main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

pronker likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    You can stop the heart for a short amount of time. It's risky (like any major surgical procedure), but it could be done and, if they got him on the operating table fast enough, could be done in order to fix the wounds Coulson suffered.

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    True, but, given what they keep teasing with the show, that's not what happened, it seems.

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Cryogenics then? I mean if they have the tech to defrost Captain America (and bring him back to life) after 60 years....

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    But that doesn't explain why Coulson's continued existence warrants they keep secrets about his "death."

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Besides the fact that you'd have a bunch of Avengers sorely pissed at being lied to?

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm pretty sure that's not a secret you'd need to keep from him, though.

Penguinator likes this.
  8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So the Avengers would be pissed off that Loki stabbing Coulson was all part of a great ploy to fake his death to catalyze them into action?

I think it's safe to say Coulson died, but they've brought him back after the fact. Keeping his second life classified (which, let's face it, is rapidly becoming less and less important as characters of all levels of clearance interact with him) just seems to be a handy MacGuffin for the mystery as to how he has been returned to not-stabbed status.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Or someone with an X-Ray cyber-eye...

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes. Put me firmly in the Coulson died, Coulson lives again, and the great mystery is how we got there.

Could it be an Infinity Gem? Sure.
    Could it be a new character possibly altering reality? Sure.
    Could it be a Doctor who also happens to dabble with high-end magic? Sure.

Any of those would fit into the Marvel Universe. And, any of them might be things S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't want Coulson to know about.

I don't see it being a LMD, a Coulson decoy, Coulson not dying. Anything like that.

Penguinator likes this.
  11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I totally believe it's him and not a LMD. I think using the LMD excuse is taking the easy way out. I'm hoping it has something to do with Doctor Strange.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Pfft, I hear that guy couldn't even save a dying old lady.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whatever it is, I'm going with the "it could be seen in X-Ray mode" theory. That suggests either mechanical or something noticeably out of place, biologically. I'm assuming "magic energy" and the like wouldn't be visible with tech like that.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Haven't the producers discussed that there is no real magic in the MCU, just sufficiently advanced Asagrdian tech? Or am I just imagining things?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

1. Freddy Krueger would disagree with you.

2. People die of natural causes in their sleep.

3. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

That's really going to screw up Dr. Strange.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm going to go out on a dangerous limb here and suggest that maybe the all-caps post was intended as sarcasm.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    True, that's why I did a response like I did. Semi serious, semi not serious. That way, my bases are covered.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That may change somewhat when they introduce Dr. Strange into the MCU.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Thor said in his world that science and magic are one. It's a combination.

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    What he meant was that what us "mortals" call magic is really just science.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And I would disagree and say you are reading more into what he said.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think, currently, everything is science (or magic-seeming science. But Doc Strange will be the platform at which to introduce the truly mystic stuff.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. dingwog

dingwog Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2013
    I think people are giving Joss Whedon too much credit on creating great characters. He really had a history of failed TV shows with an intense cult following. I am sure there are some good points made in the thread but I was out after 2 episodes. Bad acting, worse jokes, rehashed stories and characters I couldn't like. I'm sure it will do well but for my time I'll watch Arrow every week instead.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    My issue with an LMD is it is still too advanced. What we've seen so far is high tech stuff sure. But the eye was apparently pretty revolutionary tech to Fitz and Simmons. And as great as Tony's tech is, he just started remote controlling his suits by Iron Man 3 and didn't remove his arc reactor until the end. And he's the most brilliant mind in the MCU. So who exactly designs an LMD for Coulson?

And as for cloning, there has been no real evidence of anything on that level either. For the most part, we're supposed to be in the early age of the Marvel Universe. Heroes are just emerging. Tech like this is just developing. The LMD joke by Tony may indicate the possibility down the line, but there is no evidence to really back it up.

I much prefer other means. Magic or science. I still favor the Infinity formula. It fits nicely into "he can never know" because it effectively makes him more than human. He'd seem more fit with to x-ray eye for example. he'd age super slow which means he would be 'cursed' with longevity. It was done to save his life and shows just how close he really was to death. As far as muscle memory, perhaps it affects that as well in the same way Steve Rogers was affected by the super soldier serum with things like drinking.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Is there anyone else in the MU that could have designed an LMD? We can rule Tony and Banner out at this stage, and the MCU doesn't have access to Reed Richards, Doctor Doom, Hank McCoy or Forge. So unless Pym has been busy behind the scenes...