main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Agent of the Empire: Iron Eclipse #1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A couple of other comic shops that do mail order with an excellent rep are Ace Comics and Red Hot Comics, I haven't used either but a few people whose opinion I trust do and speak highly of them. Both are far smaller operators than FP which is the Tesco of comic shops!

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll have to keep them in mind - thanks!

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'd enjoy reading it at all with the fit to the page option. Text is way too small. It's just one of the three options at the top right, the "box" one.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably should add I've bought a fair amount from Ace Comics in terms of TPBs and comics, both as a student in Colchester and via their Ebay shop. I've just never used their monthly subscription service.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I generally use Amazon UK for the tpbs. Unfortunately they don't do single comic issues. I doubt I'd use a subscription service since I don't religiously buy every SW comic. For example, I'm not a great Old Republic or Knight Errant fan. (I've read the novels but that's as far as I've gone).

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Most comic shop operators are pretty savvy when it comes to serials, they know there's no hard and fast rule as to what people go for consistently. Think most operate a sign-up system, you put your list of items in 2 months ahead once the solicits are out - anything you don't ask for, you don't get.

7. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I really enjoyed this first issue, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the characters and the story lead. Corporate Sector = awesome, and I like the timeframe and having an Imperial protagonist.

I tried to get it in print first, but after I couldn't find it at three different stores on release day (maybe they just hadn't gotten them in yet) I got impatient and bought it digitally. I'll get it in print when I come across it since my computer doesn't play well with the in-browser reader: it takes a while for my comp to load the next panel, but really that was a small price to pay for being able to read the comic immediately. I'm very glad I had that option.

Now I'm just waiting on the release of issue #2... :cool:

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This was an insanely good comic. Not just because I've been waiting for Iaco's inevitable comeback for years, or for someone to finally do something worthwhile with the Isards again. :D

Seriously, this is exactly what the EU needed. A story that gets into the background of how the Empire runs. It reminds me of the old days of 90s RPGs and all those short stories that fleshed out so much of the OT-era EU way back when.

Also, great use of in-universe references, like Soontir Fel and pit racing. They worked well without seeming forced.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the pit racing works as it's an excuse to give Jahan wings, so that's all good even if it dredges up memories of the unfortunate Honor and Duty ;).

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Isn't the pit racing from Rogue Planet? Interesting, because I read that less than two weeks ago.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, but it's probably included here because John wrote H&D, so it's my own mental connection there. Still, I do try to seize any opportunity to counter Hav's irrational defense of that arc ;).

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Had to search a bit to find what you meant by H&D :)

I've only read the Republic run once, and I didn't allow myself much time to stop and take a deep breath, but I remember liking Honor and Duty a bit... definitely wasn't a standout though, as I couldn't recall much about it until I looked at the cover.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I just really didn't care for the family soap opera drama and the Anakin/Obi-Wan plot was too much of an AOTC retread (though this is less John's fault and more a result of the arc being reduced to 3 issues from 4 to accommodate the Clone Wars launch), though the rest of the Autem story was fine (and I actually rather liked his subsequent appearances).

But, enough on H&D- that can be discussed again elsewhere. AOE is a far superior Ostrander work and far more worthy of our time here :D.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm gonna have to reread Republic sometime. There was tons of great stuff in it, but because it was such an enormous series, I wanted to read really fast so I could finish it (I'm still racing towards the NJO). I was the same way with KOTOR, and didn't like the series as much as everyone else the first read, but now that I'm rereading it and allowing myself to go at a moderate pace, I'm really loving it.

I'm so unused to comics, it's weird having to read only one issue a month :). Luckily AOE seems very "episodic".

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's cause it's written really well!

The best comics I've got work on a mosaic effect, each issue gives you a damn fine piece of a story in such a way you feel you have just enough each month, but when you have all the pieces it forms quite a whole!

Lots of comics have fallen foul of not being a satisfying monthly read because the focus has been on the overall arc at its expense.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Sagoro Autem is the greatness.

17. b3gi

b3gi Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2011
    why han solo appered in this comic? it sucks

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though he didn't necessarily have to appear in this comic, having it set in the Corporate Sector at this point in the timeline does line up with Han's early adventures there- so it's certainly a more natural inclusion than, say, Han and Chewie randomly being in a cell in Deathtroopers.

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    A good start to this. I do hope that Cross doesn't end up like Mara Jade as time goes by.

And yeah I totally had the Muppets on the mind as well.