main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well that episode was pretty great and addressed every issue I wanted addressed exactly how I wanted it addressed.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Didn't like the ending. Reeked too much of a certain twist in S2 of Dollhouse that made me want to beat my head against the wall. We'll see how this one plays out but... yeah.

Of course now we've got to wait two weeks for a fresh ep because ABC's doing a special next week on the entire MCU.

3. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Really? I always figured May for a spy for Fury/SHIELD to keep Coulson in line.

s65horsey likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I kinda thought that if there was a spy it would end up possibly being Ward giving Hill being the one to bring him to Level 7 status and Coulson's team

But yeah, it's more like 'fave character I like/love possibly being made evil and possibly dying at the end of the season' sort of gave me Dollhouse flashbacks. Like I said, we'll see how it goes, but... yeah. I'm ready to possibly want to throw things at Joss and his team.

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Jed, you mean.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, when we were watching it, I was like "OK, when do we get to quote Wash?"
    [​IMG]

As far as tonight's episode, my TV was kinda glitchy so I missed a few minutes here and there. However, is it just me, or did Ward get handed the Idiot Ball for not immediately shooting Lorelei as soon as he saw her.

7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    To be fair with Ward, Sif did say Lorelei's voice is usually enough to sway most men. So it's likely Ward was already partially under her spell, though not totally. He may still have some free will but not enough to actively stop her himself which is why he called for back up.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    It was several seconds before she ever spoke. Plenty of time for Ward to shoot her with the 'roided. up Night Night Gun.

9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    SHIELD seems to have a rule about not shooting villains until you chat with them first though.

10. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
  11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    If you're going to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

[​IMG]

Also, man, those were some clean-cut One-Percenters at the beginning, huh?

EDIT: UGHHH his weapon was non-lethal and Sif had already demonstrated that a shotgun blast does nothing to an Asgardian. This is goofy.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He got handed the idiot ball.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Well he's learning under Coulson now. How did Coulson handle Loki again? :p

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    He got duped by an illusion and stabbed from behind?

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm mixed on the episode- not just Ward's idiot ball moment (with the sound-of-her-voice rules, how hard would it be to have her call out from the roof before she jumped down and he'd have had the opportunity to shoot her?) but also just because these Mudd/Poison Ivy/Hathor-type male mind control stories are never good.

That said, it was handled here less goofily than other attempts and there was at least a decent motivation behind Lorelei between her seduction scenes.

(On a side note, given how Asgardians know of technology and various types of mechanical vehicles, how is it Lorelei would react so unfamiliar to a motorcycle, thinking it a beast?)

Coulson's decision here still seems a bit more extreme- I agree more with Skye's reaction but that probably has more to do with Coulson actually dying versus Skye's life support.

The last twist I'm not going to judge until we see how it plays out.

I did like Sif here though- it's really the first time where her affections for Thor are actually stated (albeit from an unreliable source) instead of being subtext.

It's also good to know Asgard is tracking down those that escaped during the Dark World's prison break- though she says it's under Odin's orders... who is really Loki. Hmmm...

pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm sorry, but this episode was goofy as hell. Sif uses her shield to block small arms fire before kicking the RV into position to provide cover for the team. Then, when she's inside the bar, someone hits her with a shotgun blast at point-blank range and she barely flinches. Then Ward hesitates (why? he's a trained killer, isn't he?) to shoot Lorelei with his non-lethal bullets. At that point, what plausible reason was their for not trying to knock her out? The bullets wouldn't kill her and probably wouldn't have knocked her out, so he could have just emptied the clip, right? Ugh.

The episode does pick up, though the dialogue felt really stilted, and Alexander's performance was (mostly) stiff and wooden. She gets much better in her big confrontation with Lorelei (though the fight choreography was goofy), though, and the show finally decides to show that Sif is caught between duty and desire, which we already sort of knew, but it was a good moment nonetheless. Fitz was the best part of the episode (the guy's got great comic timing and remains a highlight for me), though Simmons is quite good, too. I feel like the tone of the first Thor movie would've been something to emulate - the "seen it all" wisecracking attitude, that sort of thing. That's the sort of thing Marvel's universe really thrives on, that unfazed and sarcastic "Superheroes in New York? Gimme a break."

I'm not saying that the show is bad, because there were genuinely fun moments in here, genuinely interesting things, but for the most part it never really did much noteworthy. It felt like a monster-of-the-week episode with a Special Guest Star, because that's honestly what it was. What would've been a blast is if Lorelei stuck with the newlywed from the beginning and they proved harder to catch than initially thought. Instead we have a largely humourless and awkward episode, at least in my eyes.

Though Sif did mention the Kree, so all I needed was more Bill Paxton and I'd have been happy.

17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Eh, this episode has been my favorite thus far.

Ward hesitating to shoot is a non issue for me. I mean last week we had people complaining Ward did shoot hostiles now people are complaining he didn't shoot hostiles. It's a tv show and heroes aren't supposed to shoot first.

I thought Jaimie Alexander did a terrific job and hope she shows up more often on the show. Found no real difference between her performance here than in the movies.

Coulson did what I wanted and did the smart thing of asking Sif if she would know what the blue alien he saw was, and we got a Kree name drop. Sif acknowledged Coulson was supposed to be dead so we know the Asgardians are still in the dark on that, guess Heimdall doesn't see all. Coulson didn't keep the alien stuff with Skye a secret. Skye finally called Coulson out on the complaining about being brought back, even if the means weren't the most orthodox. Sitwell showed up.

Simmons and Fitz were hilarious.

I had zero issues with this episode and did not feel let down or disappointed for any reason.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    The shooting last week - those dudes were still probably just doing their jobs! :p

The lack of shooting this week - it was a tranquilizer gun, there was literally no reason to not shoot the bad woman from space.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I forgot about Sitwell's scene- that was a good one, kinda brought back their snappy dialogue from The Consultant. Much better than his last appearance.

Penguinator likes this.
  20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Regular bullets had no effect on Asgardians I doubt a stun gun would've done anything to her in the first place even if he fired the whole clip. Either Ward was already under the effects of mind control and chose not to fire or he knew it was pointless and would only antagonize her into fighting him so he called for backup and hoped she wouldn't call his bluff on his gun being useless.

21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Yes, talking to the enemy who can mind-control folks with speech is a great idea.

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Considering that's what EVERYONE did with Loki in Avengers there is a precedent for heroes ignoring obvious risks and choosing to chat instead. Is it stupid? Sure, but it's been established that this is just how things are in this universe.

23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Loki had a mind-control stick that required contact.

24. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Really? It seemed to be doing a pretty good job getting everyone to start fighting and arguing without Loki holding it. And Tony had no way of knowing it wouldn't work on him. My point is it's become expected that the hero won't do the sensible thing and shoot first. If we don't expect the Avengers to do it we shouldn't expect Ward to do it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Hence why I wasn't so bothered by his 'idiot ball' moment.

GenAntilles likes this.