main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ages of Certain Characters at the end of NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by EBrooklynW, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EBrooklynW

EBrooklynW Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    Hey, does anyone know about how old Han Solo, Garm Bel-Ibis, and Leia are at the end of NJO.

Also exactly how many years before the end of NJO did Palpatine rise to power?

Thank you!

~EBW

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'd have to say that it has been roughly 50-60 years since Palpatine rose to power at the end of the NJO. Fiftyish if you only count the time he started the empire, and 60 if you count the time as SC of the Republic.

As for ages, Leia is around 48 or 49 I believe, while Han is about 65. I don't know about Bel Iblis.

3. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Bel Iblis would be well into his eighties, if not nineties, by the end of the NJO, if he?s even still alive.

4. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    If it's known exactly how many years passed between the events of ANH and the final book in the NJO, just add that to their ages as of ANH: Han, 29; Leia (and Luke), 18. :)

5. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Actually, Luke and Leia were 19 during ANH based upon the date that EPIII is supposed to take place during (i.e. 19BBY), and Han was about 30 or a liitle older. This would put Luke and Leia at 49 by TUF, and han at about 60+. Mara is about the same age as Luke and Leia + or - two years.

6. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    The DFR sourcebook lists Garm Bel Iblis as 60+, and it took place 9 ABY, add 21 to that to make him 81+.

7. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Pellaeon is in the same neighborhood as Garm. (makes you wonder if they both went to the Raithal academy in the same class?)

How old were the major Vong characters?

8. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Actually, Luke and Leia were 19 during ANH based upon the date that EPIII is supposed to take place during (i.e. 19BBY), and Han was about 30 or a liitle older.

All the timelines (that I've seen) place Han being born 29BBY and Luke/Leia 18BBY. I suppose, though, that their's could change depending on EPISODE III's place on the timeline.

9. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    In TUF Nas Choka commented that under normal conditions, a healthy Yuuzhan Vong could live three times as long as a human.

In Force Heretic, it's implied that Nom Anor is about middle aged. If all this information is true, Nom could be 150 years old! :eek:

And Czulkang Lah was probably past his third century when Lusankya happened :p

10. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I think it said somewhere (in one of the FH novels) that pellaeon was over 100.

11. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    Pellaeon's age was listed as 70+ in the HTTE sourcebook, and he was described as having over 50 years service in the Navy, after enlisting at age 16. Add 21 years to that and he's a ripe old 91+.

12. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    One thing I've always thought when reading the NJO books is, "Man, Luke, Han, and Leia must be OLD." And they are! It's subtle, but in the NJO you see a lot less of Han and Leia running around, fighting hand-to-hand, jumping, etc, and Jaina, Jag, etc. are fulfilling those more action-oriented roles instead.

How long before Han and Leia (and Luke, though the Force probably allows him to kick butt longer than the non-Force users) hang up their blasters and head to the GFFA retirement home?

13. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ? All the timelines (that I've seen) place Han being born 29BBY and Luke/Leia 18BBY. I suppose, though, that their's could change depending on EPISODE III's place on the timeline.?

Officially, EPIII takes place 19 BBY according to the official site and on the timelines of all of the new books. There is a three year gap between the events in AotC and EPIII, and AotC took place in 22 BBY.

?How long before Han and Leia (and Luke, though the Force probably allows him to kick butt longer than the non-Force users) hang up their blasters and head to the GFFA retirement home??

From what TUF states, they are retired as of the end of the book. whether that is the actual case is up for debate, but that is their intention, and the whole purpose of the NJO in the first place.

14. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    In Star Wars, advanced health care has vastly extended the life expectancy of human beings. In TAB, Gariel Captison's grandmother is over 120 years old and is still in quite good health and she gets around easily.

Pellaeon joined the Republic navy at 16, in HttE, he has served in the Rep/Imp navy for 44 years, making him 60. Add 25 years, and the Grand Admiral is 85 by the time of TUF. His health is probably the equivalent of someone whom is about 50-60 years old on Earth. Just look at some of those photos of him on the Japanese FH book covers. He looks quite healthy for a typical 85 year-old to me. But do not be deceived, in SW humans live A LOT longer than they do on Earth, which shouldn't come as a surprise as they are over 50,000 years ahead of us technology-wise.

Luke and Leia, born 19 BBY, are both 49 years old. I would say this is just before middle-age for the SW universe.

As for Han, the NEGTC says he was 54 during VP, meaning he was 59 as of TUF, making him a middle-aged human in the SW galaxy.

I'm not sure about Bel Iblis, but I'm sure he is in perfectly good health.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Luke and Leia could be born 19 BBY, and still be 18 in ANH.

16. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    President Sharkey:
    Luke and Leia, born 19 BBY

They may still have been born 18 years BBY. Episode III may begin at 19 years BBY, but it's possible that the film may span six months to a year, and maybe they won't be born right at the beginning. It would be odd if after all these years of considering them 18 years old (or 20, depending on whether Lucas decided to make the twins Luke's age or Leia's age in ANH), Lucas goes with neither age.

If they are born 18 years BBY, Luke and Leia would be 47 or 48 at the end of TUF (Although it was supposed to span 5 years, the NJO really only seemed to cover about 4), and Han, who is 11 years older, would be 58 or 59.

