main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I was really hoping against hope that the return from commercial would be Patton Oswalt standing over Ward's dead body. I love Ward as a villain, but, you know, Patton Oswalt, secret badass, would be even better.

I think this one came down from the high of the previous couple episodes. It's still got a bit going for it, but I think it showed that the show still doesn't really know how to handle the case-of-the-week crap. The energy-sucking guy was a total snooze who never felt worthwhile, even if his defeat gave me Ghostbusters flashbacks, and Amy Acker was completely wasted in an underthought plotline. They really need to get writers who know how to make the procedural case-of-the-week stuff exciting instead of perfunctory and bland.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It was even worse than that since the "blurb" for the episode was that "the mystery of the cellist is revealed!"

Yeah...

But totally agree re: Oswalt!

Souderwan likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Forget Ward. We've got a worse case of Hydra treachery and double agent-ing going on:

[​IMG]

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought this week's episode was a bit of a letdown from the last two as well, partly because I didn't really care about the cellist (the background with Coulson was sort of interesting but I could take it or leave it) and partly because the Ward and Skye scenes made me cringe.

Pretty sad and sick about Ward's little brother though.

As far as Skye's name--yeah, that was a big "of course she is one, that's the way I want it, and **** you if you're bothered."

I did love the Cap and Black Widow references, and I am interested in whether Hydra has infiltrated the US military or the government itself.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Dear, do you have some kind of weird issue with spunky female characters? First Ahsoka, then Skye... :p

teamhansolo likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So was that guy supposed to be Cloak? I thought he was a good guy...

EDIT: its possible that Lt. Forehead might fall victim to the Love Redeems trope, but this being a Whedon tale, this could easily go hand in hand with Redemption = Death [face_skull]

7. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    No, not Cloak. His name was Blackout. He was a villain who had a connection to the original Captain Marvel/Nova/Guardians of the Galaxy, so I'm sure it was a deliberate tie-in.

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ward's lie detctor scene with Koeing was way better than I would have thought though- between that and the brief moment in the prior episode, I was really hoping for Havac's idea above to turn out.

So maybe the whole Dark Force thing might connect, you think?

9. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Connect to the GotG movie? I don't know. Marvel certainly doesn't waste references. But it could just be a nice insider reference.ie "GotG is coming out, so here's an old Bronze Age easter egg from that setting..." I think it definitely sets things up for a future Cloak and Dagger appearance for the show.

I'm still waiting for Alpha Flights to show up, because there is no other reason to set it where it is otherwise.

pronker likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

THANK YOU!!!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I don't know why I added an "s" to the end of Alpha Flight. Probably the same reason that had me drop the "r" from Jim Starlin's name. I guess it's a consequence of drinking coffee while typing....

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Because you wanted Alpha, Beta and Omega Flight to ALL show up and you just simplified it?

13. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    yeah, that was it.Instant ret-con!

Funny, because I actually thought about the others, but then concluded "that would be a lot of people to fit within a show.." Apparently, in addition to typing/drinking coffee, I have John Dorian/Scrubs length monologues with myself.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Only with those who are wearing bright neon "Fall in love with me you peon viewers!" signs on their foreheads in every episode. :p

(Thank you for sharing your fantasies, Whedon and Filoni. Now moar May and moar Ventress please.)

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I wouldn't hold your breath. I would guess that the Alpha Flight rights are over with the X-Men at Fox.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Unlikely, or if anything just movie rights...

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's hard to say. Most of the team are non Mutants, save for Northstar and Aurora, but they're tied to Wolverine and were spun off from the X-Men franchise. Still, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" did not include them and Department H has been name checked more than once.

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    "the mystery of the cellist"

weren't there all of two lines about "The Cellist" in the Avengers? This show has to make everything a thing.

19. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    It's hard to say. Most of the team are non Mutants, save for Northstar and Aurora, but they're tied to Wolverine and were spun off from the X-Men franchise. Still, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" did not include them and Department H has been name checked more than once.

Exactly. I'm not sure how many of Alpha Flight could be fit within the budget of the show, but I still expected some of them to make an appearance. Certainly, Puck, Guardian/Vindicator, and Shaman could certainly be easily and inexpensively portrayed, and as been mentioned, I doubt that they would be included in any Fox/X-Men license package. At least I hope not, I think it would be weird to include such large swaths of characters in any agreement...."License Weapon X for a movie and get all of Alpha/Beta/Omega Flights for free!" I don't think that would happen, but I'm not sure how those things work. I know, for example, Sony has a HUGE (much more than I expected) amount of characters locked up just by licensing the Spider Man U.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They're just playing off of the fans- it was the fans that made the cellist into a big clue of speculation- particularly involving Coulson's resurrection (both before and after it was an actual thing). IIRC, the biggest theory was that Wanda was the cellist and could resurrect Coulson as the Vision.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Alpha Flight or not, at least they should be able to use Department H, or K, or whatever.

Penguinator likes this.
  22. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

The tumblr, it ruins everything :p

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    They were also apparently name checked in that computer list Mystique got from Stryker's computer in X2.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok, so, at this point the idea that Ward is a triple agent holds no water. The only way to get out of it is that Skye did not check the body and Oswalt is alive and it's just an all too well orchestrated plot to get Skye in some right place in some right time, and that would be bad.

I forgot about Blackout, I was thinking it was some kind of combo of Vanguard and Darkstar.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's no way Ward is a triple agent at this point- even Jack Bauer has a lower body count when playing a triple agent to route out terrorists.

EDIT- And my new favorite fan theory: Every secret Fury base is manned by a Koeing LMD, thus allowing us to have more Patton and introduce the LMD concept proper.

It won't happen, I'm sure, but it'd be awesome. The big twist? He was playing Call of Duty with himself!

Sarge, Healer_Leona , pronker and 7 others like this.