main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    And I thought it was just my VCR's ancient tape that made their eyes so dark pupilled - it's probably those black out contact lenses that imply True Eebill.

Neat coincidence re Strucker's appearance now and back then in the rewatch.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Just popped into my head but looking up to confirm it - Strucker kid is the kid from Unbreakable

am I right...?

ding ding ding, yes I am!

Still has basically the same face, actually. Anyway, does crazy pretty well so hopefully they let him off the chain this season.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I like that Deke knows who his grand parents are, and that Fitz finds him annoying. LOL. It's a fun dynamic. Now, I'm wondering when Deke will tell Fitz and Simmons that he's their grandson. It's like Cable meeting Cyclops, not the best of circumstances, but a family reunion.

As for the Blonde Bobble-head girl, aka Ruby, she's not bothering me, and I'm intrigued to know what her deal is.

Was Yoyo's powers tied to her arms? It would appear that she doesn't have her powers anymore.

And, Mac Hammer is the bomb, yo!

Knowing that the writer and showrunner are treating this season as if it's the finale to the series gives me hope there will be a satisfying conclusion and no cliffhanger. I'm hoping Coulson does die, because I feel that's he'll make the ultimate sacrifice and save the world from breaking apart; giving him a better death than in The Avengers.

pronker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    the fact that they've made it to 100 episodes and they have the main character on a whole stern, "I'm not afraid to die" storyarc seems it's ramping towards a finale. But, hey, you never know, we may get a post-credits "Hah! Still alive!" tease.

Frankly if they are going for a series finale I really hope they get Fury back for a moment.

Oh and I can kind of tell the budget cuts a bit more about locations this half of the season as opposed to the 1st half. Whole lotta concrete bunkers. On the flipside, the FX scenes are still pretty good. So it seems they've got it down to "okay we shoot in either the plane or the concrete bunkers for the whole episode but we get about a dozen really good FX shots"

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    i don't know if it's a budget issue or not- they did have a lot of extras in the first half of the season, so it makes sense that they'd scale back a little in between arcs.

Besides, the Lighthouse bunker was the Lighthouse station which probably reuses a lot of the NY base stages from seasons 2-4. So it's not really a change there.

Wow, nice catch. Given how much I love that film, I'm surprised i didn't catch that a couple years ago.

No, but it does severely limit what she can use her powers for- without arms she can't move stuff around / catch things in mid air / etc. She can still scout visually and maybe get a kick in, though, before she snaps back. So she is (literally) restricted to a less hands-on application of her powers.

I'd actually be curious to see if she'd even be able to use her robo arms at speed. She might still be dead armed while using her powers (though it might give her at least some limited means of interaction as an option).

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Leopard made his return to the series in the last episode, along with some other "Framework" associates. Which, allowed for Daisy to get her Quake powers back.

I thought Gemma's reaction to Deke's reveal about his grandparents was the best we could have hoped for considering the circumstances. I'm glad they didn't draw out that reveal until the end of the season. Now, it will be interesting to see how Fitz reacts to the news.

I was hoping Absorbing Man would have more to do in the last episode. I should have expected as much.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's certainly an unexpected direction to take Fitz in- I wasn't sure how i felt about yet another "curse" wedge thrown between him and Simmons but then they used Deke's reveal to give Simmons hope- which is absolutely the best way they could have utilized that reveal.

Rew, Sith_Sensei__Prime and pronker like this.
  8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Fitz was pushed to his breaking point, losing sleep, losing his sanity. The pressure on him is immense. We've seen what happens to him when he's in a state like this. Additionally, he hasn't really processed the whole framework thing. He went from that to the diner to prison where he focused on finding Jemma and the others. Then he did that, only to try to get back and prevent the loop which so far, he hasn't. He's terrified the fear dimension splitting will cause the Earth to crack and in that time, his fears get the best of him and he allows Leopold to emerge. Fitz was right that Leopold was always a part of him. And given that was who he was in the Framework, it is a bit hard to just turn that off. I imagine May and Phil also struggle a bit. We know Mack still struggles with the second loss of his daughter.

With all that, one can see why Jemma continues to stand by Fitz. She knows he's a good man who has a darkness in him not unlike one she has shown at times or some of the others- certainly Daisy and Coulson are guilty of that. I honestly think no one is more horrified by his actions than Fitz himself. Daisy will eventually forgive Fitz - she really is the last one who can cast stones on something like this. Mack too for that matter- though it may take longer given Yo-Yo was in harm's way as well.

I do think that this will always be a part of Fitz, but much in the same way the others have learned to overcome their demons, Fitz will do the same.

pronker likes this.
  9. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Well acted from an intriguing script, lots happening ... I'm a happy AOS Hunter and Fitz's RV camper.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    “How are we still fighting Nazis?”

All the flashbacks and cameos really helped flesh some things out and I love how it helps tie this season into the earlier ones. Definitely building some momentum.

I couldn’t tell from the angle, but
    that wasn’t Sanctuary II or a Chitauri ship, was it?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Definitely not Sanctuary II or a Chitauri ship, but I'm guessing Kree to tie-in with the whole future/Lighthouse thing.

I'm glad Jemma told Fitz about Deke to give them hope.

