main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Its also interesting that Daisy has finally joined Ward's side-albeit !Ward and due to mind control...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    All those SkyeWard shippers can rejoice...

Jedi Merkurian and QueenSabe7 like this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, that's actually why I'm sort of onboard with GenAntilles' conceptual theory...
    We know the Hive gestalt retains the host memories -- what if one of those memories is strong enough to override the Hive-personality? What is Ward's demented desire for Daisy/Skye allows her to override Hive and she has to sacrifice herself in an exploding Quinjet to stop him because she's the only one who can lure him there?

pronker likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's a Brett Dalton interview where he points out that Ward is still in there, the same way Mallick's brother rises to the top when he confronts him. It'd be kind of nifty if Ward is so determined to Not Freakin' Die that he flat-out overcomes Hive. That darn Ward, he may be dead but he's still crafty as hell.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Be interesting if Ward's memories and desire to gain closure are what overcome Hive.

pronker and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

also...
    would be tragic for Coulson losing his surrogate daughter because of his sin in getting revenge on Ward. Ward will be responsible for taking away two of the women he loved most.

pronker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Even though the show is better than what it was at the very beginning, I'm done after this season. I understand the show needs to be itself and not just advertisement for the next Marvel movie, but there needs to be more of a connection to make it interesting, and nowadays there is zero connection, other than someone maybe offhandedly saying the name Thor or Hulk.

The rescue scene last show was one of the crappiest things I have seen so far. It sucked so bad.

8. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Ironically the more connections the show does the more complaints it gets for just trying to ride the movies coattails.

Same with the Netflix shows. No references, it's bad. When they do reference, still bad.

9. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    And the same with, well, pretty much everything. People want things, but when they get them all they do is complain.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it needs to have constant connections but I think the show has done a fantastic job of exploring the aftermath of the films (it's what I love most about it).

Things like Hydra and the fall of SHIELD get brushed away a single film in the movies or regulated to an afterthought. AOS explored that chaos and the world picking up the pieces.

These past two seasons have also done a very good job of establishing and exploring the dividing perspectives among the public at large over powered individuals to the point where the forthcoming Sokovia Accords make a lot more sense than simply reduced to the Battle of NY, the destruction of Project Insight and Sokovia.

And all the while they've made links from that through characters like Malick.

And while I agree the recent rescue wasn't the biggest action sequence they've had, they've had plenty of excellent ones to offset that- they can't all be Daisy, May or Bobbi taking down entire rooms of baddies in a single camera shot or brutal one-on-one fights, but when they do it it as good as anything the films have done.

Lest we forget:

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So with the season ramping up to a close, and Civil War two weeks out, I wonder how it'll integrate to the nearly mandatory Marvel movie being released that week tie-in episode and how much it'll stick out compared to the season arc and where it's headed. I thought it was well done last year, although the gal going off on Metal Men from the skies was a cool shout-out to Age of Ultron to end the episode but didn't have any payoff in the show proper. It's just like "Yeah, this happened at the theatres this week in between episodes" But I thought they way they worked Coluson into the hellicarrier in Ultron was pretty inspired. (Although I do still wish they had had the AoS crew, sans Coulson of course, driving the helicarrier in Ultron).

the tie-in eps probably won't get as good as those eps after Winter Solider came out but those were so awesome because it flipped the entire show on it's ear and directly intertwined with the story of the movie. Also I thought it was funny when Agent Sitwell showed upon AoS and then got called away to the freighter in the opening scene of Winter Solider. It was like watching a guy get called up from the minors in the middle of a game.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well Sitwell started off in Thor before he did the One-Shots and AOS, so he at least had some Major play ;).

I'm thinking this season they'll tie the Inhuman arc into a background influence that gets the Sokovia Accords passed and we might get episodes set concurrent to Civil War (much like in S1 with TWS) so they can play out the team divided for a brief spell (since they've been setting that up for over a year now). Then we'll get some form of CW aftermath that'll either resolve the Hive thread (if they don't conclude that before the movie) or get things setup for next season in some way now that the Inhumans arc has been played out.

Either way, I hope it's a stronger connection like S1's was. S2's book ends had good setup (mostly with locating Loki's sceptor/Von Strucker- though the movie wasted that thread) but had a poor aftermath (it was more like a "well, that happened" moment as far as Ultron himself went).

And the helicarrier scene should have been the stinger before the movie not the teaser after the movie.

You're right though that it felt odd not to see any of Coulson's crew aboard in that moment. The least they could have done was CG in Patton Oswalt into the background.

13. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I miss Patton Oswalt.:(

14. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    Well, you can always watch S1 and S2 on Netflix. It's how I got into the show, actually.

pronker likes this.
  15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    So...

