    [image=http://www.deliciousdeath.com/image/vhs/25UVHS1.jpg]

Excuse me, it's called "The Alphabet Murders"...

11. EvilFishy

EvilFishy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2008
    I haven't seen any of the adapted movies, but I've read many novels by her. The Hercule Poirot series is my favorite.

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Eh? He looks more like a dark-haired Hastings than Poirot.

Long live Suchet!

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    No, Suchet is the best. Have you seen a BBC production wherein Poirot meets Agatha Christie?

14. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    ,,No, Suchet is the best. Have you seen a BBC production wherein Poirot meets Agatha Christie?,,
    When i was long and spent a lot of time with my grandma isurely saw a lot of Suche.
    I remeber an episode in wich a russian baroness,or something like that exiled from russia becuse of the regime change in 1917 stole a necklace,and Poirot let her run because he fel inlove with her.
    Which episode it was,can someone give me an imdb link?

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    That would be "The Double Clue" and the woman in question is Countess Vera Rossakoff, a professional thief and the only woman to touch Poirot's heart. Nothing ever happens between them, though he does send the Countess a dozen red roses and Miss Lemon and Hastings strongly suspect the feeling he has for her.

16. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Thanks.

17. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I own Murder On The Orient Express and always stop to watch Death On The Nile should it come on television. I enjoy both Peter Ustinov and Albert Finney's performances.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The best thing about Agatha Christie is her plotting ability. Robert Barnard wrote a very interesting book about that...I have a copy. Her misdirection is extremely skilled.

19. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I know, remember The Murder of Roger Ackroyd? Brilliant.

I'll get round to the discussion of individual stories next week, will have more time.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes, I remember Lord Edgeware Dies; reading that, I felt incredibly intelligent as I slowly unravelled the mystery. When the curtain fell, I realized I had been very nearly completely right in almost every detail about how the crime had been committed. Alas, I'd pinned the (correct) method to the wrong person. And that, I realized, was exactly what Christie had been leading me to do. Brilliant strategist; at her best, her novels are like chess games. . . you think you're playing along and then realize that she's been manipulating you into every move along the way.

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Sometimes she tricks you, I read The Mystery of the Blue Train and when Ruth Ketting's face was disfigured I thought that it was not her that had been murdered but someone else.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    A great example of her turning a cliche on its head; I've read so many mysteries where people faked their deaths that anymore I just assume if a body is mutilated it isn't really who it's supposed to be. And the moment Christie knows that's something you'll assume, she'll turn the tables on you.

23. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Or in the Mysterious Affair at Styles, which was wonderful the way they worked together.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I remember "Styles" as pretty bad and very Sherlocky--she was just getting started.

25. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    It was slightly Sherlocky, but without Sherock's science. A lot of the science she reuses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.