main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yep, networks competing with big events (Olympics, Oscars, Super Bowl, etc.) always dump their junk at that time. If it's not repeats it's something that have no faith in. I remember Fox dumped the final 4 episodes of Arrested Development opposite the Beijing Opening Ceremonies back in 08.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Almost every episode has been introducing or establishing elements into the ongoing story arc before starting to coalesce together mid way through the season into the end-game story arc of the last few episodes of the season. It just wasn't very obvious until you knew what you were looking for.

101: Pilot- Introduces centipede, Petersen.
    102: 0-8-4- Introduces the concept and significance of an 0-8-4 as a setup for the Skye connection down the road.
    103: The Asset- Introduces Quinn
    104: Eye Spy- Introduces the remote controlled implants and messages (presumably being sent by the Clairvoyant)
    105: Girl in the Flower Dress- Further setup for the Clairvoyant and the Centipede organization
    106: F.Z.Z.T- Not directly related to the larger story arc, though a key step in the Coulson subplot
    107: The Hub- Slight progression on Skye's 084 nature and Coulson's subplot.
    108: The Well- Thor tie-in, slight progression on Coulson's subplot.
    109: Repairs- This one is stand-alone.
    110: The Bridge- Petersen, Coulson, Clairvoyant and Centipede subplots converge
    111: The Magical Place- Large development on Coulson subplot, begining to converge Eye Spy remote tech with Petersen.
    112: Seeds- Further developments with Quinn, now connecting him with the Clairvoyant. Skye's connection to the 0-8-4 origin.
    113: T.R.A.C.K.S.- Quinn, Clairvoyant, Peterson, Eye Spy, Centipede all converge into the introduction of Deathlok.

So, out of the first 13 episodes of the first season, we've only had 3 episodes that were not directly related to the non-Coulson-related (as the resurrection tech may or may not tie into Deathlok too) ongoing story arc. Out of those 3, one was a vague Thor tie-in (something people expected/wanted out of the show) and one was the first episode where most people started caring about the characters (F.Z.Z.T.).

Compare that to, say, Babylon 5- pretty much the gold standard in laying out an ongoing story arc, whose first season also took 13 episodes (not counting pilot movie) to have it's first big "mythology" episode.

Of it's preceding 12 episodes, more than half were either complete standalones, only connected to one or two follow-up episodes seasons later, or were only connected to the larger arc in connections so vague you'd have to read about them after watching the whole series to understand them.

AOS is following a very reasonable and generous first season structure for establishing an ongoing story arc versus standalones. The quality of execution is debatable, but they're hardly unconnected. We just didn't know how they were connected yet when we first watched them.

s65horsey, lbr789, pronker and 7 others like this.
  3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Did a last ep rewatch, and the old lady who turns around in her seat at the Simmons-to-Coulson rant resembles Mrs. Lee, Joan, who has also done voice acting. Her appearance isn't listed on imdb, but it sure looks like her.

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well ABC teased a maximum event in the coming weeks clearly tied into Winter Soldier. Looks like this season will go out with a bang.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nothing we haven't guessed about Coulson's team splitting from SHIELD based on The Winter Soldier...

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And they have been hyping the back-nine, which I assume will make up this Uprising "maximum event".

7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Seems a bit soon for Coulson and team to go full on rogue though.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Depends on what causes it, if the speculation and rumors are accurate.

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think it's likely they're going to be filling an IA-type role for SHIELD, or something like that, following the events of Winter Soldier.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think it'll last until "Age Of Ultron" and we'll probably get an idea of where S.H.I.E.L.D. will be at by that point. If the show makes to a third season, then we'll see how it goes.

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    So tonight's episode... what the heck...

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Did anyone die?

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I think I just saw an Enginner from Prometheus...

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So it jumped the shark, then?

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Honestly I have no idea what I just saw...

If that things a Kree I think Skye just became Ms. Marvel...

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Noooo I missed it.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Oh I really hope not. That would be terrible. What does GH stand for?

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yep, I was wondering what the heck that was. HOWEVER!

Earlier in the episode I was doing work and I dropped my mouse as Simmons answered the phone and said "Oh, I asked Dr. Straighton to consult" and it sounded EXACTLY like "Dr. Strange" and I'm all like "So that's why Feige has been downplaying everything recently..."

Yodaminch and The2ndQuest like this.
  19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is a little hopeful. Maybe. More what I've been looking for anyway.

Tonight's episode...just...ugh. I am so over Skye.

Skye could hack into this hologram and hack into this compound and do any number of things to save Skye's life if only Skye didn't need her life saved.

And now Skye is coming back to life with spliced-together intestines.

That said...I did thoroughly enjoy Bill Paxton, and May kicking Quinn's ass.

The preview for next week looks much better. We'll see.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Paxton was cool.
    Dr. Manhattan's torso, not so much. [face_plain]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Dp- I had that exact reaction! "A Doctor Strange reference!" Then, a min or two later, "Oh, it was just the accent, dammit...".

Bill Paxton was good- I liked the dynamic everyone had together/between them. And May's moment early on was satisfying and kinda fave me chills.

As to the end (well, not the stinger, which was basically like the opening scene to the next episode it seems), I have NO idea what that was.

And now every fanboy lore master is digging through every Marvel wiki and guide trying to figure out what "G.H." might stand for and answer that question).

Also, that Echo Chamber interface? IwantoneIwantoneIwantone!

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And more likely G.H. was probably an ABC inside joke reference to General Hospital, the network's last remaining soap opera.

pronker likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Just gonna leave this here.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, and I don't see any reason GH couldn't actually stand for "guest house", in that they coded everything in that facility accordingly.

25. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    So they injected her with Jotuun blood or something, and she'll start having Loki-lite powers, or the like?

Lauré :)