main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Anyone want to comment on my Spider-Man comment.

2. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Are we sure it s only 13? Or will they extend it to 20-22 if its successful?

3. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    It is only going to he 13 for the first season but maybe for season 2.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, if it's a hit, I can't see ABC not wanting to extend the order to a full broadcast season run of 22 eps.

On the other hand, cable type of season of 13, could lesson the chance of 'filler' episodes and maybe a tightly plotted season. And maybe less of a chance of dragged out questions needed to be answered (like for instance, how did Coulson survive?)

5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It's probably a prequel to the Avengers movies, or at least the last one.

6. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Half the trailer is about how the world has changed since New York was attacked by aliens and how the cool young agent has enough clearance to know Coulson is dead. BUT OH WAIT COULSON ISNT DEAD IF YOU HAVE LEVEL 7 CLEARANCE.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's been stated (and the trailers for the show confirm this) that the series is post - the first Avengers film.

8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I thought it was about the formation of SHIELD, how can it be about the formation of something that already existed if it's post Avengers?

I haven't seen the trailers too much, so I don't know what the deal is

9. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well...its not about the formation of SHIELD. There you go.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's about the formation of Coulson's SHIELD team, not the formation of SHIELD itself. I though it's possible we could get flashbacks to the formation of SHIELD if the series is successful.

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Ah. I see. Carry on!

12. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    You may also be referring to the Agent Carter series that is in pre-prodution.

13. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

it takes place after the first avengers also

‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Pilot Synopsis & Featurette Hint at Extremis Return?

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I really want Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man to appear in this show and in the MCU.

StarWarsZombie likes this.
  15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It's not gonna happen man. The rights are owned by two different studios.

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Well Sony and Disney have been nice to each other before. No reason It can't happen again.

17. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    More importantly, The Amazing Spider-Man doesn't feel like it's part of the MCU... because it isn't.

The reason I feel the franchise has been so successful is because they were built from the ground up to be part of a larger whole, to co-exist. That's something DC haven't figured out yet, and why their cinematic universe doesn't exist.

You can't just retroactively mesh different movies and shows together. It does not work, it just doesn't feel right.

18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I disagree with you on that. Though the movie as no connections to the other films in the MCU it could very well fit. The tech we see at Oscorp looks similar to something that Stark would make. Also in the MCU 2012 does not have anything in it. And TASM takes place in Oct. 2012 with the second to follow about two weeks later. It would be easy enough to pop in Nick Fury in TASM 2 to talk to Peter about the Avengers Initiative. Then in AoS you could have Peter working with the team to do something.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Are you kidding me? They are making a spin-off to as-of-yet-unlaunched spin-off? Really?

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So, no X-Men/Avengers crossover? :_|

22. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    While that'd be cool to see, yes, the problem is there. It would always feel like a crossover. That you took two separate universes with different tones and meshed them together.

That said, if Marvel were to do such a thing, I think they'd find a way. They've shown that, above all others, they know how to create a coherent universe with all these different heroes and villains in them. So if they weren't wanting to reboot the X-Men universe, they'd have a job of making it seem like it was always a part of the MCU. But if anyone could do it, it's Marvel.

EDIT: Interestingly, I'm sounding like a massive Marvel fanboy. The Dark Knight trilogy is my favourite superhero film (series). DC just don't know how to create a larger universe.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There already almost was an ASM/Avengers crossover of sorts- Marvel was going to put the Oscorp building into the NYC skyline in Avengers, but the FX team was too far along by time they tried to do it so it didn't make it.

And that kinda makes it impossible for ASM to be merged with the MCU at this point- if there's no Oscorp building in NYC in Avengers, then ASM is after Avengers. But there's no Stark/Avengers Tower in ASM and it's clearly not a NYC where superheroes and alien invasions have already existed, so ASM can't be after Avengers.

So, unless Oscorp Tower gets destroyed by the end of the Sinister Six series, it just doesn't fit.

I'd argue that IM2 is underrated (certainly vastly misunderstood), but even if that wasn't the case, it's nowhere near bad enough to be worth skipping (outside of Avengers and the first 2/3rds of IM1, I'd even say it's the one I'd rewatch the most).

(Though how much you like Justin Hammer will often be the deciding factor for people (seems like half the people who see the movie hate him and, thus, his heavy presence takes them out of the film, while the other half think he's the best (or the only) good thing about the movie and wish he were in it more).)

Well, it comes out tomorrow but they've already screened it at Comic-Con and through other release venues and feedback was very positive- so it's not unrealistic for them to be able to judge the quality of the finished product at this point and determine if they'd like to expand it from a short film into a series (much like how they effectively spun Item 47 into Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in pretty much the same less-than-a-year timespan).

Structurally, a period secret agent series would also be both unique enough and doable on a TV budget (focused on non-powered individuals means less FX, broader appeal), etc.

Juliet316 and 07jonesj like this.
  24. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    The2ndQuest Why do you think there were so many cranes in TASM. Maybe there was damage for a invasion they were trying to repair. [face_dancing]

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's actually pretty clever, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was just a big project happening down an avenue in NYC ;).

But it's more the characters' reaction to events that dismisses that possibility than anything else. Reaction to the Lizard in a post-invasion NYC wouldn't be so dismissive of large reptiles ;). They'd probably be swarming with a military response instead of just local law enforcement.

(there's still now stArk Tower either)