Agree or disagree?

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by solo414, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    "I?ve heard the ?Star Wars? people boast about shooting frames that are 97 percent digital, and lo and behold, the new movies are soulless," says John Gaeta, visual-effects supervisor for all three "Matrix" movies. "They traded the whole idea of depth in filmmaking for this supertechnological hype. It helped us focus our own philosophy: The story drives EVERYTHING."

I don't think I'd go so far as to say "soulless", but I think he's right on the money about the rest of it. It's a script that makes most movies. It was the STORY that made Epidodes 4-6 so great. WHAT DO YOU THINK? (It's time for some intelectual descusion, people!!)
  2. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ahh yes the great debate. First off all he has his argument backwards. He says that the films are 97 digital and soulless. What he meant to say is that he believes they have a crappy story which makes it soulless and it happens to be digital otherwise his argument makes no sense.

I want to point out that I am not a film-maker. I am a film watcher and more importantly a movie watcher. There is a distinct and complete difference which I won't get into however, when it comes down to it. I am a fan of movies for one reason which is the story. I love stories of all kinds from the great epics to the simple stories to the stories in games. I love a great story. So you're asking where am I going with this. I'll tell you.

I am not interested in what it takes for someone to tell me the story. It doesn't have to be rich in costumes and beautiful to look at as long as you tell me the story well. Some of my favorite stories told in movies are animated. Some of the movies which I were told were beautiful examples of film making rich in detail were the crappiest stories I'd ever heard (read: Titanic, The Cell, Far and Away). What it comes down to is who made the movie..was it an art director or a story teller. While everyone who claims to love movies tends to hate Spielberg, he tells some of the best stories film has ever seen.

I have no problem with digital animation. Those who say that it isn't an art form have no idea what they're talking about. More art and more detail and more care goes into its production from more people than most folks can imagine. It cannot be soulless and hollow when so much care has been given to it. "Filmmakers" call it soulless because they tend to be a snotty lot who a lot of the time can't get over themselves to get to what they really should be which are storytellers.

Movies (and boooks) have become the "Keeper of the Flame" the way we pass on our stories from one generation to the next. Technology changes and so does how we tell our stories.

So I disagree, I don't think soul has anything to do with the technology used to tell the story (because that's what he's implying). A story is like art. Having someone explain to you why you like it isn't going to make you like it any more. And someone explaining to you why you shouldn't like it should have even less influence.

M
  3. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree with Marcy on this one. I've always felt the story is the most important as well, all special effects aside (although I do love cool costumes! ;) ).

"Soulless" is really the wrong word. This guy was essentially ripping on George through the back door, using the effects as the excuse, when in actuality, the effects were some of the best things about the last two films. The major problems with George's most recent creations really stem from bad script, unnecessary characters/scenes, and poor casting (ala Natalie Portman).

I definitely think these films have soul, especially in the effects, but they do have problems elsewhere.
  4. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    I find it amusing that the people making the Matrix films (with just as much mindless and unnecessary violence as any movie I've ever seen) can, with a straight face, call any other movie "souless". What I'm seeing by these comments is someone trying to justify their SFX Oscars that the won over ILM. To stand on ILM's shoulders, accept those awards, and then to call it's work souless is class. [face_plain] I thought the Matrix was interesting and an Ok film. I'll probably see and enjoy it's sequels. 30 years from now, outside of obscure "What was the first DVD to sell over a million copies?" trivial pursuit questions, no one is going to remember or care about the Matrix. Star Wars' soul lies outside of the movies in the fans' hearts and minds...and it resides there because the films are made to be enjoyed by all, particularly children. While I'm sure someone out there could make a complex, introspective rated G children's film, most aren't what I call "deep"...at the same time it doesn't mean it's shallow either.

If it's entertaining and it inspires the imagination, then it can't be souless.
  5. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I find the entire prequel trilogy to be wholly uninspiring and merely entertaining. I feel the same way about The Matrix, except that it is also depressing.
  6. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    These days what makes a movie exciting to me are the new effects because since I'm in the computer graphics industry, everything new out there is very exciting for me.

What makes a movie good to me is the storyline. Bar none.
  7. Outlander_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree with him to some extent...the story above all else, with characters you care about coming in a close second. If the technology is out there and can make the filmmaking job easier or look better...so be it. I don't think anybody said "hey we got this cool new digital camera, lets make another Star Wars movie now." It was merely a tool.
  8. Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 3
    i was talking with a friend about this. the reason so many people like the origenal star wars is because it's almost a b rated movie at least in the methods and the look. the story had to drive it or it would have died. the new movies, yes i will agree that lucas has sacrifiesed some of his story for look and the appeal to the new audiance but i think there is still a story that drives the movie. you just have to strip away the bad lines and technology and you see there is still something good inside.
  9. Jedi_Bane Jedi Master

star 1
    In that quote John Gaeta was not saying that the effects were souless, or that they had anything to do with making the movie souless. He was attemping to say that because they focused so much on using the latest technology and effects that the story was not at the forefront of importance, and so it suffered. Of course the story is the most important part of a movie, there has never been a big hit movie that the story sucked.
  10. Master_Y-wing Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.