main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Age of Five] Last of the White

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: Last of the White
    Characters: Auraya
    Timeframe: Several decades post-Voice of the Gods
    Summary: After many years, Auraya returns to Jarime one last time.
    Notes: I just finished rereading Trudi Canavan's Age of Five trilogy (for about the fifth time :p ) and this story just came to me--so I was really excited when I checked her website and learned that she allows fanfic :D This isn't necessarily what I think did happen, but what I think should happen.

Last of the White

Auraya hadn?t been to Jarime in a long time.

In large part because it no longer felt like home to her?hadn?t felt like home since she?d chosen the pleasure of mountains and the lives of her beloved flying people over the highest honor in the world.

And then it was because she knew she would no longer be welcome here.

So the months faded into years, and years gave way to decades, and the world changed.

And Auraya came back to Jarime one more time.

She doubted she would be recognized after all this time?not because she had changed (in fact, she hadn?t changed at all), but because there were few here who would remember?or would care to remember?the way she looked.

And human memory faded, after a while, which she had cause to know.

Still, it was better to be safe than sorry?and there was only one human in all of Ithania, North or South, who could fly, so her usual method of travelling would get her unwanted attention. She chose, instead, to land far enough outside the city that no one would see her, but still close enough to walk in without taking too long.

It was late afternoon by the time she made it to the city center. She took care not to attract attention to herself, but she couldn?t help glancing around at this place she?d once called home. It had changed, and it hadn?t. She recognized the streets she walked, but they were different?once-poor areas were now the home of merchants, and formerly reputable sections had fallen into disrepair.

And she saw no white-garbed figures walking the streets. That, too, had changed.

For the better, she thought, though she had once been one of those priests in white.

Auraya was no Dreamweaver, but she was familiar with them (very familiar with them), so she recognized the signs that would point her to the Dreamweaver House in Jarime (all the while marveling that the Dreamweavers had a House here again). The Dreamweavers often offered hospitality to strangers, and would do so without asking awkward questions.

Though in this place, she knew, she would most easily be recognized?and in this place, she didn?t mind.

Being the lover of the Dreamweaver?s founder and leader had advantages.

Her knock was quickly answered by a smiling woman in her late sixties or so (being in Si, away from most humans, had made it harder for her to tell a person?s age, especially since her own body had stopped aging since her mid-twenties).

?Come in,? the Dreamweaver said. ?I?m Tigan, the leader of the Dreamweavers here in Jarime. You are very welcome, Auraya.?

Auraya smiled and nodded her thanks. ?I had wondered if I would be known here,? she said simply.

?Well, you?ve been expected, dear.?

Auraya raised her eyebrows. ?I have??

?Mirar thought you might come.?

Of course. Auraya sighed a little, but she smiled all the same. She hadn?t told Mirar what she?d intended?she didn?t think he would approve. But he knew her well enough to guess . . . and was kind enough that, even though he would probably never return to the city where he?d almost died, he?d made arrangements for her.

Tigan smiled again. ?He loves you.?

Something that against startled Auraya?and again, shouldn?t have. ?Dream links?? she guessed.

Tigan laughed. ?Yes?and I?ve met him once or twice, though it?s been many years. I?m originally from Somrey. Dreamweaver Arleej?and Raeli, after Arleej died?asked me to come here when the restrictions on Dreamweavers in Hannia finally loosened and we established the hous

2. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    That was really beautiful! I'm glad to see that they made up in the end.

I recently got hooked on Trudi Cavanan myself. <3 I know this is a one-shot, but if you ever write anything in her universe, please do shoot me a PM.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks!! Wow, I didn't think anyone else was into her!! I love the Age of Five especially [face_love]

I like Juran. For all his faults, he was a good leader, and an enjoyable character. They probably wouldn't have made up, but I wanted them to :p

Absolutely!! I've added you to my PM list :) I don't know when/if I'll right another, but I'll definitely let you know if I do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.