However, I agree with you about lifespans being a lot longer in the GFFA. Even here on Earth, people in their 40's are in the prime of their lives and making their greatest contributions. In that GFFA, Luke and Leia are definitely *not* old and ready for retirement.

Besides, Luke didn't seem to be saying that he was planning on retiring anytime soon. He (and Leia, Han, Mara, and Ben) were just going on a vacation for the first time in a long, long time. Then he was planning to meet Kam on Ossus to do Jedi business, and he was planning to be on Cal Omas's Advisory Council. He was also planning to continue to "pass on" what he had learned as a Jedi.

Denning's post NJO trilogy is supposed to feature Luke, Han, and Leia, so I doubt that they are being put to pasture. I think the original idea *was* to pass the torch to the next generation, but I think Del Rey changed its mind when it discovered that the OT characters are still *extremely* popular. Personally, I really doubt that Jacen and Jaina could carry a series of books on their own. I think it's possible Del Rey may have come to that conclusion too.

17. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Actually, at least according to the RPG, humans in SW have about the same lifespan as we do here on Earth? Childhood is ages 1-11, Young-adulthood is 12-15, Adulthood is 16-40, Middle-age is 41-59, old-age is 60-79, and venerability is 80+. It also says that humans rarely live beyond 100 years old, which is also true here. Force users can expect to live possibly twice as long as a non-Force user of the same race, but that does not mean that they age more slowly, just that they can live longer.

As far as Jacen and Jaina not being able to carry their own series, they already proved that they could with the YJK books. They went on for almost as long as the NJO, so yes, they could very well carry the series on; eventually, they will have to.

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Officially, EPIII takes place 19 BBY according to the official site and on the timelines of all of the new books."

Specifically the last month of 19bby, 19.0 bby.

The last clone wars story that occurs before it, is "Boba Fett #5: A New Threat" occurs during 19.4 bby.

19. elements5

elements5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    Tramp, in the RPG book, it also has about the same lifespans for a Yuuzhan Vong. In UF it was said by Nas Choka that they actually live three times as long as humans. So either the RPG book is moot, or there are a lot of venerable people in the galaxy :)

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Anor was in our galaxy for at least 20yrs; this from NEGTC.

Airen Cracken was 75 as of TUF.

I'll take JoruusC'baoth's word regarding Bel Iblis's age, if that's really what the sourcebook says.

The Skywalker twins are still under 50. Luke is 34 in Shield of Lies. Solo comments in Remnant that he was a Yevethan captive 12yrs ago. That makes Luke around 47 in TUF. TUF does say the Sekot expedition lasted almost a year before they came back.

Organic technology had Vong lifespans three times average human spans, yes. Czulkang would have been over a hundred at least. Anor self-reflected in Remant he wasn't a young warrior anymore.

21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Tramp:
    Actually, at least according to the RPG, humans in SW have about the same lifespan as we do here on Earth? Childhood is ages 1-11, Young-adulthood is 12-15, Adulthood is 16-40, Middle-age is 41-59, old-age is 60-79, and venerability is 80+.

When RPG conflicts with films and books, I prefer to go with the more direct source, the films and books. In TAB, the human adult couple was specifically stated to be above 130, and it didn't seem that this was unusual. Count Dooku didn't seem feeble in his 90's, and Qui-gon in his 60's was very active.

Besides, it simply makes sense that in an galaxy with their advanced technology and medical advances that lifespans would be greater than our own.

And if Jedi can live to be twice the age of normal humans, then they must age a little more slowly too. Otherwise, they would be spending half of their lives (about 90 years!) in nursing homes. What would be the point?

As far as Jacen and Jaina not being able to carry their own series, they already proved that they could with the YJK books.

They carried a line of children's books. That's very different than carrying an adult line of books all by themselves.

They went on for almost as long as the NJO, so yes, they could very well carry the series on; eventually, they will have to.

They did *not* carry the NJO line on their own. I know many people who read the NJO because of Luke, Leia, Han, and Mara, *not* because of Jacen and Jaina. If Jacen and Jaina were the sole heroes of the adult books and Luke, Leia, Han, and Mara were totally out of the picture, I don't think the series would last very long. I don't think Jacen and Jaina are interesting enough or popular enough with all SW fans of all ages to carry SW books for very long alone. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there would be a huge dropoff in readership if the OT characters no longer appear in the post-NJO books, or only make cameos. I know that *I* will no longer read the books. I don't think I'm the only one who would stop reading either.

22. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Nom Anor referring to himself as a warrior was a bit odd, given that he was an indentant.

23. skywalker-singh

skywalker-singh Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2002
    i did not han was 11 years older then leia
    i presumed he was 25,26 and leiae/luke were 18 or 19 areound ANH

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> The last clone wars story that occurs before it, is "Boba Fett #5: A New Threat" occurs during 19.4 bby.<<

BF5 is at 31 months ABG, EP3 is, for now (until we have more accurate data), 36 months ABG.

BF#6 and, likely, Republic Commando will occur between BF5 and EP3- possibly even the "bridge novel".

25. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Hey, I was just mentioning what the starwars.com clone wars timeline says;

22.0 BBY 0.0 ABG Battle of Geonosis

19.4 BBY 2.6 ABG Boba Fett #5: A New Threat

19.0 BBY 3.0 ABG Star Wars: Episode III

Unless you couldn't tell, I was referring to the last listed clone wars story, rather than stating it was the last story that can occur in that time period... No reason to take things too literally...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.