main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Or inadequately ominous...

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That was what my assumption was as well- "Oh, of course they're going to use the flying car to save her…".

Now that they haven't, I';m disappointed at the lack of flying car utilization going on here… ;)

3. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I actually thought Ward was going to jump in the car.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed this episode more than any so far. I liked the premise of the alien virus and the frustration expressed by Fitz that they're not chasing down a murderer, and a virus is much harder to contain. I loved the scene between Coulson and the firefighter, and the scene between Coulson and May, when they talked about death. 'You died, and whether it was for eight minutes or 40, you don't go through an experience like that and come out unchanged. You are different.'

And geez, poor Simmons, so much back and forth about whether she had actually found the antidote.

The skydiving scene was ludicrous though.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  5. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    All of the above scenes you mentioned were great, and I also liked the scene with Ward declaring his fear of not being able to protect his team to Skye. Honestly, the acting in this series is really quite good imo. The one thing I liked about the skydiving scene was that it actually looked real, and not all CGI-ed up.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd disagree there a little- what with Iron Man 3 having a sequence that obviously used real skydivers, the one here was obviously done on blue screen & a TV budget- but it wasn't terrible in that regards.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  8. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    The2ndQuest

Oh, I've never seen IM 3 yet, but it's awesome if the creators used real skydivers as you don't see that kind of stunt work much nowadays in films (understandably so, as it's obviously quite dangerous). Anyway though, I get what you mean as seeing an authentic skydiving scene in comparison to a special effects laden one would make a person more aware of the differences, for sure. I'm actually really finicky about that CGI sort of stuff usually, but for whatever reason it just didn't bother me this time around. Your post sums it up best imo; it could have been better, but it wasn't terrible.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, it gave the show the one biggest thing it had been lacking in previous weeks -- heart.

[​IMG]

The thing that made a show like Firefly work was that the ensemble had real warmth. They loved each other however much they bickered, they were a team, they made you love them and want to bask in the glow of their camaraderie. You watch and rewatch episodes to hang out with those people. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. so far has struggled with the warmth. It hasn't shown soul, hasn't connected with the viewer's heart. This was a huge step in the right direction, by showing us characters who have internal lives, who care deeply about each other, who poke fun at each other, who turn out to be self-aware and mischievous about being humorless superagents. I felt like we finally really connected with the characters on an emotional level.

It probably helped that this was an episode entirely focused on the team. By eliminating the antagonist of the week and going purely with an impersonal team-in-peril storyline, it put all the drama, all the focus on the team and how they reacted to adversity, how they responded to a threat to one of their own, rather than about the travails of Superhero Dad or the plot machinations to get at Fire Jerk. It was all about bringing out their personalities, and it worked.

lbr789, ma_petite and Mia Mesharad like this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Simon: Captain, why did you come back for us?
    Mal: You're on my crew.
    Simon: Yeah, but you don't even like me. Why'd you come back?
    Mal: You're on my crew. Why're we still talking about this?

I think that sums up what you mean? ;)

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Nice! Victoria Hand did grow on me by the end of her run so it'll be interesting to see how they use her. More minor comic characters are certainly welcome. And I remember the actress from Boston Legal and I think she was just on The Crazy Ones. So looking forward to seeing her tackle Victoria Hand.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Of course now I'm looking forward to a H.A.M.M.E.R. / Dark Reign plotline somehow....

Anyways, Interview with Jeph Loeb on Marvel TV/AOS.

He briefly talks about the Jessica Jones and Hulk TV shows that were being developed a few years back that never came to fruition. He also seems to really focus on episode 6 (FZZT) as being the turning point for the series in terms of the cast and characters clicking. Also reveals that Sitwell will be showing up as well (horray!).

We both agreed that the key to the kingdom was Clark Gregg, but the problem was that Agent Colson was dead so that had to be solved. It became something that we could use as an important, but not overwhelming, storyline in the same kind of in the way that in the ‘X-Files’ Scully and Mulder knew that they were looking for something, but every single episode wasn’t about that thing.

The only promise that we will make you is that you won’t have to wait five or six seasons in order to ‘find out what the island is’ (laughs). We hope to have that kind of success, but this particular question will be answered ‘sooner than you expect’ yet ‘not soon enough’ for our fan base.

There are some very exciting folk from the Marvel Universe proper coming in. I think folk out there already know that Agent Blake from the ‘Item 47’ short is coming in and that will be followed up by us making a visit to a SHIELD facility where there will be a few familiar faces and that Agent Sitwell will be coming in.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Well that sounds good, I'm definitely on the side that prefers this Colson secret island thing not drag on forever.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, because I can't swim. And two, it's fiction. Like I said, I guess you didn't like "Eraser" where Arnold Schwarzenegger had to chase after a parachute, in mid air and struggle to put it on, before hitting the ground. Or any James Bond film where he didn't have time to properly jump.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    =D= I liked it quite a bit, and feel interested enough to go on watching. The fireman scene was a standout. When Ming-Na spoke as a friend to Coulson at the end, I could hear an older Mulan giving advice such as this. Also, this makes me want to rewatch Mulan, just to compare voices of young/mature Ming-Na's. [face_thinking]

16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't think it's been brought up yet, but apparently the Thor tie-in episode is set to be directed by Jonathan Frakes. Expect Trek references?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It was in the article and the person who posted/quoted it.

And he generally doesn't make Trek references unless the episode calls for it (e.g. Castle or Roswell).

18. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    What I haven't seen discussed is theories on how May died for 40 seconds, and what was the mission that this happened in that made her go from being "The Cavalry" to the desk agent in the pilot. And why she doesn't carry firearms into the field anymore.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think everybody's been so focused on 'okayl, Coulson's not an LMD; how was he brought back?" that nobody's given a thought to the revelation about May. My guess is that it won't be similar circumstances such as what happened to Coulson in The Avengers, but I would reckon it caused her enough PTSD to make her decide to ride a desk in the aftermath. And she used firearms in the second episode (when acting as backup to get the team out of the line of fire at that 'Mayan' temple), but I don't think there's been much in the way of circumstances that would force her to have to use a gun since then.

pronker likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Maybe I skimmed over that part, but I thought she was being metaphorical -- that something like that changed her on a mission -- not that she also literally died for 40 seconds on a mission.

I'm perfectly comfortable admitting I may have gotten that wrong...

pronker likes this.
  21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It does seem as though May had a near death experience. What happened and for how long isn't clear but that definitely seems to be what she's indicating. Also Loeb's comments further make me think Coulson is not an LMD but the real deal and the scars this past episode were to put a rest to LMD speculation.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Until we find out what happened, I wouldn't put LMD to rest.

23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    This seems to be appropriate for this episode:

[​IMG]

:p

pronker and VadersLaMent like this.
  24. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This is likely a matter for fanfictionO:) , but I would like to know ... did Coulson have a funeral just for show? Just in case, you know, the Tahiti Project didn't work?

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Likely. Especially, if the Avengers were never told he was alive.

pronker likes this.