Lit Agent of the Empire #7: Hard Targets, part 2 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [IMG]

Writer:
    John Ostrander
    Penciller: Davidé Fabbri
    Inker: Christian Dalla Vecchia
    Colorist: Wes Dzioba
    Cover Artist: Stéphane Roux

Imperial Agent Jahan Cross doesn’t like his assignment or the politicians he is forced to work with. Yet dealing with all of that is easier than coming to terms with his growing respect for a boy whose father he killed—especially when that boy is supposed to be merely a political pawn of the Empire.

When attackers kidnap the boy, Cross finds himself turning his back on his mission and putting his life on the line for a “pawn.” No job is too dangerous for an Agent of the Empire!
  2. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    You know what the best kind of adventure is? The kind with rope-swinging.
    Gorefiend and cdgodin like this.
  3. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    Don't worry if you miss the landing, it's just a matte painting.
  4. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    Preview zup.

"Then, like the rest of the galaxy, you know nothing."
  5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Did nobody tell Cross that his pants weren't matching? How embarrassing.
  6. Cronal Force Ghost

star 4
    One word people.... Skyfall.... yeah, this ones out now :p Thought I would bump it up for discussion.
  7. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Gotta say, I loved the issue and love the arc so far. I love that Serenno is being used and is being fleshed out in ways that make it so much more than simply "Dooku's homeworld". Agent Cross continues to be an awesome character. Ironically, after I grabbed this issue at my LCS, I went and saw Skyfall. :p After that, I will always imagine Cross with a British accent. It fits perfectly. Not to say that Cross is a Bond copy, but there are unmistakable influences there and I think it ties the character together rather nicely.

@JohnOstrander1

Keep up the good work, my friend! Top notch as always. Cannot wait to see more. :cool:

--Adm. Nick
    Cronal likes this.
  8. Cronal Force Ghost

star 4
    When I saw the Windrunner, I thought 'Skyfall would be an appropriate word here' :p I particularly liked the Cleansing of Serenno... very brutal and very Vaderish in my view.
  9. San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

I give this a shot despite my fears of canon going boom.
  10. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Great issue. I liked the interactions between Cross and his dad. Vex seems interesting, especially since she seems to live up to her name as a vexing character, particularly for Cross.
  11. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Haven't yet seen Skyfall but it'd be great to have a homage to it, Cross is thought dead, turns up in Armand Isard's office and we get:

"Where the hell have you been?"
    "Enjoying death."
  12. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Skyfall's great.

Daddy Cross is an interesting character. Openly prefers the Old Republic. How curious.

The cleansing of Serenno was... strange. A bit unnecessary, although I understand that Lord Vader wanted to be merciful and needed a good reason to spare traitors. They should all be thankful for Imperial kindness.

The child Dooku is very wise to the world. I wonder why he's being kidnapped. It's interesting to see an antagonist for Cross that already knows how he operates.

Also the vaguely steampunk airships are pretty cool.
  13. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Air ships and air ship pirates, how can this not be awesome? :D
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Somehow I managed to miss the first issue of this (did it hit during Sandy? That might explain things). Back to the store I go, Monday...
  15. Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Knight

star 1
    The story is shaping up nicely. i wonder when is Vex going to change her hair color.
  16. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Got this yesterday. Awesome!!! Although admittedly I'm biased, being a fan of all things steampunk. And you can't go wrong with pirates.

I'm starting to like the little brat. Usually I hate kids in stories, but he's so pragmatically morbid I can't help but pity him.

The whole "cleansing of Serreno" fiasco was interesting. I particularly liked how Borgin was behaving like a carefree chump when he told the story to Cross, but in actuality he appeared devastated by his decision in the flashback. Complex villains FTW.
    Zorrixor likes this.
  17. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Quite right.

[IMG]
  18. jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire

VIP
    star 3
    Gorefiend, Barriss_Coffee and Esg like this.