main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Agent of the Empire: Iron Eclipse #3 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Jahan Solo...

Cross is a spy, right?

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Tiny Han Solo booking it in the corner is also the first thing that caught my eye. Love it.

Han stuck shuttling around the Imperial James Bond sounds like too good a story to pass up. Plus, I have a feeling an Ostrander-written Han will be appropriately hilarious. I'll bite.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I actually just realized that Ostrander, as far as I'm aware, has never written Han before... I think there was some Tales comic involving Quinlan Vos meeting Han, but I don't know if that was written by him.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I believe that one was both written and illustrated by Jan.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Espo walker!

I love the art in this series. Stéphane Roux is up there with Fabbri, Francia, and Weaver in my list of favorite Star Wars comic artists.

EDIT: Hm, odd. Roux isn't listed as the penciler for this issue---CBR says it's one Stéphane Créty. Is that an alias for Roux, a typo, or another artist entirely?

EDIT2: Looks like it's a different individual. His art is great too, so... the more the merrier.

Here are some black and white preview images from this issue: in original French and Google Translated.

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Espo Walker and this thing:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/K-222_aero-interceptor

Good force, a lot of vehicles from Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook have made an appearance.

8. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Nice. I always liked the K-222 - despite the ignominious prior appearance of it, the "Triple Deuce" is both prettier than most starfighters and (at least according to WEG) has the atmospheric performance to blow the s-foils off an X-wing.

Also - love the continuing homage to the insane Bond chases. Somehow, despite his much better diction, I imagine Sergeant Myrsk sounding like Sheriff J.W. Pepper from Live and Let Die ...

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, having read #2 it's now safe for me to look into this thread. The cover is hilarious. I agree with the person who said that it's the best depiction of Han and Chewie ever. Shame that Cross lost his formal jacket though. :(

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Cool preview. Chase scene looks pretty cool.

11. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    The X-222 is very similar to IRL earth ships.

12. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-29

13. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    It's sticky time.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    "Apologize... or he may rip your face off"

Another great, fun issue. Cross is particularly brutal in this one... he's endlessly entertaining, so much that I'll forgive Ostrander that "Cross" pun :p

Loved Han and Chewie in this one as well. Han is definitely the Han from ANH; a practical bastard.

I think this is currently my favorite series. John Ostrander, just curious... do you by any chance happen to hear a certain Scotsman when you write Cross? 8-}

15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I loved this issue.

I thought that Han and Chewie were appropriately used, and not forced into the plot. Han was great, and threatening Chewie is always fun.

"You used that excuse last time!" [face_laugh]

16. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001

No, actually, I don't. Deep voice, certainly, but not Sean Connery's.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

So you hear Roger Moore instead? :D

Funny enough, perhaps because of the Bond parallels, I'm "hearing" Armand Isard with a thick British accent (Connery-era M, basically), which in turn has changed how I "hear" Ysanne Isard a bit [face_thinking]

18. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I think the cops in this issue are thinking, "I'm not getting paid enough for this," or "I shouldn't have accepted that last promotion."

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I love the last two pages of the book, the flying wings this series has tremendous potential, and I love it. I keep thinking about the 007 music everytime I read this comic series.

20. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    I love this comic more with each issue.

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Beautiful issue again especially liked the dialog in the aids mansion and further hints on Cross past trauma. :)

22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Hmm... two issues doesn't seem like enough time to reveal what happened in Cross' past and deal with whatever is going on with whatever Eclipse is. I hope that means that there will be a second series of this, because I love this series.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Awesome issue- I love the walker design here. After the, IMO, disappointing smaller walker designs (AT-TE and above are fine) used in the prequels and TCW, it's very refreshing to see a design that just seems so functional.

That seems destined for iconhood.

24. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Why is Cross investigating this project?

The Corporate Sector is a client state. Do they have to get authorisation for large projects from the Empire.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The very nature of a client state is that they run their own internal affairs in exchange for surrendering external sovereignty and tribute to their protector.

Another great issue. I love all the little details--I liked that Nar used an ELG-3a, and I liked that Isard's quarters were spacious and empty, as his daughter's were in [i]Rogue Squadron[/i]. Poor Isard seems terribly frustrated with the messes that Cross seems to be causing all over the place.