main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Agenda For Organizational Meeting on Thursday

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    A meeting was called for Thursday evening to discuss the future of the SDSWS. The following issues are on the list for discussion and will need to be voted on:

1)Adoption of the "palm tree" logo (Designed by fx88) as the SDSWS official logo. (Anyone know about copyright protection? Do we need to take steps to protect our logo?)

2)Using Cafepress or some other vendor to produce/distribute T-Shirts and other items bearing the official logo. (The Seattle Star Wars Society uses Cafepress so it is most likely the way we will go but we will probably need a secondary vendor to make items for our group "other" than t-shirts, caps, etc.)

3)Voting on whether or not to use the proceeds from the t-shirt sales for:

a)A new SDSWS banner/s
    b)A table at the San Diego Comic Con
    c)Anything else you think the SDSWS needs?

4)How will the money generated from T-shirt sales be handled? Who will be in charge of the money, will we set up a bank account, who will be the co-signers on the bank account? (If we open a SDSWS bank account, I suggest 3 names be on the account, and in order to write/cash a check all three members must sign)

5)Discussion of our new website. Suggestions for things to be added to our website.

6)SDSWS video. Homeless_Jedi is working on a SDSWS video that "if" we have a table at the comic con, will be played at the comic con. The purpose of the video is to showcase our group and our activities and to generate increased membership. (Homeless_Jedi, if you could speak about your project for a few minutes, it would be appreciated).

7)Scheduling of meetings through the end of the year. Bring your calendars to mark down the dates and times of the meetings for the rest of the year. We will also discuss how many meetings to hold per month, 1, 2 or more?

8)Discussion and scheduling of events for the rest of the year. (A calendar would be helpfull here as well) Be prepared to discuss what events you would like the SDSWS to sponsor. Be prepared to tell us where the event will be held, and have an estimate of the projected cost to each person to participate. Events that have already been proposed and need voting on include:

a)Star Wars Red Eye Movie Marathon
    b)Member Toy Fair
    c)Learn how to build your own Star Wars Lightsaber! (and contest)
    d)Star Wars Role-playing game
    e)Laser Tag with fellow fans
    f)Padre games with fellow fans (Anyone have a schedule of games?)
    g)San Diego Comic Con
    h)Halloween Party
    I)Beach/Bay picnics/barbecues
    J)Softball teams?
    K)Hiking, camping trips
    L)Anything else?

9)Anything not mentioned above, you may bring up for discussion after the above has been discussed and voted on.

***By my estimates we have 13 people planning to attend, if you have not posted here or emailed me that you will be attending, please do so ASAP. See you tomorrow!

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    another thing we might want to schedule is a semi-regular collector's trade session...
    or create a collector's circle, where if a person is out scavenging, others can post what they need.. that way we can spread out and beat the scalpers at their own game.

3. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Thanks, Mara. This looks great.

As far as copyright goes, just the copyright symbol and year is enough to hold up in court. You can file the paperwork if you want to but it takes a looooooong time to get a response.

And for this type of logo I don't think we're going to get into much legal wrangling. As long as the design is original and we have enough people to verify that it belongs to the organization then we're fine.

(I studied some media law in college, and as far as I know things haven't changed that much.)

4. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    Again, I'd love to come, but I can't. Mara - if you'd like, I can PM you my opinions on the above subjects. I think the other members who won't be able to show up should do the same so you have more input.

5. SavageFan

SavageFan Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    I've set up a bank account for a non-profit before. It's been a few years, but the important thing is to get the right IRS paperwork so no one has to PAY TAXES on the interest of the account.

If asked, I would be happy to help set things up, but since I?m new to the group, and moving I?m not the right person to be a Treasurer.

Of course I'd recommend that there be 2 signers on all expenditures (City Rep and Treasurer). And 3 on the signing card (so that if one moves, the other two can validate the addition of a replacement on the signature card with the bank. This is a frequent problem with our mobile society. The two signatures is a hassle, but necessary because even with such great people as are SW fans, sometimes people forget which money is theirs and which is the NFP they work with.

6. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Is the club set up as a non-profit?

I just finished creating a non-profit organization and it takes a long time to get cleared, especially from the IRS.

Another way you can handle the banking is to setup up a PayPal account and handle deposits and withdrawals through them. Their interest rate isn't bad either. Tax-wise, I don't think the club would make enough to interest the feds; it would have to be over $1000.

Just my two-credit's worth.

7. Darth_Vegeta

Darth_Vegeta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    Would it be possible for the lightsaber construction meeting to also include costume tips? (ie. fabric to use, where to buy, etc) I have the thing all planned out but have no clue how to go about making it. Please e-mail if you have tips. (darthsilentbob@yahoo.com)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.