At first I didn't like the return of evil Framework Fitz, but when May approached him for information and guidance I changed my tune. I like they're making use of the character.

And that was a bizarre episode with Talbot. I wasn't sure if that was in the present time or a flashback. Moreover, the breakfast choices given to Tablot and Coulson and the way they reacted to their situation. Good stuff.

Master_Rebado and pronker like this.
  12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Coulson's no longer phased by anything at this point. He's seen and done it all. What gets me is that Hale has trouble believing that the team went to the future, when they're dealing with aliens from another world, Inhumans and the Hulk.

BigAl6ft6, pronker and Master_Rebado like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that's pretty funny that Hale doesn't believe in time traveling. My guess it that Deke will be the proof, which they know is related to Fitz and Simmons. The last episode as Deke-less, right?

I wonder if Yoyo will act as if she's immortal.

pronker and Master_Rebado like this.
  14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I doubt she'll believe it and it will be her continued undoing.

pronker likes this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I feel she does believe in that future self version of Yoyo. I mean, IIRC, she stated that future is unavoidable. However, I do agree she will be undone but because she believes in the future is unchangeable.

pronker likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The return of The Doctor is a good twist and solid drama that it's just Fitz and the actor is great at it. Although I may quibble slightly that he just had his switch flipped but it happened way back at the end of Season 1 where he had trouble with reality so it's interesting to see it happen again in a different way. I would be fine if he just went full supervillan and put on a cape and spectacles and became The Doctor! or something like that.

The 2nd ep felt a wee bit like a backdoor pilot episode for Hydra-KIDS! or something which, to be fair, I would watch every damn episode. (haven't seen a lot of backdoor pilot episodes in a while and this year both Supergirl and SHIELD did one too). Great shout-out to the Terrasact being something Hydra knew about but couldn't get their hands on. Also the fact that Hale was Hydra but in the air force is kind of a no-duh solution to have more Hydra (also she didn't go down with the ship and is running around with her ninja kid and robots off the grid so she's still around) Still love every little bit of business that Ruby does, it's super-compelling.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and pronker like this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the Hydra Academy I'm a little mixed on in concept. Like, on the level that it's used to assess recruits for their particular infiltration roles, I get. That it's also basically an Ivy league-style school with blazers & uniforms seems super weird. It also seems like it would unnecessarily increase the risk of Hydra being exposed, compared to individual recruitment and training ala Ward.

Move past that quibble and I'm otherwise onboard, however. Loved Hale's reaction to Coulson casually mentioning he buried Whitehall too (also worth mentioning how Whitehall managed to still be a creepy bastard here, despite his initially pleasant mentor role).

pronker likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah the ivy league school with logos isn't exactly the best look for a secret organization. But, on the flipside, when Hydra gets a chance to go Full Hydra in their own dastardly secluded locations, they sorta go full bore and revel in it.

Semi-related, Ruby is rocking Wakandan tech, apparently, maybe! Ring blades! (probably another leftover MCU film asset AoS got)

from the actress Dove Cameron

“Do you want to know a little fun fact? The weapons that the Wakandan Special Force uses in Black Panther that looks like a frisbee is also what my character uses on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. It’s called a chakram and is made from Vibranium, which is the metal that Captain America’s shield is made out of."

I actually love how AoS resuses the MCU film stuff, while it's clearly a cost-saving measure I think it adds a sense of depth and a full shared Marvel universe. Also by the time the movies are done with the fancy props they can use 'em on the TV show. May not get many actors or characters from the movies but sure got them sweet props!

Anyway the real question is, how the hell did Hydra get some Wakanda tech? Eh, SHIELD probably got it 1st.

Also, yeah, "Cross Fit Tinkerbell" is pretty much the greatest nickname for Ruby and maybe one of Talbot's best.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    pronker likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I hon it’s more the timing than anything else. Pre-TWS, they’re in hiding and shouldn’t run unnecessary risks or branding. Post-TWS, sure- Hydra’s continuing existence is known, Go all out, brand the office wall, security forces, etc. Before though? Seems a little strange.

pronker likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, I was referring to Hale. Not Yo-Yo.

pronker likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ”You know, you die more than anyone I’ve ever met.”

As soon as we got the first scene of the recap I was like, “FINALLY”. Bringing the Graviton thing around finally, not to mention Quinn’s fate and the surprise cameo, really does make this feel like the final stretch of episodes for the series. All we’re missing now is a return by Blizzard and they’ll have tied up all the loose ends that I can recall.

During the gym fight between Creel & Ruby when she’s slamming him with weights, I was like “You’re the Absorbing Man- maybe you should start absorbing something.”

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    don't know how Mac trusts yo yo and simmons again

pronker likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yay! Flowers! Hopefully more flashbacks to her!

pronker likes this.
  24. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Neato episode, particularly the ending squib@};-[face_good_luck]@};- and I am so
    feeling unPC right now, laughing like a loon at poor, lost-his-family, brain-damaged emo Talbot, yeah I know his lines are pretty much comic relief ATM ... *splorfle* plus his hair's grown out from the buzzcut ... *splorfle*

25. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Interestingly, that end scene was filmed back in season 1!

Rew, BigAl6ft6 and pronker like this.