main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Juliet, you forget, once A4 comes around...

and Hill gets undusted, she's got this covered.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Who says any one's getting undusted?

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh wait, what exactly did the Centipede serum do? It's supposed to be able to cure Coulson, depower Talbot, and it gives Daisy a power boost?

Also, I can't quite say I like the "let's kill off Fitz and replace him with the other one frozen off in space somewhere" thing.

Abadacus likes this.
  4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    my impression is Coulson and May will be back fairly quick for one reason or another.
    Yeah what happened to Deke? he just said he was going to leave but no idea if he blinked out of existence.
    they also threw out something about Frozen Fitz out in space. So basically they killed him off, but not really. :rolleyes:

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was a supersolider cocktail using Extremis, gamma radiation and other elements. The default serum made supersoliders (or boosted existing superpowers) but not permanent ones (it required a supply otherwise they'd depower eventually). That's the part that Daisy took advantage of.

If combined with the ODM from the Confederacy, it could be used to depower/kill Talbot. May took that option off the table (literally). If combined with Daisy's mom's regenerative DNA, it could be used to treat the necrotic flesh caused by Ghost Rider in Coulson.

In both of those later cases, the Centipede serum was acting more as a delivery method to inject the other substance into the target's cells rather than any specific ability of the serum itself.

6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    It's rewatch time at some point ... too much happening!:eek:

Juliet316 and Master_Rebado like this.
  7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Nice way to end the show either way whatever the case (series or season finale).

I like the idea of the mentors, Coulson and May, retiring and leaving the next generation to step up. But avoided giving them Obi Wan/Han Solo/ Qui Gon/ Luke Skywalker type deaths. Though in Coulson case, it could possibly be an offscreen Yoda type death

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

Heh.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And if Coulson does die off screen, it leaves the door open for May to possibly return at some point next season.

pronker likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah that felt more Series Finale than Season Finale. Probably the least cliffhanger-y of any AoS finale, actually.

complete with death of beloved character (but, not really cuz we're gonna go get him outta space). Which does leave this weird proposition like what do they do with the body of the Fitz who died, do they care, which is the real Fitz? Although the Dead Fitz is about 130 years older than the Fitz who is floating in space. So, yah, that was odd once you clue in that they're going to get Space Fitz to fill in for Our Fitz, the Dead One, who we have seen his entire story. Weird emotional beat, not sure if I like it that much or not.

the Coulson / May is a bit harder to squeeze outta, if this was a series finale it would be a happy, if bittersweet ending, but now we've got a Coluson who is ready and waiting to die and is about to drop off this mortal coil at any moment and they're going to drag him and May out of their well deserved rest because ... reasons?

Anyway, that's more plot stuff / Season 6 problems as the actual quality of the episode had a ton of great, great moments and looked like one of the biggest spectacles they've ever done.

As for the non-snapping, I think putting the show directly with the events of Infinity War may have raised expectations, fairly or unfairly that people would get dusted. True it DID serve as motivation, however flimsy, for Talbot to go pure supervillain in a quest for power to stop Thanos, which is really all you need. But calling it as Infinity War adjacent does make you believe it'll happen. So now, I would guess they won't reference it at all in Season 6 because the Thanos Snapture is going to be resolved in Avengers 4 and since Season 6 is coming out after A4 it'll probably not even be mentioned. And I agree, there really wasn't a place for it in the episode but, for me, it added a tense of dark tension to the closing minutes cuz I thought THEY WOULD GET DUSTED AT ANY SECOND! IT'S DUE TO HAPPEN RIGHT NOW, AHHHHHHH!!!

Like, it honestly could have been the worst/awesomest ending ever. So they just breezed by it and put it off until A4 / S6.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    There have been a few interviews with Clark Gregg, where he doesn't believe Coulson is coming back for S6 (so Gregg's last MCTVU appearance maybe as an earlier version of the character in Captain Marvel). So maybe there's a time jump from the finale to S6, where we have May unretiring after Coulson's death and rejoining SHIELD as a way to deal with her grief.

And in a way, that would be almost full circle for the May character. When we meet her in Episode one of the first season, she's closed off in a cubicle, which in hindsight, served as a metaphor for how closed off emotionally she was in the beginning of the show. It wouldn't be that out of character to see her that closed off and focusing on SHIELD work in the wake of a Coulson off screen death.

12. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah the more I let this stew over in my mind, the less I like it. It just feels cheap to kill off the "original" Fitz and then go grab Replacement Fitz out from space.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and pronker like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    and it wasn't exactly an epic death, it was tragic and emotional, yes, but a main castmember gets killed off by falling scenery when we're talking about people who basically run from exploding / crumbling buildings on a weekly basis? So hopefully when they bring in SpaceFitz it'll have some consequences. Hell, there already are some because Simmons is not married to SpaceFitz! But that is really minor comparatively speaking.

