main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Perhaps the agents were running around as that was when the Lemurian Star was hijacked and they were scrambling the STRIKE team?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the timeline is pretty good- the majority of the episode takes place during TWS's opening events on the boat. Hand's orders at the end of the episode are taking place at the same time as the order to move against Fury is given a few scenes later, presumably alongside...

any other agents that might work for Fury and against Pierce/HYDRA like Captain America (though they wait a day to move against Cap, probably to feel out his intentions/loyalties first- but Crossbones and the HYRA strike teams are in position and ready to move by that point int time and Sitwell is in charge of the Triskelion command).

If May is working for Fury and Hand gets wind of it, it would make sense she would be a threat tied to the move against Fury.

And that's assuming Hand is HYDRA and not simply following orders/just being her nasty self.

One other amusing thought that crossed my mind after seeing TWS that I posted over in that thread was how Skye has been dreaming and training hard to become a SHIELD agent, then literally the day after she becomes one, SHIELD is disbanded. [face_laugh]

4. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    And I guess we can assume...

Maria won't be showing up again, let alone be a regular or recurring character, and Sharon seems unlikely to show up too.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maria could still be a Stark liaison for the team if they end up operating on their own or supporting Fury directly in cleaning up HYDRA agents still at large and need tech or some such- in fact, that might be an interesting angle for them to get new gadgets without SHIELD to provide them.

6. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    That's an interesting idea, and Sharon at the CIA could be their source for intel as well.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another TWS irony:

Item 47 was effectively a back door test pilot for Agents of SHIELD. But the SHIELD character who starred in it was actually a HYDRA agent.

The show is a lie! ;)

8. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I wonder if Blake is Hydra too.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I would think that this gives Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a great opportunity to finally be about something, to have a distinct role in the MCU. If it can be about putting the stray trustworthy pieces of S.H.I.E.L.D. back together, fighting the remnants of HYDRA, putting the pieces back in place for Age of Ultron, I think it could get into more of a narrative groove. Because we know that S.H.I.E.L.D. will inevitably reemerge, probably by the end of Age of Ultron (Nick Fury's not going to show up in there to sit around with no resources and dispense occasional advice), AOS really should be the route to explore the fallout and set the pieces back up. That can give season two a real, clear narrative arc, an ongoing storytelling thrust, a purpose everyone is working toward, and that's something the show could benefit from enormously.

10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Also, Cobie Smulders needs something to do now that her regular gig ended.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I definitely can see Coulson's team being Fury's Secret Warriors. I do think Hill could still be in place. With SHIELD gone, stark is going to be the best place for info and tech. As a liaison, she can provide it without Marvel having to pay her the same money as Paltrow or Downey would cost.

But the big question for me is will Coulson think Fury is dead or alive? And will Fury find him or not? I could see him making one more cameo by the end. Otherwise, Hill makes more sense

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

I know they're probably saving the guy for the Agent Carter show, if it happens, but they should have Dum Dum Dugan join the cast of SHIELD. The show has been trying to gradually introduce and build up elements of a superheroic world that had already been built up over six movies. Two more have been released during the show's first season. They need to stop playing it safe and start showing us the crazy secret wars (lol) that SHIELD engages in against HYDRA and yellow-clad AIM goons. SHIELD employs people like Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine - why isn't Monica Bellucci already playing her?

I get the distinct impression from this show that they're trying to do something but they're no longer sure what it is. We keep seeing the tired cliche of "last scene with bad guy reveals he has powers and is the character we wanted to see." Origin stories are fine and all, it's just that they're not really a complete narrative. It's a beginning - we've had nearly a full season of slow build-up to...what?

The Kree body was a big reveal - except we've already seen aliens/gods/what have you in three other movies, and SHIELD are the folks that deal with these things, so why's it played for such shock value? The show has so much potential but it's stuck unsure of what it wants to be, I think. I really want to like this (yes, shocking, I know), and I really want it to live up to that potential. As it stands, though, it's looking like the Netflix shows are going to be the good ones - and I'm a little concerned about them.

13. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I saw this ep Monday on ABCGO *at 10 a.m. it was available, do not know if it was available earlier than that*. Mind officially broken, but likely not as broken as it will be when I see Winter Soldier tomorrow night. And as a Californian, I'm tickled that 'Lemurian' was used as anything.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently, Lemurians are an Atlantean off-shoot species in the MU. Even though Universal has the rights to Sub-mariner, it's an amusing nod.

It's only the first season- it's only natural that they'll be planting seeds for recurring villains/characters for subsequent seasons now. As I illustrated a few weeks ago, they've clearly been building up to Deathlok and the Clairvoyant all season, with the Coulson resurrection subplot running at different speeds while those other elements became established- and even then they've eventually managed to to tie that in with the main plot.

I think they knew exactly what kind of show they wanted from the beginning- it was just finding the right level on tonal execution and character writing that needed more balance. The show obviously started off with an older Bond-esque spy-genre mixed with the light adventure of The A-Team.

