main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Agents of Chaos up to Star by Star: Reading decision.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthBobbalot, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Hey all, I just went to barnes and noble and got Star By Star. Non of the other star wars books in the time frame that im in looked or sounded good enough to actually buy.

I was wondering which books i should go to the library to check out in between Agents of Chaos and Star By Star? If nothing big happens in between the two, tell me here.
    Thanks guys!

2. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    You'll definately want Balance Point, that's for sure. The Edge of Victory dualogy is pretty darn good too, though not essential reading if you can't find it.

3. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Balance Point, IMHO, was one of the most boring novels I've ever read.

Check out Edge of Victory instead.

4. anakin85

anakin85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I think you should read the entire NJO to get the full effect. I assume you've read Vector Prime and the Dark Tide books but if not read them first. Balance Point isn't really that great but the Edge of Victory duology is a must. This includes Conquest and Rebirth and they are both awesome.

5. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I agree.

You need to read the whole thing, but if you must skip, don't skip any hard covers.

And no, Balance Point was not boring at all. That's an opinion. You should form your own on it.

6. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    I already read vector prime and michael stackpole's stuff. I was just wondering if i was gonna miss anything if i skimped out on anything in between those two books. So what were they again that i should read? Or should i read all of them?
    thanks

7. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    If at all possible, don't skip any.

But if you do, don't skip Balance Point or the EoV dualogy.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Idealy you should read them all, but the Edge of Victory dulogy would probably best set up Star By Star's characters. Meanwhile, Balance Point would set up some circumstances in SBS.

The order of the NJO books that have been released is:

Vector Prime
    Dark Tide Duology (Onslaught & Ruin)
    Agents of Chaos Duology (Hero's Trial & Jedi Eclipse)
    Balance Point
    Recovery (e-book short story, also included in the paperback version of Star By Star)
    Edge of Victory Duology (Conquest & Rebirth)
    Star By Star
    Dark Journey
    Enemy Lines Duology (Rebel Dream & Rebel Stand)
    Traitor
    Destiny's Way
    Yselia (e-book short story, also to be included in the future paperback version of Destiny's Way)
    Force Heretic Trilogy (Remnant and the forthcoming Refugee & Reunion)

followed by the final two forthcoming books:

The Final Prophecy
    The Unifying Force

9. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Greg Keyes's Duology is very Star Wars Pop-ish...got a great classic trilogy feel...so if you like that, get it. If not, skip to SBS...although a lot of the happenings in SBS have more impact if you read the prior novels...

10. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

If you like Anakin Solo & Tahiri Veila (sp?) Edge of Victory is a must. :D

11. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Edge of Victory is very good, I recommend it.

Personally, I found Agents of Chaos the worst of the NJO so far.

12. KirkofTheJedi

KirkofTheJedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2000
    To get the best feel for the whole story arc, I'd suggest reading them all. If anything the e-books can be skipped and covered later if you want. IMHO, Balance Point wasn't as bad as its often accused of being... but read it for your own opinion.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Reading the whole trio of novels plus the e-book Recovery is worthwhile as:

* You'll see a different side to the Luke-Mara relationship in BP
    * BP ties up several plots from AOC and DT in preparation for the next phase.
    * EoV introduces several pivotal characters and ties into many later books.
    * EoV needs to be read to truly understand the Anakin Controversy that SBS brought about.
    * EoV is the first break in the so-called masterplan for NJO ie. only big events happen in HBs.
    * Plus all 3 introduce a very new character to be.

JB

14. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    ok, i guess that ill be reading them all... But you said that agents of chaos werent good?

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I've found Agents of Chaos to be fairly good, with Hero's Trial much better than Jedi Eclipse.

16. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    You can afford to skip AoC, imo they were poor; but EoV you can't. Major characters and plotlines are introduced, that are becoming more important to the NJO in its final phase. BP you can afford to miss, except for one major character introduction.

17. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Of course there are two short story exclusives in the gamer, and insider magazines worth checking out if you can find them. One of the stories, "Rogue Apprentice(The Apprentice)" fits into a section of Dark Journey and better explains what went on between a couple of paragraphs in that novel. Greg Keyes, had a 6 part story, in Gamer and Insider as well(you can find the first 3 parts online at starwars.com, the last I checked).

18. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    If you are going to skip, then skip Dark Journey. In fact, I'll summarise it for you.

Jaina:Lets go dark.
    Kyp:Bad idea.
    Jaina:Lets not go dark.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed DJ, but not enough happened in it, apart from the beggining of the Trickster legacy, which is also covered in the superb Enemy Lines duology.

19. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    heh, thanks guys. I guess after much thought, ill just check out about 4 sw books at one time so i can get to Star By Star quicker... Man, thats gonna be a lot of reading in a month..

20. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Agent of Chaos is for Han fans, especially Hero's Trial, while Balane Point is for Jacen and Mara fans and EOV is for Anakin fans

21. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Excellent synopsis, A-WingsRule. You should put that into the Review forum ;).

Just read them all, DarthBobbalot. That way, you won't miss anything.

22. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    i guess thats what im gonna do then...

23. DarthBobbalot

Mar 5, 2002
    Ok, decided to skip balance point, any one can you give me a few spoilers as to the plot in a pm just so i dont miss anything? thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.