main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Episode two was alright, not as good as the first. I think the production is kind of calling it in. I agree with Draconarius that the camera work left something to be desired. Some of the action scenes this week felt too forced and fake.

Sam Jackson was about the best thing about this week.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't know, am I the only one who thinks this show is too… gimmicky? I mean god, it reminds me of Doctor Who at times, and that's not a good thing. I don't think Coulson works as a team leader. He's better as that quirky agent guy who keeps showing up and being useful. Go beyond that and his character doesn't quite work as well.

Penguinator likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The show is good enough to watch as is. So was a lil show you might have heard about called Star Trek The Next generation. Is was ok, not great, but good enough for 3 seasons. Then after that it was incredibly well done.

So perhaps AOS is not great or awesome at the moment, but I like it and intend to keep watching. I liked that last scene in the 2nd episode a lot. There is good stuff to come not only strorywise but like ST TNG the actors will, hopefully, fall into their characters better.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think the show's biggest flaw is that it's on a broadcast network. It's like ABC forgot that AOS is part of a multi-billion dollar franchise and think it needs to be dumbed down to reach a wider audience. There's a lot of potential in this show but they haven't even come close IMO.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess its nickname is "The Bus". Its call sign is SHIELD 616.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

To be fair, we've only see two episodes, so I'm not reading very deeply into things yet, but I think the show needs an overt tie to the film canon. A reference to Extremis and a piece of HYDRA tech aren't enough. The point of the Avengers Program is that Avenger teams are only assembled when they are needed, the rest of the time, team members go their sepperate ways. A good way to do that would be to build a team around Black Widow and Hawkeye, in addition to Coulson. Hawkeye and Black Widow would be perfect candidates for a rapid response team, since you know they're only a pair of master assassins. And assassins make everything better. Then again, so does Scarlett Johanson in tight clothing. :p

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    On the second episode:

I always feel like I need to add an "I haven't read the comic books" disclaimer, so...here it is again.

Jello is right, Peru is Incan territory, not Mayan, and maybe there's somewhere in Macchu Picchu that the 084 could be hidden, although I'm not sure where.

But it didn't bother me. I got a little bit of an Indiana Jones vibe from the scenery, mysteriousness and "dangerous object that must be protected from the bad guys".

I love Agent May. She's definitely my favorite character now.

And here goes: I don't like Coulson. I don't hate him, but his character doesn't do much for me either. And I thought the "betrayed by a former lover" storyline was absurdly cliche. Dear modern TV: drop that ****, please.

I give Coulson credit for his support of his team in the end though.

Skye: yeah, overrated. She's no Agent May.

The two guys arguing was a bit over-the-top but I loved the line: "I'm speaking basic English! Words like 'Duck!' and 'Run!' and 'It'll blow you up!'"

Director Fury blasting Coulson at the end was ****ing awesome. Because Samuel L. Jackson.

8. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Could be possible. Macchu Picchu appeared in Iron Man the Armored Adventures.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was actually thinking how these two episodes should have aired back to back as a 2 hour premiere-they have the 0-8-4 linking both halves, with the second half giving us more adventure and action than the first half's character drama.

Not to mention that the team is finally formed by the end of the second episode, with each character getting a little bit of coverage (May getting more in episode 2 than her basically being ignored in the first)..Even the Bus gets featured more after playing a very very small role in the first episode.

And now we open with Hill and close with Fury.

Yeah, but you have to admit, they do make a regular ol' cargo plane look pretty badass...

Is that legit? I don't see it on the plane, or was there a mention somewhere?

To be fair, the second episode makes it pretty clear that May is probably cut from the same SHIELD cloth as Black Widow (badass poses and all).

10. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Not really. IMO, they're just a very blatant, very poorly thought, and very unsuccessful attempt to make the thing look 'cool'.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's very hard to make real world non-fighter aircraft look cool, so using impractical kit-bashing elements to beef them up tend to circumvent those pesky aerodynamics that get in the way of cool stuff. :)

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    We are talking about a world where people use helicarriers.

Think of it.

Helicarriers.

13. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not to be confused with Starcraft, a world where people use hella Carriers.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  14. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005

Indeed. I'm rapidly beginning to think that we nerds are going to ruin our own good thing. The intensity of the whining about small stuff in this thread is indicative of a disappointing (but hardly new) trend I've seen with Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Comic movies and TV. It's like there's a race to see who can point out why it sucks the most. I mean, where's the excitement that we nerds used to get about seeing what we love brought to the screen?

I'm sorry, but I grin like a school boy when I see Lola convert into a hovercraft. I don't sit there and bitch about how it's "not original". None of this is. It's based on a ******* comic book. With a dude who flies around in an iron (well, titanium alloy) suit and a green goliath and a god. Oh. And helicarriers.

Can't we just enjoy it?

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    When a show is done well, such as in the case of Clone Wars or Battlestar, I get excited. I am also excited to see Marvel moving into live action television, but I do think that something is missing from AOS, I'm just not entirely sure what it is.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I think a lot can be blamed on the Internet for that. It's far easier to share disappointment and gripes along a high - speed connection than excitement.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Because I cannot "like" them twice.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yeah, but since both are Avengers, that puts them out of the running. Not to mention that Black Widow is busy with what's going on in "The Winter Soldier". That's why it's about S.H.E.I.L.D. more than the Avengers.

To put it in the nicest of terms, it's been replaced by people's imaginations running away from them about what they think it should be, rather than accepting what is. Something I have been saying since I've started posting here with regards to the PT. This cynicism has become the default point for all things nerd. If there is a genuine fault, that's one thing. But complaining to complain, that's another thing.

Jedi Merkurian and Souderwan like this.
  19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Just watched the episode. LOADS of fun. Ward was annoying with his "can you repeat that in English?" - yes, you moron, how did you get to become a super-special agent without at least some elementary knowledge of science? Pay attention.

Agent May is now my favourite character after Coulson (only very closely, though). :cool: [face_love]

The inflatable boat blocking the hole in the plane was ridiculous, but eh... I guess I managed to suspend my belief sufficiently. :p

I agree with Jello re: Mayan pyramids in Peru. Come on, people, do a bit of research.

Thrawn1786 likes this.
  20. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I liked it. Much like The Avengers, SHIELD is just fun. I'm tired of the mopey, dark, superheroes of Batman and Arrow. I like something I can just enjoy. Does Skye's snarky Buffyesque way of speaking sound very similar to the Scoobie gang? Sure, but I like Joss' signature dialogue. I missed having it on my TV. I loved Skye's "Can I be Team Captain" and "See them proving the point I just made" lines.

The only character I don't like is Ward. He's a jerk. Which is fine, unless he suddenly becomes the romantic lead without first becoming, you know, not a jerk.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I got to say the two characters I like the most are Fitz and Simmons.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They only count as one. So, good news- you get to choose another! ;)

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  23. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Coulson then.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I finally had occasion to see this show. While "disappointed" would misrepresent my expectations, it pretty well captures the emotional valence of my reaction.

The science experts on the show never struck me as particularly intelligent or tech-savvy. Despite this, it was very evident how hard they were leaning on the tropes that usually convey this expertise in action movies. Likewise, in the lead character's resurrection, I didn't get much of a sense that it was an actual mystery the show was inviting you to figure out. It did, though, contain lines that are often used to suggest such elements in an action film. Even the speech by the unemployed guy at the end of the episode, as on-the-nose as it was, seemed more like a belated attempt to infuse meaning into the whole affair than it did the final stroke of well-explored theme spread out across the entire sixty minute affair.

This pattern was my whole problem with the show. Everything seemed telegraphed, hastily sketched, and impressionistic. They were so busy trying to imply something and move on to the next point that they spent little time actually showing anything. All flash and little substance. If it's a little more excusable in a movie (and I'm not sure it is), I really don't like how it works in a television series. Is this the worst thing I've ever seen? No. But I didn't really enjoy it either. I'd like to see them slow down and engage with some of their material, if they hope to make a good show.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Talking with another JCer who'd know better than I, I'm told that the temples are probably closer to Aztec than Mayan (even worse, since they're further away geographically). I'm not aware enough to know the difference between Aztec and Mayan buildings, but they are definitely Mesoamerican and not Incan.