main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Agent of the Empire #9: Hard Targets, part 4 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 23, 2013.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So agreed. The thing I loved about Moran's depiction is that it was incredibly unique. I thought it was a great thing that his depiction didn't match up with what everyone expected; almost every later depiction has been predictable in a way that his wasn't at all.

That said, so far I really like Fett in Agent of the Empire.

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I have to say, Fett being involved is probably my least favorite aspect of the series overall so far.

Part of it is me not really liking Fett in general, and thinking that he's super saturated appearance-wise already. Part of it stems from my general dislike of movie characters cameoing in EU-centric stories. That being said, I was prepared to dislike Han and Chewie in the first volume, but thought they fit well. I also had no problem with the Organa appearances in part 1 of this storyline. Fett, however, I just don't really see what he adds in particular.

I did however like his acknowledgement of how many copycats of him there are. Basically I just want it to be more evidence for my pet theory that the "real" Fett is dead and he's just being played by Connor Freeman...

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Very understandable. Silent badass bounty hunters really are a dime a dozen. Again, that's why I like Moran's Fett; there truly was only one Boba Fett, at least for a time. He has the potential to be so much more interesting than the stock silent enemy.

I have not read Karen Traviss' depiction of Fett, so I can't comment on what she did with it, but I can say I am not a fan of the idea of giving him a family. Just feels so unnecessary and predictable.

He's one of those characters where I can't definitively state whether I like him or not. I like him when he's used well, and I like what he's supposed to be, but the character as portrayed in the works is simply all over the place. As I said a few posts back, I feel he's very comparable to Darth Bane. At one point, they were both truly unique not just in the context of the Star Wars universe, but in sci-fi in general... later, both of them are broken down and made as generic and boring as possible, with only a hint of what was there before remaining. I guess a natural flaw of the shared universe format is that authors step on each others toes. It's too bad that great stuff sometimes gets lost in the shuffle.

Havac likes this.
  4. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    I've tried to be consistent with how I'VE used Fett in the past, both in character and how he speaks. And that is based on what I saw and heard in the movies. Using Fett helps sales and the best reason will be seen by the end of the story. Just my two cents.

instantdeath likes this.
  5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Really cool issue. Cross's interactions with the sub's computer were the best part. I really liked his teamup with Tymon, too.

I think I feel the same way about Fett as does Steve, although I don't want to make any snap judgments until the arc's finished. I guess Fett showing up with his gun pointed at the heroes just doesn't have the same impact that it did fifteen years ago.

We really need to give Lars Meyer his own Wookieepedia article.