main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    AoS is gonna get a 22 ep season, with a longer break in between the fall and spring stuff, however A) those episodes will run basically in a single uninterrupted run and B) We've got "Agent Carter" taking over the AoS timeslot for about 2 months in between the AoS spring/fall run. So basically, we could be looking at a solid consistent 7 months of unbroken Marvel TV on ABC!

Moviefan2k4, pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    DarthIntegral -- MODOK HAS PREPARED FOR ALL CONTINGENCIES!!!

BigAl6ft6 and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I love that Clark clearly enjoys playing Coulson; it comes across very well in his performance. The scenes he had with Sam Jackson in the finale were pure "geek bliss".

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm still pissed with what they did with Ward. Just came out of nowhere, and wrecked a likeable character for no good reason. But yeah, I think I'd be even more pissed if the turned around yet again and tried to redeem him.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ward can still be a series regular if they keep him as the main antagonist of the season, which could be really cool. I'm hoping there's no redemption for Ward, which would be borderline impossible to pull off anyway since he straight up murdered a lot of people (nor do I see the showrunners doing that, they seem to realize the majority of viewers actually liked the Ward reveal better). Tripplet can/should be the "new Ward" and Ward can be the new Garret.

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    "Likeable" character? [face_laugh]

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The only thing that came out of nowhere was the sudden upswing in show quality.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Ward didn't become interesting until his turn was revealed. Everything before that was just "blah".

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I actually started liking Ward when he started banging Agent May, but still had a thing for Skye.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^I read that as Aunt May, and for a moment I thought I'd missed a really awkward Spider-Man tie-in.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  13. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh, troubled past and evil mentor...sure whatever. But Ward's experience with S.H.I.E.L.D. really should have given him plenty of opportunity to rethink his allegiance.I mean, this guy was basically the epitome of a paragon-hero figure...and you don't get to be like that unless you really believe in what you're doing. Which is why I think making him into a villain just feels contrived.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I see your point of view, but you have to think this in terms of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe where there were Hydra sleeper agents everywhere. Thus, it would be logical to think there was a Hydra sleeper agent in Coulson's ranks.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Ward didn't really believe in what he was doing other than what he did for Garrett. He started to question his loyalties, but he continued to serve HYDRA and Garrett out of loyalty to him. He was hardly a paragon of a hero figure like Steve Rogers. Hell, even Mike Peterson proved that he was more of a good guy than Ward.

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Jumping out of a plane without hesitation to save Simmons is about as heroic as it gets, and I'm sure I could come up with more examples if I bothered to look. Sure, you could say "it was part of the act", but we didn't think that at the time now did we? If the writers hadn't decided to turn Ward into a bad guy, we wouldn't think to attribute any cynical motives to his heroic actions. It's not that I'm against having a character being revealed as a mole, but I feel like with Ward the writers just tugged us along so far in the "this guy is a hero" direction and then the backstab came out of absolutely nowhere. Fitz ends up being extremely distraught over the revelation that Ward was a Hydra agent and it seems like he blames fate, the universe, or the magical hand of destiny for what happened...well I'm sitting up here as part of the audience and I know there is someone to blame: the writers!

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They did set up Ward's turn earlier in the season- but they were subtle. It's still a shock that it happens but wasn't a random decision along the line.

And it's not such a shock that he jumped out of the plane like that- as it was shown Ward has trouble avoiding attachments.

Jedi_Matt and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus saving Jemma further entrenched him as a integral, indispensable part of Coulson's team. Which is what Garrett and HYDRA wanted.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, he was probably waiting for an opportunity like that to present itself.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Ward was probably planned out to be a HYDRA agent early on. The actors didn't know what was going on in "The Winter Soldier", but the Whedons definitely knew. And because the actors didn't know, this allowed them to play the characters as honestly as possible to the scripts that they were handed and the directions they were given.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Ward is a Hydra Agent with a heart. He didn't kill the dog. At least I don't remember him killing the dog.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They apparently left it intentionally vague as to whether Ward shot the dog or not.

23. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well it certainly wasn't vague whether he killed the dozen or so SHIELD agents and police...

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's consistent with the character though- he has no trouble pulling the trigger on strangers and people he's just met, but people he forms emotional attachments to tend to be a weakness of his, as he mentions he'd have had no trouble offing Coulson's team early on had Garrett given the word- but then he grew attached to Skye and ultimately has trouble killing Fitz/Simmons- much like how he may have had trouble killing the dog (but, then again, maybe he did kill the dog after hesitating much like how he still dumped Fitz/Simmons into the ocean after hesitating).

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well yeah but having a hard time killing people he knows and maybe not killing the dog doesn't change the fact he's an evil murdering super nazi. :p

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.