main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I have to admit, I had really hoped we would be getting that vibe from this show. I'm appreciating the all-ages, A-Team-meets-old-Bond approach it is attempting, but not enough of the characters are working well enough to make that approach succeed.

At this point I'm just hopping that, by the back 9 of the season (which is probably the earliest point where they could make a major course correction based on the initial feedback since the premiere) or by the start of next season, that they'll manage to implement a change of direction and shifting of focus onto some newer characters and phase out the ones not working (primarily Skye and Ward).

And that, hopefully, the "Joss Whedon is frantically rewriting every script" rumor from before the show premiere means we'll see a quality increase guide or transition us to that point.

We've gotten two decent-to-good episodes (I liked Eye Spy and 0-8-4 quite a bit), one with some promise that came up short (the Pilot) and two that have had mixed success (at best) at integrating the actual super hero element into the show (The Asset & Girl in the Flower Dress).

Volderon likes this.
  2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    My chief concern with this, if it's true, is the potential drop once we're past the rewrites. If it was really that bad, then it's probably an issue that's going to persist past his temporary rescue.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    A rerun during the first season? Really?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's called Network Television. It welcomes you to this century. Much has changed in the 60 years since you were last on Earth, but we will strive to help you adapt as smoothly as possible.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Take me to your leader?

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    So how far in advance are these episodes completed? I genuinely wish I knew more about the actual legwork/scheduling side of production, because it would really help explain delays (network mandated or otherwise) with various shows I follow.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's often a couple months- at least for actual filming. Scheduling-wise, I assume the delay this week was to push episodes into Nov sweeps (and, eventually, more for Feb sweeps).

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The pilot was filmed, I presume in either February of last year, or last May. As soon as it was green lit, a full production workload began. My guess is that eight or nine are done. The reason for this week's delay is as noted, for sweeps and because of the World Series. The decision was probably made three to four weeks ago. Probably even earlier. Because ABC is choosing to air the show over the course of a regular television season, rather than like "Lost" during the final couple of seasons where it was aired over a five to six month schedule, you're going to run into the usual glut of repeats.

And yes, it is common in all television shows to have repeats. Even in the first season.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  11. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    That's good to hear, not about the reruns, but that there will not be a humongous hiatus in which I lose interest. LOST was fantastic for the first 2 years, then got weirder, strangely scheduled and I forgot about it being on. Short Attention Time Theater, I am.[face_cowboy]

12. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Apparently. Makes me wonder how the show will turn out once we get to the aftermath of Winter Soldier.

14. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    And maybe it's where Whedon rewrites come in, what with him being the godfather of all things Marvel nowadays. To make sure all the interconnecting elements are there and that there are no inconsistencies between the movie and television universes, which are supposed to be one and the same.

So in a nutshell: Keep calm and carry on.

Lauré :)

pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Well, the thing was that the glut of repeats that often comes during and after Christmas, is what lead to the changes in scheduling. First it was to have six to seven upfront and then the rest at the end of the season, but that wasn't working as well, so it was just changed to what it became. Quality of the show is irrelevant to that part. It's the same way that shows like "True Blood" and "Boardwalk Empire" will air an entire season, which is like fifteen episodes, all at once and then the time in between is when new episodes are written and then filmed.

Probably. It's the same way that that "Iron Man 3" came out in May and in September, we had Extremis in the first episode.

pronker likes this.
  16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Given Winter Soldier is in April, it's a good bet we'll see some type of tie in to that as well and I wouldn't be surprised if they did a little lead in hint to Guardians of the Galaxy before their season finale.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Given May sweeps is a thing, I'd potentially expect to see Chris Evans, Scarlett Johannson and SLJ in an episode together in May, provided any of them survive the film.

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Wouldn't surprise me. Isn't Avengers 2 supposed to start filming soon? Perfect time to fly over the AOS cast for some cameo time.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So this show demands that we pay lots of money to see these movies? Such shame.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  20. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Or is it these movies demand we take the time to watch the show?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Or maybe it's none of those things, and it's all a scheme by the Riddler to steal our intelligence via Brainwaves?!

Juliet316 and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's cool to hear. The season has basically been most focused on the aftermath of IM3 (and, to a lesser extent [although named-checked more often], Avengers) what with Extremis and the hidden organizations working to perfect it popping up in a few episodes.

It's not a stretch to see Thor 2's aftermath being at the midpoint of the season [in Nov sweeps] and Winter Solider's aftermath at season's end [in May sweeps].

If thats the case, it'll effectively make Season 1 a core Phase 3 supplemental (presumably SHIELD will have less to do with GOTG's events, so a likely Season 2 will only have Ultron lead-ins to possibly integrate- which will work given that AOU will hit during the final episodes of Season 2- if the 11 days for Thor 2 is sufficient, they could still squeeze an AOU aftermath episode in mid-late May as a season finale.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, I expect GOTG to not play much of a part, unless something happens on Earth. If the show makes it to when the third Avengers film comes out, then I'd wager we'll start seeing more direct lines to GOTG. As to cameos, I think we'll see Nick Fury again before long. Especially once we get to find out about Tahiti. Maria Hill will probably appear at that time as well.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah once HIMYM ends, that'll free her up to appear more often as Hill.

For those curious as to production schedule, even though the pilot was filmed early this year, the show wasn't green lit to series until May 10th, and they didn't publicly reveal the writers until late June/early July.

So, presumably, series production didn't start until early/ mid July.

Most shows pump out an episode in one week, so they may have possibly finished filming the 13th episode by time the first non-pilot episode aired, assuming they started the second week of July and took no breaks.

But they probably started a little later than that. Either way, they couldn't have completed shooting more than 13 episodes before Oct 10th, since they didn't get the back 9 ordered until then.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And a lot of series (unless they are comedies before a live audience) don't always shoot in the order in which an episode will ultimately air either.