main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm really enjoying this season of Agents of SHIELD and I'm not missing Ward at all.

Ghostrider has definitely made a difference on the show. I just wish he kept the chain. Robbie could have wrapped the chain around his shoulder. I feel Ghostrider will make it until the mid-season finale.

I didn't think Ghostrider could break out the containment cell. I thought it was strong enough to prevent the Hulk from busting out. Robbie's little brother is annoying me after the last episode. You'd think he would have his brother's back despite being an agent for vengeance. They're family. I don't like that aspect of the story, but I'm sure it's the typical trope drama just to have them see eye-to-eye. That tiresome.

As for Daisy, I hope they're done with the solo act. I like the show better when she's working with the team.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Robbie's brother is upset because he didn't want him to sell his soul to become a demon, much less kill people. Not every family member would be cool with that. Hell, look at Anakin and Padme Skywalker.

pronker and One Quarter Portion like this.
  3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_dunno] It always seemed like November and February were Sweeps Months, yet this program has next to no episodes this November. Has network thinking changed?

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They got a big cliffhanger-y Sweeps episode in right at the start, but I think the show's either ending this year or going one more year max so it didn't really matter.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah I didn't know we had to wait this long, guess election and magic specials got in the way. But at least when it comes back they seem to be airing it in straight chunks.

The announcement of a Inhumans TV show I think may signal ABC is looking for different Marvel programming but Inhumans is only an 8 episode mini series. However, the integration of AoS continuity to the Inhumans show may be easier now than if Inhumans was a film.

As for this season, more Ghost Rider doing Ghost Rider stuff is always good and his origin story was really well done because we got the OG Ghost Rider running around too. I don't think Quake and GR will officially be Agents of SHIELD but more independent contractors. And I'm still holding out hope that Ghost Rider somehow is involved in dragging Ward's soul from Hell or something.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I don't think Inhumans will be an AOS replacement with only 8 episodes. More like the new Agent Carter. Like Agent Carter, it's a limited series with a (likely)more direct involvement from the film side of things.

Actually could work nicely- instead of splitting AOS's season like AC did to let AOS meet up with the summer MCU film, it could push back a theoretical AOS S5 to launch mid-season in January and let AOS S5 run straight through into Infinity War.

7. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I do wonder if season 5 of AoS, assuming it happens at all, will end up being a shortened season instead, say 13 or so episodes.

8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I'll be very surprised if AoS gets another season, honestly think at best it's going to spinoff/lead into Inhumans with maybe Daisy being the audience pov character for it.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While a S5 doesn't seem a given (the time slot change, etc aren't good signs), there are two things going for the possibility in AOS's favor:

-No new flagship show has been announced to replace it and Disney/ABC may still want the Marvel brand running on their channel more than 8 days a year (and they haven't bought Netflix yet ;)).

-The above in particular would be useful to have in regards to the build up to Infinity War, both from a synergy perspective and a creative one- it offers a natural endpoint for the series (being, more or less, the end of the Thanos megaarc kicked off by A1 which also kicked off AOS)), not to mention a stronger episode total for syndication (usually hit by five seasons, though I believe AOS's four have met lower qualifications for syndication already).

10. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, ABC did scrap Marvel's Most Wanted so I don't think ABC is too keen on having multiple Marvel shows in their line up. But they're perfectly fine with having multiple Shonda Rhimes shows..... :rolleyes: I could see ABC deciding to shorten episode orders for AoS to 10 or 13 episodes for future seasons if they should choose, but AoS ending around Infinity War would be a good bookend for the series like you mentioned.

AoS ending may also be the best way to incorporate events from the show into the MCU as a whole now given how it's been noted how the development process between the two media types differ. The vagueness in the movies that refer to more and more enhanced people in the world could lend itself well enough if/when Inhuman characters show up in the MCU.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    As noted, ABC cancelled MMW because of a change at the network. So it is likely that "Inhumans" comes in as a mini and might lead to more shows.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also worth noting when speculating about AOS's future: Even though the live ratings have dropped this season (which is somewhat expected given the timeslot change and people need to go to work the next day), the live+7 have actually been pretty much around the same totals AOS S3 was getting in the back half (~1.8).

