main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I thought that since this show is airing next week we should have a discussion thread separate from the main Marvel thread.

Trailer:

Coulson LIVES!!!

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I see it's going to have Joss Wedon's trademark "snappy" dialogue :rolleyes:.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You know one of the more interesting aspects of this for me, is going to be seeing people, who before Avengers were probably unaware that Superheroes, at least beyond Iron Man even existed, cope with a post - Avengers reality. Should be fun.

4. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I hope its good, but its one of those things where, its part of the universe, but we're never going to see Hulk, Iron Man or the other heavy hitters so itll always feel a little...less.

Its fine for being a show on the little people but even so.

5. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure they'll find a way to work them in. I'm also sure that when they get around to it they'll heavily promote the 10 second cameo for weeks beforehand.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm. Not really a comics person but I might check it out -- when's it supposed to come out again? This week or next?

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm really really hoping we get at least a few apperances by SLG. Having Colbie Smuthers reprise Maria for the pilot (and presumably beyond once HIMYM ends), is good, but every once in awhile we need to see the head honcho in action. Even if it's just a five minute cameo.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Yodaminch like this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Tuesday at 8PM EDT.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Hopefully this show will fail, and even more hopefully it will mark the beginning of the decline for this superhero trend. I like stories that are about people, whatever their circumstance, and increasingly these all seem to be about excuses for stupid action set pieces interspersed with dialogue that doesn't amount to much more than quips.

Ess Ell Gee is in this movie? Is that why she moved to California?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I liked the concept of this, at first. But then I saw the first trailer, and I liked it less. With every new promotional clip, my interest continues to fall.

Darth_Smeagol and CT-867-5309 like this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    :rolleyes:

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't think I insulted anyone. I said that the Marvel superhero movies aren't particularly character driven. They aren't. The time other types of stories would spend on character development are instead spent on moments that a lot of audiences apparently find "fun." I don't begrudge them that. I just pointed out the results.

Similarly, Terrence Malick films have a lot beautiful cinematography, but can sometimes become ponderously slow and meandering, so that the result is something out of a perfume commercial. That's fine. Some people like perfume commercials. Some perfume commercials are even universally recognized as good. But that's still what it is, and it's not offensive to say so.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The advertising has sucked, but I think that's more a matter of ABC's promotional strategy being stupid. "The Avengers was a huge box office juggernaut! People love box office juggernaut The Avengers! We've got to tell everyone that this show is related to box office juggernaut The Avengers! We need to revolve every single ad around the fact that Agent Coulson, that one guy you know from box office juggernaut The Avengers, is in the show and he's not dead, because people love mysteries and this is the only recognizable character we have that links us to box office juggernaut The Avengers! LEVEL SEVEN!"

I wouldn't necessarily hold it against the show, because we haven't seen any of the show yet. Just Clark Gregg's mug. Over and over and over.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Wocky, you haven't even seen the show yet, so how do you even know, whether or not it's character driven or not? (for the record: Given that it's a Joss Whedon backed show, it more than likely will have character driven stories)

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I never claimed to. I gave a prediction based on previous Marvel superhero movies. If they turn out to have made something very different in this case, I'll be happily surprised.

17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Honestly as much as I don't want to, I agree with Wocky. And I ****ing love Marvel. I'm just not going to go ahead and say that the Marvel films have done the comics justice in that area. And since my area of expertise is Thor, I'd say that's a fantastic example of how they've failed. You watch the cutscenes for Thor. That's character. More dialogue, more internal conflict, less harsh and direct action. Marvel comics have got such complex characters that just get flattened out in the films. Not saying it's a black and white situation where there's NO character driven stuff or development at all, but it's just really one of their huge weak points.

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh, it's probably going to suck. But I'm not going to wish that it fails.

19. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    What I'll say is this: A TV series is a different animal than a 2 hour (give or take these days) big - screen film. In a TV series there is going to be more time given to flesh out characters and potentially give them complex arcs and motivations. Which quite frankly has tended to be one of Joss and his production team's strengths, that probably doesn't translate all the way to the big screen given the time constrants that a movie has. I'm not going to judge the show until I see it, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I all seriousness I hope they introduce Squirrel Girl into the universe in this show. She is badass.

pronker and Rosslcopter like this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Fair enough. Maybe the new medium will power the changes we want. Juliet316 you always support Christmas music, so I guess I feel obligated to give this a shot too.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Heavy hitters? The only heavu hitter who might not make a showing for a cameo would be RDJ. Do the other actors seem like people who won't participate in some way if the show is a hit? of course, it has to be a hit, it has to be good.

24. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I sure RDJ also would love to do some episodes. It is he just costs too much.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    One big reason I'm interested in this is due to Whedon being at the helm. I love what I've seen of his work.