(TWS)
    and, now, in the wake of The Winter Solider, presumably lacking a support structure and being on their own, they literally are The A-Team. They even ride around in a cool black van/bus. ;)

And with SHIELD down, escapees from the Fridge become a higher possibility now (even if during transit to non-SHIELD facilities), so some of those villains they've been setting up are likely to pop up again next season. Everyone doesn't need to show up in the first season. Let's deal with the major immediate threat first and have those seeds for the big bads next year.

However, I do think there was a degree of water treading involved early on in order to align the show with the events from TWS.

While Coulson's subsequent reaction was too extreme (Skye leveled him off, though), it's still a shock because the shock isn't that it's just an alien SHIELD (or someone else) had, but rather that SHIELD (or someone else) was harvesting a drug from an alien cadaver (and an unknown one at that) and it has been injected into people.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Exactly. Coulson had suspected that something serious was being involved, but had no idea that it was that. His shock was due to feeling that it was wrong. It reminded him of what General Ross wanted to do to Bruce Banner, after he became the Hulk. Dissecting someone to find out what makes them tick, so that it can be used as a weapon. He really didn't think S.H.I.E.L.D. would go that far and that it was just the ravings of an angry father, not an entire organization that he trusted.

16. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    To be fair though... that facility wasn't SHIELD, Nick Fury went off the books to have that done to Coulson. It was less how far SHIELD would go and more how far would Nick Fury go.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Where does AOS go from here?

(TWS spoilers, possibly spoilers for tonight)
    Speaking with USA Today, executive producer Maurissa Tancharoen says the final six episodes of the season sees the game change with our agents now left to fend for themselves: "Survival is a huge part of it. There is no more tapping into big S.H.I.E.L.D. through the holo-comm. The guns you have on the plane are the guns you have. They're basically left with the bare minimum."

Executive producer Jed Whedon says that the characters found their identity as part of the "most massive organization ever created by man... Now they really are a ragtag bunch scraping things together." The series has also spent time building external threats like the Clairvoyant, Centipede, and Deathlok which will now connect back to HYDRA.

Clark Gregg says the change will also have a big impact on the character of Agent Coulson going forward. After all, he is: "a company man who finds out that everything he's dedicated his life to is not what he thought it was. To have everything dissolve around him to the point that S.H.I.E.L.D. itself is in smoking ruins (and have) that crisis of faith is such an amazing thing to explore."

Tancharoen adds: "Hopefully people who've had mixed feelings about the show will now understand it was all part of a big plan."

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I get what you mean about the build-up to Deathlok/Dethlok/Deathlocke/John Locke, but what I'm saying is that six movies did that build up and the movie that literally everyone watched had gods, aliens, and Thanos. I know Marvel likes to plant seeds, but they didn't need to do any of this this time around.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Has there been any mention of The Bus being stealth? In order for them to turn into the A-team they are gonna need that in this day and age. And unless that thing is made all special in some way like the X-men Blackbird it's gonna need parts. I think it'd be a nice subplot.

20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Apparently tonights episode was leaked early on Hulu, it's been taken down as of now but the spoilers for it are out there now.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They still need to plant seeds- supervillains, heroes and aliens aren't going to just pop out of the woodwork on Earth all of a sudden. We're still early in the Marvel universe, it still has to approximate the realworld in most respects- and anything dealing with SHIELD is going to be starting from a more grounded, less-fantastical perspective and building outwards.

I mean, look at it this way- not counting First Avenger, those 5 movies take place over the course of maybe 2-3 years. And those 2-3 years got us, like, 6 superheroes (two with no actual powers) and 5 villains (3 with no actual powers).

You can't suddenly accelerate that pace over the course of a few episodes and half a year's timespan.

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Huh? You can totally accelerate that pace. People watched the Avengers. People watched the other movies. This one doesn't need to carefully hold the audience's hand. They could jump right into things - "Skye, you joined our team right when things are kicking off globally. Have you ever heard of HYDRA?"

I mean, if they're going to pretend everyone's following the same roadmap, I would've gone whole hog with that angle.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, but
    they were choosing to keep things quiet on the HYDRA front by making it seem like the organization disbanded following the war. This was to make the revelations in TWS that much more shocking, which in turn keeps viewers in the dark about what was coming down the pike. This is the price you pay for a shared film and television universe.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also the show, like the individual film franchises, needs to be able to mostly standalone- at least at the start (we'll see tonight how they handle TWS events).

In other words, the show needed its own origin story and not treat The Avengers like its pilot gal though it is very obviously leveraging that).

Still, most shows do not come out of the gate with sense mythology but rather build up to it over the course of the season.

25. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    OH ****! I did not see that coming.

For some reason I can't use a spoiler tag so I've edited my post to be ridiculously vague.

Edit again: OMG OMG OMG!