main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Agent of the Empire: Iron Eclipse #1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 10, 2011.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Gonna have to concur with Havac. NOW! If you can, I'd read them with the Han Solo Trilogy; Ann Crispin does a tremendous job fitting them in, and there are actual points where you would theoretically put down Rebel Dawn and pick up one of the Adventure novels. It's certainly an interesting experience.

I'll pick this issue up this weekend, when I have a credit card at my disposal.

2. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000

I wonder about the medical coverage the Empire provides for its soldiers and technicians. Somehow, I think either they're non-existent or they have much to be desired.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol I love this new dark horse digital business. I can finally get comics on release day. Convenient!

Um... I don't have much to say. It was really good. I loved every bit of it. The Bond vibe (lol Quon), the cameos, and all the rest. I quite liked Isard, as expected. The red uniform is a good touch. Cross's diplomatic service outfit is a great look for a secret agent: it's elegant and formal, but innocuous.

Question for any Dark Horse VIPs present (I don't think the illustrators are present here?): I'm curious about the design for the Imperial Palace. It looks pretty similar to what we saw in Invasion, and not at all like the traditional look we've gotten from the McQuarrie sketches. Any particular reason for this design, and what was the inspiration/motif? What is it supposed to look like? In Invasion it looked pretty Naboo in style, though it looks slightly different here although it's still white-colored.

But yeah, I enjoyed it. No complaints. Keep this comic going. :p

4. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Awesome issue and I was not disappointed. I loved the dialogue and can't wait more from this series... I fear DH is going to bankrupt me at this rate though :p

Things I liked:
    *linking of Old Republic era with the Imperial one like Stark joining the Commerce Guild and taking his droid designs to the Corporate Sector so hopefully we get to see quite a few updated CIS droid designs or at least I hope its the case
    *Armand Isard of course though I do hope we see other members of the Imperial hierarchy like Cronal, Ysanne and maybe Hethrir
    *Those updated B2 droids were an awesome design and IN-GA is awesome as well
    *The Bond atmosphere was very cool and appropriate like how he treated IN-GA's maker and witnessed the failed testing of equipment
    *Terminology was cool as well like Diplo-Serve :D

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    One word: awesome. :D

The only thing missing was an opening crawl with the lyrics to the mini-series title song. :p

Although, without knowing what's going to happen, I'm unsure if it should be Adegans Are Forever or From Etti With Love.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    A View to a Khil.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [image=http://image.com.com/tv/images/processed/default/65/bb/345694.jpg]

8. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I think I am going to call it... that something like this might happen:
    Cross: You expect me to talk?
    Badguy: *strokes Kowakian Lizard Monkey* No Mr Cross, I expect you to die!

:p

Also, is that a homage to various sci-fis in the meeting with the Imperial Colonel? There seems to be a Predator Shuriken, a dagger from Star Trek Nemesis and a Klingon Bat'leth when Cross confronts the guy on Wayland.

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I found it very entertaining. Snappy dialogue as always, and while I love Jan's art, I love the expressions and the handling of the action scenes by Stephane Roux. The humorous test scene with the wings did have me laughing out loud.

I am so glad to be picking up Star Wars comics again. :D

10. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Really enjoyed this issue! Not a big fan of Bond, but love John le Carre. Cross working for Diplomatic Services AND being a spy seems like something out of one of his novels. Looking forward to more!

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I picked it up today...what a fun read. I'm really excited to see where this goes.

12. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    The art was really good: very detailed and realistic, but with a certain feel to artist's style that doesn't throw you off (like Jedi - The Dark Side did for me). Ostrander's writing is superb as always - plenty of dense dialogue when appropriate and a single line or less for a pure action panel. Enjoyed the continuity references and the unmistakable Bond-ish feel - involving action prologue, the briefing and the Q scene. Had a genuine laugh at parawing testing and at Chewie's handling of the Quarren. Great start, way to go!

I just have one question: wasn't Wayland supposed to be in the Outer Rim? Or maybe this Mid Rim Wayland is a different planet, used to explain apparent Empire at War inconsistencies?

13. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    Seeing Espos made the comic. Way cool. :D

I assume we're being set-up for a reveal of Cross' dark past. At least with the temporary flashback Cross has when he confronts Muhrlein. My guess is he made a deal with the devil in the past, so he's not the unwavering boy scout that he's painted to be in that scene

That was interesting, it had me trying to place some of the blaster weapons we see on the wall a little bit later during the fight.

I wonder, with Isard saying his brother died in the Stark Hyperspace War if you can place on of the men on those ships from the previous comic. I think I remember a gruesome scene that showed one of the ships that plunged into the sun, and the crew's faces were melting off. Maybe there's a guy with a shock of white in his hair? (Yes, I know that doesn't make any genetic sense.)

