main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -Daisy's new looks (uniform, tanktop, etc) looked good. It also looks like she might have bulked up a little.
    -The effects for Daisy, Lincoln, and Lash's powers look quite good overall.
    -Lash was cool, even if we didn't see a ton of him. I'm also a bit surprised at how good his look was translated into live-action.
    -William Sadler cameo as President Ellis from IM3, nice. I wasn't expecting that.
    -Fitz was great in this episode. Iain de Caestecker was so good, especially in that final "meltdown" scene.
    -I wonder where Simmons is and what's been going on there?
    -Constance Zimmer was really good (her back and forth with Coulson on the train was great). I just wish that she were a CB character, she'd be a fantastic Abigail Brand.

All in all, really good premiere.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Very enjoyable season opener!!!!

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Alien doomsday AI spawned from an alien scepter containing an alien Infinity stone carrying out alien doomsday directive. ;)

4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    So I was thinking regarding the other group, besides Colson's team...
    When we saw the Inhumans in the morgue like room at the start of the episode, I'm thinking that was the leftovers from Lash. So those deaths may not necessarily due to Rosalind's team. Rather they are just picking up the pieces and wreckage left in the wake of Lash.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Great premier. This show has become quite strong with its narrative and focus on character development and performances, imo.

Also, while the effects were still "TV effects," you can tell that there was a lot of effort at work behind those effects. Much better than Once Upon a Time's absurdly goofy effects imo.

True Sith and Darth_Invidious like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, in regards to the scroll...

"Mavet" or "maveth" does, in a literal sense, mean "death" as Fitz has identified. But there are ... variations. It's not always meant in a literal sense (as in "someone's death"), though that is the first appearance of the word in the Torah, I believe. It can also mean both death as a penalty, or -- in limited cases I think -- death as a messenger. Like, a messenger of death (bounty hunter) for Inhumans... like we saw last season with Sif.

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No kidding. UOAT has been godawful as of late. But it certainly doesn't help that the fx work looks so cheap to the point of being SyFy quality. WTH Disney, throw some money into that crap. It might make the thing more watchable.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The premiere was an above average episode, but I won't get hopes too high for the season because the premiere of season two started well too but was up and down. I'm afraid the Inhuman crisis might be pushed aside for something else as the season goes on. But I did like how the show is introducing the Inhumans in the MCU and making them the X-Men replacement. Perhaps Lincoln will serve as the MCU's Professor X, which means there might be a "Magneto" as well.

Daisy looks good both physically and as an experienced SHIELD agent. I hope she continues to grow into her new role as "Inhuman noob rescuer" and perhaps a Cyclops type character.

It kind of bugs me that Bobbi is on the sidelines as a lab tech, as she should be an Avengers type level agent like Hawkeye and Black Widow. I know the talk of her spinning into her own show are on going, so I hope it happens and she takes on the name Mockingbird.

As for Jemma,
    I thought she was in an episode of the original Star Trek series running away from a Gorn. She probably has the Inhuman gene and transported to a Kree outpost and running from someone that can actually help her turn into an Inhuman. Or she ended in the Fantastic Four movie and is freaking out.

9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Since Bobbi is a genius biologist in the comics her being a lab tech on her injury leave actually made me very happy. Glad they acknowledged she's super smart as well as an awesome fighter.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Good point. I don't think she'll be in the lab too long. I thought it was kind of interesting that she was covering for Fitz since I really don't recall the two of them having any kind of relationship.

And go on Fitz for turning into a boss. He's making quite a field agent.

I like Rosalind Price and her subtle arrogance, such as having the President under her thumb. I hope she becomes a very good antagonist on the show since Hydra really didn't have one and Mr. Hyde wasn't really a mastermind or have much resources to effect things.

11. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I think that is likely where they are heading. It would be a bit of a humble pie moment for Simmons given her attitude towards Daisy/Skye and the rest of the Inhuans.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, but she does have an established relationship with Simmons who Fitz is trying to get back... ;)

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also as it turns out, you don't just instantly fully recover from a serious gunshot wound (and severe torture as well). Wow, semi-medical accuracy in a CB project, I'm pleasantly surprise.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I totally forgot about that part. Yeah, Jemma didn't take too kindly to that. It would have so much irony if

Jemma turned out to be Daisy's Magneto. Oh, that would break Fitz' heart, again. I'd welcome Jemma to be this season's Ward. Her character needs some spicing up, especially that he role on the team appears to be filled by Bobbi for the time being.

Hogwash! She's an Avengers level agent.

To quote Captain America, "You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed... walk it off."

Walk it off, Bobbi. Walk it off. :p

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, a good amount to unpack there. I didn't realize I wanted a Marvel miniseries set during the 1800's until now...

Unexpected throwbacks to Season 1 with the return of the Asgardian (who either has to appear in the next episode or in a flashback or be mentioned in exposition by Coulson because there HAS to be more after his comment about Inhumans) and secret entrances being Coulson's thing.

I don't see how Ward can survive this season with this multi arc setup targeting him. ("Make sure he doesn't." winning the night).

Also, Strucker jr has soulless black eyes by default. Creepy.

And the ending sequences? Yay!

pronker, jabberwalkie and Abadacus like this.
  16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I think it was a nice touch bringing him back.

I thought the line was "And Hunter, make sure he does." Anyways, yes that was one of the best lines of the night. On that note, like the Professor Randolph noted how Colson and Morse were somewhat unpredictable now since they had changed.

Ian De Caestecker killed it again in this episode IMO. Fitz's rescue of Simmons was awesome and well done. I thought they were going to try and drag it out some, but I am extremely happy that it wasn't. To me it shows that they want to get on with the story instead of stretching out drama ridiculously long.

Oh and Strucker Jr does definitely have that air of evil around him. Ward's protege, and I bet he will likely kill Andrew which draws May back into the fold.

17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I felt Ward's line about Baron Strucker dying a pointless death was pretty good 4th wall breaking for fan complaints about the movie people wasting so many good villains. Also wonder if the show had plans for Strucker, saw the movie, and then just went 'nope, we'll just make a new one'

Ward using Garret's dialogue and tactics is great, seeing him turning into Garret will be fun to watch. And for him not being a Nazi, he sure is turning Hydra in a very Nazi direction with the focus on strength and culling the weak.

The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    That ending felt just too clichéd. The entire episode was good up until there.

19. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Another quote from last night: "They're called Inhumans." Look of fear/surprise, "I have not heard that name in a very long time."

Interesting reaction to just the mere mention of Inhumans. I guess he thought they had been killed/destroyed long ago.

20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Honestly the ending subverted the cliche for me. Went in thinking it was obviously going to be the 'Fitz almost has her hand but is pulled away and he leaves her there and gets back and for some reason no one believes he really saw her' and the plot is dragged out over more episodes. So it surprised me in that it was just 'nope, he saved her' don't really see shows doing that much anymore when they can drag something out instead.

Or asgard had dealings with attilan at some point

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    GenAntilles: Hmm...yeah, I do suppose that you have a point. Dragging it out would have been even more clichéd.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Given that Sif mentioned the past interactions with the Kree, it seems likely that the Asgardians faced off with both the Kree and the Inhumans throughout the centuries.

pronker, jabberwalkie and Abadacus like this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Line of the night was Dr. Randolph calling Bobbi an Amazon. 4th wall broken.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah I'm glad the Fitz/Simmons situation was resolved at the end, I was thinking either they'd drag it out some more or maybe legit bump one of them off just to increase the emo-ness, but looks like they'll be plenty of emotional trauma to get over.

I love Evil Ward. He's too much fun. I wiki'd which Strucker kid it was and I thought we might get the badass crazy Swordsman one from Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts one but he's a different Strucker kid. But I'm sure he'll still be an evil jerk and hopefully up to more on-screen craziness than his somewhat jokey dad. "Died a meaningless death" I thought was less a 4th wall comment and more a quip about how Strucker was basically just splattered across a jail cell so Ultron could send the Avengers a message.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I only just realized the Asgardian portal guy is Peter Macnicol who was Galen in Dragonslayer.