main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I can see it now: an episode with whoever they cast as Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch yelling OUR FATHER IS MAGNETO over and over.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It would be a way of getting around not being able to present their full background in Avengers 2 (though with the show not even so much as uttering the word mutant thus far in the series, I get the feeling the show is going to stick to things already established in the Cinematic universe that Marvel/Disney actually has the rights too).

3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    So glad people on here thought the newest episode was the best. I thought that too and when I tried to say this to my friend, he told me the previous episode was better.

I actually grew to enjoy the characters in this episode. They all worked well together, and the adventure was just interesting enough to keep me interested.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jed Whedon said in an interview that they're not allowed to say Mutant on the show- so that implies they're keeping to the same character restrictions the MCU has in theaters.

Which kinda makes sense- instead of having competing Spider-Mans and Wolverines (and doing them on TV budgets), they can keep things consistent and keep things in reserve for a big bidget MCU reboot if they ever get the rights back.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, that was my thinking on it. Keep it to what's established in the MCU for the show and save their entrie's (re - entries?:confused: ) for the big - screen.

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

That could work nicely, actually - if they ever do get the rights back, it'd make sense that the X-Men and Spidey would be a younger generation, to an extent. And thus Marvel would be hailed as a genius, despite the fact that they're really only doing the logical thing. :p

7. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Here's my theory about what they did to Coulson, after having watched IM3 and thus being caught up on the latest Marvel movie...

At the end of IM3, Tony Stark is all going on about how he can "fix" Extremis. Supposing that he did find a way to stabilize the thing (as the finale implies), I think that SHIELD may have "borrowed" the formula to give it to Coulson who had been gravely shot during Avengers, and most likely subsequently placed in an artificial coma to keep him stable until SHIELD could find a cure. It would explain the Tahiti remarks (a coma-induced hallucination?) and even his fumbling around with the gun (if you're under that long, muscle memory or not, you're going to need serious rehab to get back to normal). It would even make Fury's motivational speech to the Avengers true, if from a certain point of view, as Coulson would have been "dead" at the time (that is, stuck in a hopeless non-life, with no known cure able to help him).

Lauré :)

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    IM3 happens months after Avengers. There's no way they could have a stable Extremis at hand.

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    IM3 takes place December 2013 and The Avengers takes place in May 2011.

10. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    That's the point I was making. Coulson being placed in an artificial coma after Avengers while SHIELD thinks of a way to save him, IM3 happening some months (or years) later and Stark finding a way to fix Extremis, and then SHIELD stealing the formula to give it to Coulson. It's pretty coherent whant you think about it that way.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    He was stabbed through the heart. I think whatever saved him had to be right there when Loki attacked him.
    Two years? Pretty unlikely. Avengers probably takes place in May 2012 and IM3 just six months later.

Penguinator likes this.
  12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    How would an artificial coma delay bleed-out from a stab wound?

13. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty sure he's a Coulbot

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IM3 is supposed to be "thirteen years" after December 1999, so it should be December 2012.

Penguinator likes this.
  15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    But really, the only truly important thing about setting is that it's after The Avengers and also near Christmas. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is set after IM3, etc etc etc.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there are specific dating references in the films as far as time elapsing between movies, character ages, time since WW2, etc. Avengers does happen in May 2012 (as does Item 47 and the end of the IM3 prelude). IM3 is that Dec.

Some of the timelines I've seen place AOS in real time in Sept 2013 but I think our only real frame of reference is Coulson's recovery duration comments and, as Penguin points out, that it's simply after IM3 as it's not Xmas.

17. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    If he was a Coulbot he wouldn't be having trouble with his muscle memory when he has to chamber a round in his gun.

I'm thinking more like a Coulclone, or something organic, that actually has to develop muscle memory.

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm betting on a clone. It would explain him remembering stuff, but not having the muscle memory.

It was a good episode.

19. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Clone seems obvious, which makes me think the actual explanation will be something different. :p

Melinda was surprised when Akela asked her what "they did to him". She doesn't notice a fundamental difference in Coulson. That he's 'lightened up' doesn't really qualify. It takes someone who hasn't seen Coulson for a very long time to really see the difference. Whatever it is.

Also, why didn't whoever was at the head of the chain (presuming the guy who died wasn't the only 'middle-man') notice the distinct difference in height between Akela and Ward? Behaviour, too, if Akela had been carrying out these instructions for a long time.

Mar17swgirl and laurethiel1138 like this.
  20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Or, you know, the fact that their hands had different pigmentation. :p

I'm pretty curious about this next episode - despite my complaints, last episode and the one before weren't bad at disguising the budget and actually were pretty entertaining - but I hope we finally get real resolution with regards to what side Skye is actually on. Really, my main complaint is that nothing has been terribly subtle or clever so far, and having an elaborate ongoing plot about trust and deception sort of needs clever misdirection and subtlety. It feels like we've had a lot spelled out to us point-by-point with a lot of superfluous exposition.

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, that's even more bleeding obvious... :p

22. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, it's SHIELD we're talking about, with helicarriers and tesseract-inspired technology and the like. I'm sure they thought of something in their multiple contingency plans, as they pretty much define the trope of being crazy-prepared. And it's not as though it's impossible to subsitute a heart with a machine when someone is unconscious: heart surgeons do it all the time when their teams perform surgeries... SHIELD would just have to figure out how to do it for a prolonged period of time.

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Hmm. Yeah. :p Even if he managed to keep his hands out of sight at all other times, he was driving that car. Very difficult to drive and not lay eyes on either one of your hands.

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Or they'd have to figure out how to stop the bleeding fast enough to save Coulson, which it seems wasn't quite the case, right? An artificial heart is going to keep pumping blood out of that wound, and that's the actual problem.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    YOU CANT DIE WHEN YOU ARE ASLEEP