main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

agents of chaos question. is it worth reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Brndn0125, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brndn0125

Brndn0125 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2003
    is the agents of chaos duology worth reading? i here its pretty bad. will i miss much if i dont read it or what? you tell me

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    You'll miss details. It's a very good read.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Personally, I enjoyed it quite a bit. If you enjoy Han then you should definetly pick it up. There are a number of cameo's made by people from Han's past. Plus it introduces a number of characters including Droma, Harrar, and Veregre.

4. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    It was the worst of the NJO, and made me quit reading the series for more than a year. However, it's got some important stuff. My advice is to plow on through it and keep telling yourself it can only get better.

-Paul

5. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    In my opinion: Nah

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The battles of Ord Mantell and Fondor are in these books. Both are very well written and very exciting.

--Adm. Nick

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    They're really good at getting into Han's character after he lost chewie.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    At the time, they were the best NJO books around, until better ones such as Star by Star, Traitor and The Unifying Force came around. They're still good books though.

9. Dark-Vador

Dark-Vador Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    I'm way behind in the whole New Jedi Order series... I just finished reading Balance Point. But since Agents of Chaos is still fresh in my mind, I can say yes, I'd recommend reading them... it introduces some important characters, as well as giving insight into Han Solo and some of his background. Hmm, yes, there are some good moments in those books.

10. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Yeah....I never read them, hence my confusion at seeing the YV almost on Duro. When I last checked, they'd been at Ithor.

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Hero's Trial is not too bad. But I didn't like Jedi Eclipse at all.

What Jedi is being eclipsed, anyway?

Luceno was at his best in the excellent Cloak of Deception. Brilliant reading there, with a finale you never saw coming. What books are supposed to be.

12. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    From the NJO, only the works of Stover, Denning and Williams were better (Destiny´s Way was a good read, even if it didn´t fit well with the rest of the series).

13. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I do not agree that Williams was better, but I would definitely add Stackpole, Keyes, and Allston to the list of people whose books were better than Luceno's in the NJO (this is based on being about halfway throught TUF). Ohh, and Salvatore. And I think I would have liked BP much better if not for the Ryn, who were first brought into the series by (you guessed it) Luceno.

-Paul

14. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I liked it. It's a good break from the Jedi if you're not a huge fan of them (though they still have a presence in the books).

15. Jedi_Padawan_Trex

Jedi_Padawan_Trex Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2004
    I agree with Excellence in that Hero's Trial is definately worht the read. This is a great insight into Han's character as a loner again after so many years running with a partner. I don't advocate simply skipping Jedi Eclipse, but you could if you wanted too.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Very much a series of two halves, with JE suffering when compared to HT.

One of the major problems to me is the sheer artifice of the H&L estrangement.

Other elements work quite well, Luceno has a good touch for battles and the series introduces some key characters, even if all the plots were not followed up in the way they were supposed to be.

Being vague so as to not give the plot away, can blow the lid if you like.

JB

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    But what Jedi was being eclipsed? I still can't work out the title. Without mentioning names to spoil Brndn0125, it was just that one person. Far less Jedi fatalities than other books. Any with an idea?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.