Also, the parawing scene definitely had me thinking about Reymet Autem and the pit racing scene from Honor and Duty. Let's just say I won't be surprised if an Autem shows up eventually... Also..why does Chewie not have his bandoleer? Am I missing some continuity nod there?

Last thing:

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110206203629/starwars/images/5/5c/Garbagepitracing.jpg]

c. 24 BBY

[image=http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9522/parawings.jpg]

c. 3 BBY

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/3/3b/LukeWing.JPG]

c. 4 ABY

You just can't nail down this technology. :p

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Interesting... I haven't picked up the issue yet, but (in keeping with my strange interest in lesser-used but fascinating characters) I'm intrigued by the references to Stark...

15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Continuity and pretty ships aside, AOTE seems to be getting a lot of praise. An actual really good,as opposed to decent, Star Wars story? We don't get those very often.

CBR says "John hit on all celenders" with this one, and although I haven't read it yet(probably won't till trade, and only if it keeps the quality) I'll take their word for it. CBR also wondered why this idea hadn't come up before?

Here's IGN's review:

Some of my favorite stories in the Star Wars universe tell of Han Solo's trips into the Corporate Sector. There's something a little more relatable about a regular guy chasing down adventure in a place where you live or die by your skills and wit. I was excited to hear that Agent of the Empire would focus on an Imperial agent named Jahan Cross investigating mysteries just a few years before Episode IV, but when he headed to the Corporate Sector about halfway through the book, I was hooked.

Writer Jon Ostrander possesses a huge wealth of knowledge about the Star Wars universe, and he skillfully weaves nuggets from elsewhere in that universe into this book. Beyond an encounter with Han Solo and Chewbacca, Ostrander plants his story within familiar Star Wars events with a plot involving Armand Isard, the Stark Hyperspace War, Soontir Fel, and places like Wayland and Coruscant, instantly substantiating the title in the greater context of the Star Wars Expanded Universe. I don't know if there's any intent to do so, but I see a very exciting opportunity to re-introduce the Emperor's secret order from TIE Fighter (later retconned to be part of the Prophets of the Dark Side).

Stephane Roux takes care of the pencilling duties for this book, and Julien Hugonnard-Bert is his inker. The two have a nice rapport in this premiere issue, with the inks (and Wes Dzioba's colors) intensifying at the appropriate times in the book and easing up when necessary. In addition to offering a good range of emotional intensity, this story is swept through with motion, giving the book a satisfying, kinetic feel. I would quibble that some of the visual comedy comes off as a little goofy, but Roux's somewhat cartoony style justifies some silliness.

The writing is fairly slick, and some of the plot points betray a healthy depth to the story. The story begins and concludes with fight sequences to spackle over the necessary exposition in the center, but the action sequences feel justified and well-paced. Ostrander doesn't choose to plumb Cross' personality just yet, but both he and his droid companion seem to be strong characters. My only complaint is that, even though Cross is being advertised as a James Bond-like character, it seems like the similarities are more limiting than liberating. It's a little too easy to extrapolate the characters' personalities toward, in my opinion, the less attractive archetypes found in James Bond movies (with exhibit A and B being Royd Pew and Alessi Quon, the equivalents of Bond's quartermaster, Q).

Overall I was very impressed by Agent of the Empire. This series kind of snuck up on me, and I would imagine that it did the same to other Star Wars fans as well. If it did, make sure you pick up this book because, besides being a fun and exciting tale on its own, Iron Eclipse #1 signals the beginning of the next great Star Wars title.

That'll do John...that'll do.

EDIT: On a side note to those who've read the comic, lets have a little more talk about the quality of said comic. I used to love continuity just as much as the biggest continuity whore, and I even drew a grin when I heard Armand Isard was in the book. I @$#^! about non-comic EU characters never making it into the comics, and I was quite happy to see one appear. If fact between this issues and Crimson Empire III its shocking to see the broader use of continuity in these comics. Maybe Strad and John have the clap, i don't know. Still I like it, but it's only a small percentage of the book.Hell if you ask me the comic book didn't need Han or Chewie to catch anybodies attention.

Ask yourself if a non-S

16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    There are a couple guys with black hair who can be seen throughout the comic (one Invincible bridge crewman, several wounded soldiers during the aftermath of one of the ground battles), but nobody with white. Nothing distinctive. But I just love having that as a bit of background detail. Not only is it great to see some backstory and details coming up for side characters, but it's a great detail that helps tie Armand into the Militarist movement and the Militarist movement into the hard-line Loyalist-New Order component/cabal in Palpatine's administration.

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Wait, wait, wait...

The IGN guy thinks Q is one of Bond's less attractive archetypes? [face_tired]

How can anyone hate Desmond Llewelyn as a "less attractive" archetype?

