main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Age of the Republic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ThrawnRocks, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I'm reading Shatterpoint and I noticed several times that they mentioned that the Republic was 1000 years old. I was under the impression that the Republic was much older. So is this an offical number, or is it not comsidered canon? If this is not real, what is the offical age of the Republic?

2. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    The Old Republic has existed in one form or another for 25000 years. It was restructured following the Battle of Ruusan approximately 1000 years BBY.

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    It's an "official number," all right, and it's (now) most certainly canon, but the "1,000 years" figure was an unfortunate case of Lucas contradicting his own personal, film-to-film continuity.

On another note, we now have that "Coruscant glittering for 500 years" quote from Cestus Decption...

4. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Actually, Leto, it was a case of Ian McDiarmid flubbing the line, and George not catching it.

5. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Nope, 'cause it was in the earliest script drafts written by Lucas; the later drafts got re-jobbed by Hales -- who, between them both, *still* didn't catch it -- and Bob's yer uncle.

Vapor-lock, for the most part.

6. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Don?t know where you heard that, but the Ask the LFL Jedi Coucil made it clear that the original fault lay in McDiarmid flubbing th line and George not catching it when editing.

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Can you link us that?

Hard to believe you sctually heard that.

Strange that we have not. ;)

8. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    What exactly did he say? I remember a part where Palpster says "I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand-" and that's all I rember. But I thought he said a thousand generations, or are you guys disputing a different line?

9. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    He said a thousand years.

10. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Well that explanes the confusion.

11. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Checking the ask rthe jedi council archives and I don't see a single refernce to the confusion over the age of the Republic.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, maybe no one bothered to ask the Jedi Council.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> On another note, we now have that "Coruscant glittering for 500 years" quote from Cestus Decption...<<

So I'm not the only one that felt that line seemed out of place?

14. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Nothing big-big, except that it needs reconciling with what we have in hand regarding the post-"Ruusan" period. Unlikely -- given how fast things progress post-Emperor Reborn and post-Vong -- but might it've somehow taken 500 years to reconstruct the capitol?

Or was the seat of government moved off-world for a number of decades/centuries prior to a formal reinstallation there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.