main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Age of Kings: The Conquerors

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Insane Anakin, Jan 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    The old thread is too big and cluttered now, so I'll start a new one. Starting tonight, I'll post links to good strategies, recorded games, etc. Get this game, folks.

2. Krayt Tion

Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 16, 1999
    mmmm. pre-ban posts are tasty. this is a good game, btw, and you should all get it and come play it with us.

3. Xevious

Xevious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2001
    Cool... you guys play this? I need to play with you all sometime. =)

4. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    Yup, I know there's at least 6 of us here that play regularly.

5. Krayt Tion

Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 16, 1999
    we might be able to reach 8 players in one game these days, who knows. gettin close.

6. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Dan
    Krayt
    Dum
    Sky
    IA
    Howl
    Darth Simpson
    Xevious

That would be so cool. Maybe even mre people have it. But I wouldn't want to play with more than 8 at a time.

7. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    You can't, don't worry.

This is widely regarded as one of the best (if not the) recorded games in Age of Kings: The Conquerors history. The victory is decided by about 1 second.

http://www.mrfixitonline.com/readPosting.asp?PostingId=221674

Simply unzip the file into your Program Files/Age of Empires II/SaveGame folder.

I'll only post RM games, since they are better. Plus, the style of DM that is played on the Zone, and in ladder play, or in any competitive play, is very bland to watch. Post-Imp, etc.

8. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    Probably the funniest game you'll ever watch.

http://www.ageofkings.cc/readPosting.asp?PostingId=188267

9. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Oh man.... that first one is a must-see. You need about 30 to 40 minutes to watch it. But, my God, the ending.... I won't ruin it for you, but it was incredible. Gotta see the second one now.

10. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    That..... was........ amazing.

And I'm not just talking about the incredible finale battle (have you seen any more bodies?). All the so-called little battles.... it could have gone anyway at anytime. If only that guy hadn't quit halfway...

11. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    OMG..... I still can't believe what I just saw. Get it now.

12. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    *I'm an admin so I get to post three times in a row within a few minutes without repurcussions. =P*

One thing I noticed.....

Their fighting and expansion style initially seemed to be quite, historically speaking, civilized and formal - regular engagements and small skirmishes. It gradually disintegrated into, historically speaking, barbarian warfare where the ability and skill the invaders use in attacking and perfusion was actively pursued... Nothing like the more, historically speaking, formal engagements we use. =) Their landings and initial breakthroughs could have been much easier for our larger en masse combined arms blitzkriegs but I doubt our, or at least my holding of land could not surpass there's. I prefer the, historically speaking, traditional way of medieval warfare. =)

Historically speaking, my army would laugh at their barbaric but highly effective ways. =)

13. Xevious

Jan 7, 2001
    My God!!! That first game was pretty cool! The first half seemed really slow. I was not impressed at all. But as soon as it picked up... d@mn.

14. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i got the conquerors pride a month or so ago...it is pretty cool, the farm queue system is great, but i notice on single player the computer seems to be crap even on hard skill ratings....

15. Jan-go-fettch

Jan-go-fettch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2000
    Is it a strategy game? I need more info before I invest in it, like how much $ is it.

16. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I'm off to watch those games now... =)

17. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Yeah, it's strategy. Basically, you choose one of 15 or so civilizations. You begin with a town center and usually 3 villagers, depending on your civilization. You build villies in the town center. You get resources-food, stone, wood, gold. From there, you get new and better... stuff, I guess, by researching new ages. Every time you get to a new era, you can get better, faster, stronger things.

Anyway, looking back at that, that description sucks. Maybe someone else could do a better job. Look at some reviews from good web sites like IGN and Microsoft's official page for it. For both it's like $70. But it's definitely worth it.

18. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    neat game, very very close finale, I like =)

It's funny cos all 8 of them has the same beginning tactics. They won't stand a chance against IA's early attacks (unless they had the post-Imp attack rule, but I doubt it). I haven't seen a palisade blockade of a building and mines before this.

My computer feels 6 people in the map, let alone play 8.

Still, can't wait to play you guys again

19. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    "It's funny cos all 8 of them has the same beginning tactics."

Umm... how so? You boom in a team game. What are ya talking about?

20. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    Oh, let's try for a game tonight. 9:30 CST! Everyone try to make it.

21. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I've won my latest games as of yet (not including the roomie ones with Howl). If I recall, I've won our last 2 encounters =)

The interesting thing which I noted (not that it was wrong) was their relatively slow upgrade, so very different to the jcn.gl style. And lack of defense, which is just as well cos they all (well, mostly) concentrated on offense which worked.

9:30 CST? I'll try to make it

Howlie - I want a roomie! =P

22. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Hey, that's cool. Good buy.

I won't make it tonight. I don't know about you guys, but I have to get up for school at 6 am. Gotta get at least a little sleep.

23. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    Bah. Should've started later. Gotta remember some people have to work until 9 or so, and then drive 30 min. home. :-(

24. Darth_Mameluke

Darth_Mameluke Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2000
    Hey cool.... Someone else plays my favorite game :)

I'm alright with it, I like Persians and Mayans the best. Saracens and Japs come next

25. Xevious

Jan 7, 2001
    Couldn't play tonight. I'm taking an SQL exam tomorrow that I'm trying to cram for. =(

How do you guys play? Do you play on The Zone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.