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I would laught hard if Cross also has a Comamnder rank like James Bond ^^ though he might really have it as he has the 3 double pin rank insignia that would go with Commander. ^^

19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    A little tech-related question for John: The ship seen in the Stark Hyperspace War panel, was that meant to be a predecessor of some kind to the Venator-class Star Destroyer? It looked very similar, yet "stunted" in some way, like a smaller design of the same mold. I think this is the second time a CW-esque design is seen in the decades before the CW. First was this thing in SW Tales' Nomad.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    YAY! Got my copy! More to follow when I've read it!

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sometimes the best ideas are the most obvious but they only look that way after you've been told them!

And so it is here: James Bond crossed with Star Wars should be really easy to think up shouldn't it? It's easy to see, obvious appeal, loads of potential. But if that's so, how come it hasn't been done before? The answer is that John Ostrander is making what is very hard look awfully easy. What this inaugural issue of Agent For The Empire does is it manages to pull off the trick of invoking Bond without ever sacrificing its own identity, which is well-established by the end of the issue. It wears its influences on its sleeve, Cross has a cheesed-off boss and irritated techs in response to his heroics, which is very Bond! Yet Jahan Cross is not James Bond, he has a droid, he has a blaster, he has gadgets, sure the influence is there but what of it. For me it's the skilful tapping of that influence that makes this work so well, it's both new and recognisable at the same time. It's a very smart technique that ANH also did.

Changing tack, if the writing and concept is excellent then what of the art? That DHC have poached or grabbed or otherwise enticed Stephane Roux away from the behemoth that is DC Comics is a coup because he is damn good. His work on Zatana with Paul Dini was excellent. So I'm not surprised by the excellence of the visuals, he covers it all. One specific highlight? It has to be the panel of Chewbacca engaging in Quarren-tossing! But there's loads of other great visuals to enjoy.

The story? It doesn't waste time, we have Cross confronting a corrupt Imperial officer, he then follows up on information he finds, his boss being none other than Armand Isard, ends up in the Corporate Sector where he crosses path with Han Solo and Chewie! It's a very strong case of a writer using continuity to bolster the story without ever going so far as to drown in it. Again, a hard technique that is made to appear so very easy by John O. It doesn't hurt that he's very adept at it too.

As might be obvious, I really enjoyed reading this. It felt fresh, new and exciting. I'd disagree with reviews like that of Newsarama that wanted more straight-forward good and evil, as that is boring. Exploring where the line is between those is where stories live or die. The big pitfall is engaging in ambiguity for the sake of it, something the PT could perhaps be accused of. I've never found that to be so in John O's work, there may be a mix of good and evil, but there's always a sense of definition, it's far more a shattered kaleidoscope of black and white pieces that exists in a complex inter-relationship than a quick and easy grey haze. I'm firmly of the view that this comic avoids that pitfall with deceptive ease.

If you haven't got this, get it!

p.s Anyone else have Daniel Craig's voice in their head for Cross? Any good casting for Armand Isard too?

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Isn't it obvious? Timothy Dalton!

Landb likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yup, that'll do it!

24. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    So, who voices IN-GA? I had a slightly robotic female American voice going on in my head, and I can't place it with an actress.

25. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    This is a great issue and what looks to be a very fun series.

There are some items that interest me that I am curious as to how it will play out:
    1. The cover hook: "Stormtroopers are the Empire's Hammer. THIS MAN is its scalpal." Perhaps it's only done for dramatic purpose, but note that they are equating this one, single man, to the Empire's collective, plural, stormtroopers. I wonder just exactly how many "double oh" Jahan Crosses there actually are. I presume, obviously, he is not the only "scalpal." And I look forward to the inevitable crossing of paths, especially given the numerous convoluted shenanigans that comprise Palpatine's Empire.
    2. The flashbacks. He is clearly a man with a past. Whatever the little secret is, I'm sure it won't end well for Jahan's lady.
    3. This gets us to my greatest fear and hope for the series and character. Unfortunately, we are NOT dealing with Her Majesty's Secret Service -- a great institution for a great pillar of the Western World. We're dealing with an agent of the Empire -- a thoroughly evil institution. My fear is the "Marajadezation" of the evils of its most prominent agents -- the idea that the Emperor's most trusted Imperial servants somehow didn't actually do any evil at all. I hope that Jahan is not made into someone who's only actions are to rid the galaxy of people made "even eviler" than the Empire: corrupt Imperials who take food from baby's mouths, and Imperial Generals who push blind orphans, and Imperial Moffs who kill baby puppies. That would be a horrible cop-out, IMO. I can stomach Muhrlein in the first issue -- but, I hope that all of his targets aren't the same way. At this time, the largest destabilizing threat to the Empire is the sedition that's spreading from world to world. Issue 1 starts just a year before the Corellian Treaty. That means, Jahan should be trying to take out or get eyes on plans of the most notable of Rebels -- Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, Cody Sunn-Childe, Garm Bel-Ibis, et. al.