main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Age of Luke

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by theman54, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theman54

theman54 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2005
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6355/SWGallery/Luke_rotj.jpg]

He is supposed to be 24 at this point, he looks ten years older than that.

2. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    A car crash and a bad cocaine habit can do that to a person. In universe, Luke's...rugged...look is attributed to the injuries he sustained at the hands of the wampa back on Hoth.

3. theman54

theman54 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2005
    are you serious about the wompa?

4. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Yes, watch ANH and then the last parts of ESB he looks a little older and rugged compaired to what he looked like throughout ANH.

5. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Wasn't Luke 23 in RotJ?

6. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    hmmmm.... 23 or 24?
    This really matters?

7. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    It doesn't, but since Anakin was supposed to be around 23 in RotS, I figured it was somewhat symbolic if Luke was 23 in RotJ.

8. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Right on![face_blush]

9. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Mark Hammill was around thirty when ROTJ was filmed, if I'm not mistaken, so he was not quite ten years older than his character. They should have kept Luke's hair longer; that would've made him look younger in my opinion. ROTJ still rules though.

Plus, that's not the most flattering picture of young Luke.

10. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    Maybe I'm wrong, but i don't think Mark Hamill ever had a "bad cocaine habit". Carrie Fisher on the other hand... DID.

11. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    "He is supposed to be 24 at this point, he looks ten years older than that."

Maybe because Hamill at the time was about ten years older than that? ;)

12. OriginalJedi320

OriginalJedi320 Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Mark Hamill was actually around 32 when ROTJ was released.

13. Commander_Bly05

Commander_Bly05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2005
    I don't think Hamill looked older than 23 years old on Return of the Jedi. Besides, the car accident caused damage to his face that he had to have plastic surgeries to reconstruct his face, and the main reason why they had to shoot that scene of Luke and the wampa creature on Hoth.

On the other hand, Hamill really looked like a 18-19 year old boy in A New Hope when he was like 25 years old by that time, and appeared more mature on the other two sequels.

14. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I figure it like this:
    No one can predict how they, or anyone else is going to age. So yes, Mark Hamill looked much younger than 25/26 in ANH. And he had a rough couple of years inbetween the filming of ANH and RotJ (ie - the car accident), and that's hard on a person.
    That being said, some people look much younger than their age, and some look a lot older than their actual age. I don't think it's that big of a deal. As long as Mark didn't look like he needed a cane or walker to function (and I mean no offense to those people who do need support from canes and walkers) in RotJ, he looked/acted close enough to his age. And he didn't need any such device.

15. Commander_Bly05

Commander_Bly05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2005
    I think is just fine for me either ... At least, it is Mark Hamill playing Luke on those three films ... Nothing changed... [face_peace]

16. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Alot of actors have/had a cocaine habit, contrary to popular belief one can control it for a long long time and not everyone is like Courtney Love.

Rugged looks? Yeah coke and car accidents, thats life for a movie stahr..... (unless your Mel Gibson) :p

17. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    This may come off the wrong way, but I can see Courtney Love as a character in Star Wars...Mrs. Jar Jar Binks...[face_whistling]

18. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    And this is what'll happen to her.

[image=http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/picard/32/vader/block2.jpg]

19. FollowerOfSidious

FollowerOfSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    Revenge of the Sith:0 yrs. old
    A New Hope:19 yrs. old
    The Empire Strikes Back:22 yrs. old
    Return of the Jedi:23 yrs. old

Simple enough?

20. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    ^^^^ He speaks the truth.

21. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    That's the timeline I follow, too.

22. Constant_shadow

Constant_shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Considering he had been living 20 years on a planet with TWO suns I'm not surprised he looks that old. :p

I think that the battle injuries are the Star Wars answer for that.

23. vaders_cape

vaders_cape Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2005
    1 year between ESB and ROTJ? I thought Han had been frozen in carbonite for 2 years..?

Hamill's car accident did much to change his face, but I don't think he looked that much older. In fact I think the result did much to add to his character. Gone was the fresh faced kid, in came the battle scared and wiser hero.

Besides, I'd sooner have an actor who's a wee bit older than the character but can actually act and show depth, than one who is the age of the character and doesn't have the maturity to carry off the part.

I think Hamill was absolutely grand in ESB and ROTJ. [face_batting]

24. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The ESB novelization says Luke was 23 at the beginning. How much time Han was frozen is a mistery (as well as how much time was spent on their way to Bespin/Dagobah). But, besides RL issues of car accidents and whatever, I think that finding out that your Dad is Darth Vader is enough to age anybody ten years overnight.

25. invader_jenny

invader_jenny Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    I always saw it as this

ANH - 19
    ESB - 22
    ROTJ- 23

Anakin was 23 when he was tempted by the dark side, so it only makes sense that Luke would be tempted at the same age.

I always found Mark Hamill to look a lot older in ROTJ then the other two films. Before I read the books or heard any thing about him I thought it was
    ANH - 23
    ESB - 27
    ROTJ- 31

But that is okay. Luke lived a hard life, so I'll just say he looks his "wisedom," not his age.

And Mark Hamill never had a cocain habit. That was Carrie Fisher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.