main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Blasphemer.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They said they wouldn't have to worry about using it on friend or foe- it might have phased her, but it's unlikely it'd stop someone who can shrug off a shotgun blast at point blank range and not be deadly to a normal human.

If it had been May, I'd have the same criticism.

But if you're referring to the love zombie cliche in general, I don't dislike it because of whom it's affecting, I dislike it because it's always executed horribly and never explores the interesting concepts that could be done so with such a premise.

Instead, it's an arbitrary way to get main friends/coworkers/teammates to fight each other without coming up with a good reason and/or a means to highlight an empty "go ladies!" sentiment that generally seems to reveal a poor opinion of women roles on the part of the writer/producers because they can't come up with anything more meaningful.

But, to this episode specifically, it's not so bad here compared to past genre shows- it's not played up too campy, but it's still somewhat empty.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Didn't Sif take that shotgun blast to her armor?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd have to double check but it might not matter-didn't Loki shrug off bullets in Avengers' opening? (Yes, some hit armor but they all couldn't have missed).

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    She definitely blocked thr shotgun blast with armor.

6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Wasn't the shotgun blast just intended to destroy the collar though? I thought that was the sole reason Lorelei had him shoot.

Either way Loki took a blast from the destroyer gun at point blank range and all it did was knock him back. I'm pretty sure the rest of the SHIELD armory would be even less effective.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not to mention Hawkeye's explosive arrow only knocked Loki for a loop.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed this one. I was able to ignore Ward's idiot ball moment (moments?) for the most part because I was having fun.

And now I want to watch Thor. :p

I was glad to see Skye's role in the show minimized a bit and her presence reduced to what she does best...computer skills. If she had cried at the end, I was going to want to throw something at my TV, but thankfully that didn't happen.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Some set photos of the Dethlok costume have surfaced:

[​IMG]

Though presumably there is more to it that'll be added via CGI.

I just rewatched the last few episodes from Seeds onwards- not only is it a good run of good episodes but I've been paying particular atteention to May and the way she reacts around Coulson- particularly when he talks about " no more secrets" and developments regarding what he knows. Though a few of her reactions, on the surface, were about her and Ward, there's definitely enough there for them to play up the angle from the end of the last episode- and she may even have brought up her and Ward as a "secret" to feed Coulson to throw him off the trail out of fear he might be suspecting her ulterior motives.

Juliet316, laurethiel1138 and pronker like this.
  10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Ah, but is that stuff there, or are you reading it that way? ;)

Edit: I just now had this thought, but ten-year-old me would've thought that Dethlok's outfit was the COOLEST thing ever, and present-day me thinks that's a pretty rad laser tag outfit. See how it looks this week/next week!

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It could be either-like I said, it could very well be literal reactions with a retroactive angle.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    A couple of things, now that 8 days have passed and I can actually watch from my PC remotely...

"How was Tahiti?"
    "It sucked!"

Was awesome.

Skye was actually really good in this episode since she wasn't the all-the-time focus, was used correctly and told Coulson to shut it.

Jedi Merkurian -- Lorelei vs. Amora because Amora's WAY bigger and will be needed for films, almost certainly. Especially now since "Odin" gave specific instructions to bring Amora's sister back alive... ;)

Also, no one seems commenting on the fact that a) Ward wants someone else (who could it be? Skye? Simmons? Fitz?) and b) he was raped and everyone's blowing it off.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Can't say I'm surprised about that last bit dp4m, most media tends to shrug off male non - con of that nature. Not saying it's right, but I'm not shocked it was blown off.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though I think we should clarify that the most major spoiler there is actually just his own fan theory and his pre-emptive research to see if his character was linked to that theory in some way.

16. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    My favorite quote from the article, in a non-spoilerish way, which explains the show quite well:
    Lauré :)

pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Plus he's mostly joking about the size of his head.

Gotta love Patton Oswalt.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In this article there's a brief mention that they already have plan s for where the show will go in Seasons 2 & 3, which I believe this the first indication of any plans for the series past the first season.

Also interesting that Fitz & Simmons were inspired by Casey Affleck and Scott Caan's characters in Ocean's 11.

19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    If they had made a whole trilogy of movies that was just Affleck and Caan's side of things during the events of the Ocean's series, I would watch them all. That said, Fitz and Simmons are really different from that inspiration.

20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow. A Winter Soldier tie in on the 4/8 episode? The Tuesday after it is released? They gave a full week with Thor, even if the tie in was minimal and not a movie spoiler ...

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Marvel Universe waits for no one, son. ;)

I think they're assuming a much, much larger opening for Cap 2 than Thor 2 (less competition, better reviews, more hype, more Avengers-related and Avengers-like) and, thus, planning on more people having seen Cap 2 that weekend than with Thor 2.

Beyond that, this first episode of this max-event might not be set entirely after Cap 2- we don't know the timespan of events for TWS yet, but it's quite possible the first episode of these back-7 episodes will take place concurrently to the opening half hour or so of TWS (the recent hints of Fury missing or under cover might support this possibility) and, thus, wouldn't be ruining the ending of the film- but by time episode 2 or 3 rolls around, they'll have caught up to the film and the full impact of TWS's events can be explored and it will have been a few weeks now since the film came out.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There will probably be a cliffhanger talking about the destruction of the Helicarrier seen in the trailers.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So... I'm guessing her committment on Persons of Interest is over?