That doesn't mean it's a sure thing, of course, but it certainly helps the show's chances.

13. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    AoS has always done well with viewership in DVR numbers since season 1, often times doubling it in the seven days. The last week of October for instance had an increase in viewership of about 110% in the +7 category. I know you've mentioned this before, as I have as well.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's more pronounced this season, however. So it becomes a question of how much more valued the live numbers are versus overall viewership.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    the plot disconnect between Agents of SHIELD and the movie side of the MCU is getting a bit bigger with every movie and every season. Like I can buy that SHIELD is out in the public again because post-Civil War all we've had is Doctor Strange and May is Guardians (end of the season) which is set in outer space. But with Spider-Man: Homecoming you'd figured a powered high schooler in an urban area would be right up SHIELD's alley (to toss into a containment unit and have Coulson and or Mack chew him out). Heck, I'm already doing mental gymnastics as to how Killgrave completely got past them. so while everything is connected, like in the comics, sometimes things start to stretch plausibility to "why don't they call The Avengers" / "why don't they call SHIELD since they're literally having the director on TV talking about how he's an Inhuman" Like I think a good series ender would be SHIELD gets disassembled again but, final post-credits scene, Coulson and Co. meet up with Nick Fury for a nebulous undercover important "out there" operation.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I also feel like AoS has this huge disconnect with the movies in its overall mood and feel, with the movies being rather light and cheerful and AoS being much more dark and grim.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

They stretched the character Ward as far as was feasible (questionably) and now hopefully that is that for "Ward"

18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Both AoS and the Netflix shows feel distinctly different from the movies.

19. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Separating itself from the plots of the movies was the best thing AoS ever did after the Hydra twist ran its course. Season 1's desperation of riding the coat tails of the films got old in a hurry (pre-Hydra twist anyway). I like how it is now where events of the films aren't necessarily focused on in a major way.

By the way, Kilgrave is like the easiest one to explain away. Any SHIELD agent he encounters is just told "you never saw me". The end :p

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Eh, I think we have to wait and see how the movie end of things is handling SHIELD-related stuff before we can say for sure that the TV/film divide is growing instead of just staying the same.

I mean, it's obvious the filmverse has been leading back up to the reestablishment of SHIELD as well- Fury is out in the open with his own helicarrier and SHIELD loyalists ("This is SHIELD?" "This is what SHIELD is supposed to be."). But Strange wasn't going to deal with this subject, and neither will GOTG2 or, presumably, Thor 3. Likewise, Black Panther isn't likely to deal with SHIELD directly either (though a passing reference to SHIELD being back would be more likely there than the other films).

Spider-Man is the only one that might mention it- and, really, he'd be more likely to mention the Netflix show events than SHIELD at this point, given where he's operating out of.

But that basically means The Road to Infinity War doesn't really have a lot of opportunities to directly deal with SHIELD. And one could hazard a guess that we might see Fury and crew back for Infinity War and discuss the newly reestablished SHIELD he's been helping with since Age of Ultron.

Looking at things sideways, one might think that the timing The Inhumans and it's limited theatrical release (and use of IMAX cameras) may very well have something to do with the story and development of Infinity War (or at least one of the two films) still wanting to use the original plans for the Inhumans film's connections to the Infinity War story. As a result we get this hybrid project that can simultaneously deal with SHIELD (via the existing Inhumans plotlines) on the TV side of things while acting as link to what goes on in the movies.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There is an odd feeling that maybe it went down like "holy Hell, we have all of this Black Bolt Inhumans stuff in Infinity War but we kicked the movie to the curb." "Uh, the TV guys are doing Inhumans." "Great, quickie mini-series, chop chop!"

pronker likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm ok with that option- the first 2 episodes and bits and pieces throughout the season are probably based on the film proposal so it's like we're getting what we would have plus the AOS connections we were hoping for.

23. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007

[face_monkey] I just want to see Lockjaw.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Oh my god I never thought I'd live to see Ghost Rider Mack on a motorcycle with an axe shotgun wtf is happening omg I'm turning into a 13 year old Tumblr fangirl teehee

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, giving AIDA the Darkhold... do you want Ultron? Because I'm pretty sure this is how you get Ultron... :p