main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ward a good guy? Not the way he's executing Shield agents. I am more than thrilled he's a bad guy. He was boring as a good guy.

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It's possible, the way Ward essentially switches character, that he might beat that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [​IMG]

Pascal Campion's official art for next week's episode.

7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    You know, Garret is really the kind of villain you'd like to henchmen for. Guy seems pretty relaxed, pals around with you. Buys you steak dinner. He seems like the evil boss who'd invite you all over to watch the big game while cooking you something on the grill. That's a nice change of pace for a villain.

And I think that might make sense as to how so many SHIELD agents were hydra or joined hydra. I mean if you have to choose between loyalty to Garret or someone like Fury or Hand when each sides methods and beliefs are pretty similar... it's not that hard to see why a lot of agents would side with someone like Garret.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And I was just thinking about this earlier today (admittedly, while going over possible fanfic ideas)... One wonders just how many people are with HYDRA actually know HYDRA's true origins and motivations. I mean Pierce probably know (but maybe thought HYDRA had abandoned some of the Nazi side of the ledger), and we know from Turn, Turn, Turn that Garrett's aware of it (likely because of his level clearance), but really, how many who are rank and file HYDRA agents and HYDRA loyalists actually know HYDRA began only because Red Skull got kicked out of the Nazi party?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well Red Skull in First Avenger never seemed like a Nazi-white supremacist guy. He talked about a world with 'no flags', he never struck me as someone who believed in the Nazi racial policy. He and Hydra used Nazi Germany for their funding and resources. Red Skull always seemed to see them as an annoyance he was looking forward to getting rid of.

So I don't think most Hydra personnel really think of themselves as Nazis, I mean if the Red Skull's master plan called on destroying Berlin and bringing down Nazi Germany... I think a lot of them would see themselves as the good guys.

10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    As much as I might raise my eyebrows at the insistence that everything so far has been seeded, I have to say that Paxton as Garrett is great casting. You really like him as a rough-around-the-edges good guy (because come on, it's Bill freakin' Paxton), but he's just slimy in such a great way. He's Simon from True Lies, but ridiculously competent, and it's great. He's always got a smirk on his face, and it works so well, because a genuine villain who does more than be vague and talk about vague plans is fun. If only Coulson et al could loosen up a bit. Clark Gregg should always be the straight guy to the larger-than-life characters; it's why Coulson worked so well in the movies, and it's why he works as the regular joe in the Marvel universe. When Clark Gregg is acting as a foil to Robert Downey, Jr., it's great - the great stuff comes from someone remaining professional in the face of such a manic character as Tony Stark.

The thing is - everyone's so dour. Fitz and Simmons have the most personality, and it's just not able to really shine. Ward was generic boring white male lead and ineffectual loner, but as a villain? Yeah. Way more interesting. There's an actual character there now, as opposed to an idea. I still think this show has great potential (and Patton Oswalt, if he was given better material or allowed to kind of crack wise, could absolutely be the perfect counterpoint to everyone's ongoing stoicism), and I'm much more keen to see where it goes from here, provided they can make our heroes a bit more interesting.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, he definitely took some pointers from classic villain Flagsmasher.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's clear Paxton's having a ball with this role.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just got to watch tonight's episode. Love that they do throwaway Easter Eggs, like Griffen. Love love love love love Ward. His recap of how he got on the team was fantastic. This episode felt a bit like a stall episode, where nothing could happen, but you get the feeling it's setting up so much more.

Cannot wait to watch the season again knowing what I know now

pronker and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep. That's part of the fun of whatching Whedon run shows. It's always fun to rewatch everything again to see the clues to where everything is going to go.

pronker likes this.
  15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Remember that Joss Whedon is not one of the showrunners here.

Ender Sai and Penguinator like this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    But his brother is and he's had a hand is some of Joss' shows before (most notably Dollhouse)

17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I know, I know, tempting as it is, we can't blame Joss Whedon for this show :p

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, Fitz was openly mentioning HYDRA as a rogue Nazi science division to the academy recruits- and the way he used the reference it would seem like something they were aware of.

So, if the school kids knew about it, I think it's safe to say the deep agents do as well.

pronker likes this.
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Soooo....
    Isn't Talbot from the Hulk comics?
    With a mass breakout at the Fridge, doesn't that mean that Blonsky is on the loose again?
    About the idea of Lt. Forehead* being a triple agent, wasn't a crucial episode titled Turn, Turn, Turn?
    *Angel will always be Captain Forehead. None will ever surpass him :p

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Gotta love the classics.

[​IMG]

21. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Ghastly thought: everyone says post-TAHITI Coulson has 'changed.' What if the Cellist doesn't like him anymore?

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Then he'll have to deal with that and respect her choices?

pronker likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Exactly. The film did keep Schmidt's connection to the Nazis, but downplayed it as much as possible to make it suitable for all audiences. Including Germans and Jews. I haven't read any of the Marvel Golden Age stories, but I know that in the Silver and Bronze Age stories, once Schmidt was brought back, his views had changed and he was willing to adapt to the post WWII era.

Yes, he is. He was General Ross's right hand during the stories from the 60's and 70's, until his death trying to fight the Hulk using the War Wagon atop Mount Kuroishi. The volcano had been inactive, but the Hulk was enraged from sonic blasts to the point that he hit it hard enough to reactivate the volcano. In the process, there was a power surge in the Wagon which due to it being thought controlled via a helmet, wound up frying his brain and the Wagon lost control and went into the lava. Years later, his nephew Matthew, was assigned to bring out the Hulk following the apparent demise of Nick Fury in "Over The Edge: Double Edge" by the Punisher. This took place in "Ghosts Of The Future".

He's at the Icebox.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, now having finally caught up on The Winter Soldier and Agents of SHIELD one thought I had was this: is it possible the show was literally conceived only for a one-season thing and they've thrown everyone off that, given the events in the show?

It could explain why Disney/ABC haven't announced any renewals/cancels at all unlike every other network because the ratings have been well-good enough for renewal but they had no plans to do it and didn't want to have to spoil why?

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't think so. Not every show is publicly announced early. Usually returning shows are. The rumor mill is that the show would come back, but at mid season, go on hiatus while "Agent Carter" fills the gap as a limited series, while "Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." films enough material to have uninterrupted episodes without repeats for the rest of the season and thus lead right into "Age Of Ultron".

Healer_Leona likes this.