Hydra is no more... and they end the mission with the phrase 'the head has been cut'. Feel that's almost asking for them to come back what with, 'cut off one head, two more shall take it's place.' but given the movies said Hydra was destroyed with Strucker in AoU it was only a matter of time before the show had to match that as well. Can't have everyone in Civil War saying Hydra is gone when they are flying jets openly in cities firing at police cars.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, even the movies portrayed Hydra agents (who were also Ten Rings) still active in Ant-Man, so there wasn't a complete incongruity there.

Still, it's good that non-SHIELD assets got a major victory for once. And even if two more heads will replace Malick, it'll take them time to match his level of resources now that Hive has spent it all.

And speaking of Hive- his group is pretty scary. Between what he can do (and force others to do, even to themselves), what Daisy can do (total force choke and near-TK powers), what the Ginja can do and what Aussie Gambit can do...

Speaking of which, what was Mack's line/quip about what Gambit could call himself? I couldn't make it out.

(And I'm surprised Daisy didn't say "It's already taken" when he suggested Scorch, ha)

17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Fire guy is actually the show's version of Hellfire from the Secret Warriors series. They've been introducing the other major team members over the course of the season (we already got yo-yo with Elena and Eden Fesi was mentioned I believe. Plus Daisy herself of course. And Lincoln and Joey are show-exclusive members).

So Fitz and Simmons finally die the horizontal tango, heck yeah. Now don't you dare "pull a Whedon" show and have something horrible happen to one of them. Give them at least, half a season or so to try and make this work at least.

Hive Ward is creepy and I love Brett Dalton's portrayal of him. Don't know how I feel about the possibility that this "rescue Daisy" plot might take up the entire rest of the season, but we'll see how it goes.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Because it's a Whedon show, your typo there is quite unfortunate for the very reasons you cite, lol...

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The sad part is, I can totally see that happening.

20. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_worried] Is there any other program out there with so many characters? Now there are Triplicate Girl Alisha and the Australian guy to keep track of. This is the only program I watch so perhaps NCIS and other action-y shows do the same after 3 years. Just wondering. O:)

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think there's that many for a genre show- you have 6 bad guys left (Hive, Daisy, Hellfire, the Ginja & the kidnapped scientist), 6 SHIELD characters (Coulson, May, Mack, Lincoln, Fitz & Simmons), 2 Secret Warriors & occasional appearances by Talbot & Blake. So, 14-16.

The regular crew of the Enterprise-D alone had 8 plus recurring appearances for 4-5 others), so 8-13. And that's not counting recurring villains or other characters.

TWD probably has 15-18 at any given time. And forget about counting GOT cast members, lol.

But it's definitely more than shows like NCIS. My parents watch NCIS shows constantly and they actually stopped watching AOS live this season because there were too many characters (they'll on-demand or Netflix binge them so they can track things better).

I think there's a natural buildup during a season where it might seem like more than it is- but that's still before people inevitably start getting killed (Malick, TK inhuman, Lash) or written out (Bobbi & Hunter).

pronker likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Let's not forget there's Baron Zemo and Crossbones running around in Civil War.
    In a way, I guess it's good to get rid of that element for now and cover new ground. The Inhumans threat has been a great alternative.

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    How are we not mentioning the coolest moment of last night?

Coulson has a freaking SHIELD in his hand!

"I thought it would be cool if the Director of SHIELD had a shield." :cool:

Also more worried than ever for the original team. I just fear it's May or Fitz. Jemma is in danger too. But May is Coulson's right hand. And with Andrew's story wrapped up, her development is also sort of done. And Fitz and Simmons keep saying they are cursed so...

Really hope it is one of the newer members. But can't shake the feeling it's one of the original team.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    With Fitz and Simmons finding love, their deaths seem imminent. But, on the plus side, Lincoln was strapped into a Murder Vest so maybe he is blown up in space because whatever (hopefully the reason is "Because you're Lincoln and you're annoying us" and they explode him). And the Coulson SHIELD shield is pretty darn fantastic.

As for wiping out HYDRA, I actually liked it because it basically happened off screen while Coulson was relegated to simply watching, in a sort of mildly resigned way. I betcha bottom dollar that in Civil War there's a reference to no more HYDRA anymore so AoS is putting it's ducks in a row. Give 'em five episodes, two more will take it's place. But if this is truly the end of HYDRA on AoS, that would be a bit of a shame that it ended as an afterthought.

Also did anyone else get the feeling May was bickering with Coulson just cuz Civil War is out next week so they had a sort of philosophical difference between the two main leads?

Anyway, next week is the one before Civil War so maybe it'll split up along Hive and Company hole up in the Hotel of Horrors and move the Inhumans plot along whilst I guess our SHIELD characters will do some piece moving for Civil War in the larger MCU.

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I loved when good Ward became bad Ward, but I worried they'd try to extend his use, but this third incarnation it so right on! Love Coulson's shield.

Great episdoe.