Anyway, Clark Gregg has a some interesting notions for how he'll be back. He is sticking with "Coluson is dead, it was his time."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...is-coulson-dead-clark-gregg-interview-1113016

With these plans to continue having Coulson on the series in some capacity, does that mean you'll be returning as a series regular next season?

That's all what's going to be part of this discussion and working it out. I'm available for whatever they need me to do and we'll just be figuring it out. We just got picked up a few days ago. That's what we'll have to figure out going forward. I hope to be involved, maybe I'll be an LMD or maybe I'll be in a C3P0 suit and I'll be everybody's starchy Brit robot.

I think it'd be funny if they went Coulson LMD cuz when the show was first announced everyone was like "Coulson LMD! TV SHOW!" but the producers were all "Nope!"

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Regarding the finger snap...

...my operating theory for the next year is that it happened offscreen in the time jump immediately prior to the "funeral" scene, and A4 undoes it in such a way that to the average person in the MCU it's like it never happened. For that matter, S6 could even back up a little and tell a big story that's contemporaneous with the snap through A4, only to be undone--meaning that chronologically, what we just saw really is the ending.

On the plus side, that keeps Coulson around (somehow) another season, on the downside, dead Fitz.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That'd be a fascinating way of addressing it- but i kinda feel like that would undermine the impact of the finger snap
    if there's no lasting consequences to the event.

Showrunners on why we didn't see the finger snap.

Executive producers Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen and Jeffrey Bell spoke with EW who asked them why we didn’t see any of the events of ‘Infinity War’ in the finale:

JED WHEDON: There’s some of that we can’t answer.

JEFF BELL: Part of what happened was, they changed the release date, and we move at a different schedule than they do and so suddenly everything was a week earlier, and so we had to make some adjustments and that’s how we end up with our story.

WHEDON: Right. And the other thing is that there’s certain story points that are so – there would really be no way for us to address it and keep our show intact. Given that there’s another movie coming out, and there’s gonna be constant repercussions of their universe, so what we felt was that the safe play for our story, and for the integrity of our universe, was to operate outside of it.

BELL: To acknowledge it was happening, but that we had our own problems and we’re dealing with that.
    WHEDON: Right, and also the timeline is a little bit fudged in that we assume that the last couple of episodes of our show take place during Infinity War. We’re running in a lot of real-time at the end of the season.

MAURISSA TANCHAROEN: The last four [episodes] all in real-time.

WHEDON: Yeah, so we sort of thought of it as these events are still ongoing as our season ends.

pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Seems that's for the best. If they showed the finger-snap, it would just be half the cast disappearing, and then the remaining characters can't do anything about it...and then later I guess the dusted people come back, again with no input by the characters. It wouldn't make for much of a story.

Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And like I said, if the series had ended like that that would have been a massive slap in the face to the fans. On the level of Quantum Leap's series finale.

18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    :-BSomething tells me that I'm glad I watched Quantum Leap for maybe 2 years and then got too busy with babies to watch much TV …
    AOS was quite involving and I'm glad I watched it from the beginning to this end.[face_good_luck] I'm left feeling a blend of glad/sad re Fitz, Talbot and May/Coulson. Wow, over a year to wait for more on everyone's story… :han: that's carbonite time!!

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Only look if you want to know the end of QL...

About to get shouty *deep breath and*

THE BASTARDS AT NBC LEFT IT SO THAT HE NEVER MADE IT HOME!!!! THAT'S LIKE THE ULTIMATE CLIFFHANGER AND WORST SERIES FINALE EVER!!! Geez, even Enterprise managed to wrap things up, even if it was crappy.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I agree where A4 is concerned, but there's no real character impetus for the SHIELD gang to be shown dealing with it, especially if time is rewritten and it no longer happened.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But your idea's implication is that if the SHIELD characters aren't aware of it having happened, then that would be the case for everyone else on the planet/in the universe (except for a few key characters in A4, perhaps). So there wouldn't be much in the way of lasting ramifications outside of the Avengers potentially lost while trying to restore the timeline.

Whereas if the event happens and then the dusted are restored afterwards, the world still has the memory of that trauma and Thanos's action still has lasting impact.

Making Thanos's victory in IW the equivalent of "it was all a dream and almost no one will ever speak of it again" really undermines it.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Fair enough, but I think it's moderately possible.

Iron_lord and pronker like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's certainly possible- I just don't think they'll avoid the lasting consequences like that.

pronker likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What If...
    Coulson is dusted, but when put back together is healed... but Mack now has a spiritual crisis because he was dusted and there was no Afterlife...

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005