main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "Agree with you the Council does"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Oberst Hans Landa, Feb 17, 2014.

1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Anakin's "insane arrogance"?:confused:

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin wasn't insanely arrogant? [face_laugh] He said several times in AOTC that he thought he was better than everyone else.

3. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Yeah, one day I will be the most powerful Jedi ever qualifies as arrogance in my book. :p

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Probably already answered, but Yoda never said the Council won't let Kenobi train him. The Council (by the majority) had already decided to train him, but Yoda was voicing his opinion to Obi-Wan in order to try to change his mind.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  5. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    Yes, it was already answered. Thank you, nonetheless. I still think Yoda should have made everyone see how dangerous it was to let Anakin become a Jedi. I know the majority decided he would be trained by Obi Wan, but they should have really listened to Yoda.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

"I will be the most powerful Jedi ever."

[​IMG]

"Nope."

That's arrogance.

7. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Council felt that way when Anakin was introduced to them. However, that changed after they heard about his feats during the battle of Naboo and Qui-Gon's last request after his demise.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Lets not forget....

"I'M TAKING HIM NOW"

[​IMG]

Poor Anakin :oops:

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

It's interesting how you left out Anakin's defeat of Dooku . . . or Obi-Wan's own arrogant assumption that he and Anakin would defeat Dooku in ROTS.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You totally miss the point I was going for. In AOTC, Anakin thought he was ahead of Obi-wan and kept boasting about that. Then reality comes crashing down when Dooku beats him in battle. That is the arrogance that is being talked about. I didn't mention ROTS, because it isn't germane to the point I was making.

12. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

That just made him arrogant. He wasn't the only one guilty of arrogance. Most of the major characters projected arrogance in one form or the other in the trilogy.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Do you have a better argument for why Anakin isn't arrogant than "hey look over there!"

Because that one isn't working.

Some other Star Wars character could be the most arrogant ******* alive, and it wouldn't make Anakin less arrogant.

And if people choose to talk about Anakin being arrogant instead of whoever you want to point to when you say "Hey look over there!"...it doesn't matter. Anakin is still arrogant.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    ITT there is contention over whether Anakin is insanely arrogant.

What an insane contention.

15. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

You really need a pair of glasses. I NEVER said that Anakin wasn't arrogant. I said that he wasn't the only one guilty of arrogance in the trilogy. Good grief!!

16. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    In AOTC, Yoda, Kenobi, and Windu discuss this very subject, Anakin's arrogance, and the fact that he's not the only one.

Kenobi: "His abilities have made him, well, arrogant."
    Yoda: "Yes...a flaw more and more common among Padawans. Hmmm. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones."

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have several pairs of glasses. Just not any that can distort the "hey look over there!" argument into anything but a "hey look over there!" argument. That would require those cool kaleidoscope glasses I had as a kid, the ones that moved all those color specks into neat patterns when you turned them.

And the contention that the "hey look over there!" argument is not being used to minimize Anakin's arrogance since hey, other people were arrogant so he can be arrogant too or something, is hilarious.

Maybe we should try that one in schools. "It's fine to be a jerk, Johnny. There are other people who are jerks; your being a jerk won't matter."

Again--got a better argument? Because that one isn't working.

Valairy Scot and CT-867-5309 like this.
  18. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

That's not really a good example, because he was better than Obi-Wan against Dooku.

Anakin's arrogance comes from thinking he's better than everybody in everything in every situation. It happens to be true most of the time, but not all of the time. He is the Chosen One and he has power greater than any other Jedi alive, but it takes more than that to be a great Jedi.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    On top of thinking it, he says it. A lot. And he's totally serious about it. That's a big no-no, for me.

Thinking he can stop death is probably the most glaring example.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The worst thing Anakin did in the name of arrogance was disobeying his master when confronting Dooku. After foolishly getting himself subdued, he left his master to fight alone against Dooku. He only somewhat redeemed himself when he jumped back in to save him, but the point is that it all could have been avoided if Anakin actually put Obi-Wan's judgement above his own.

Despite Anakin's power, Obi-Wan's patience was the one thing he never learned, and that ultimately cost him the duel at Mustafar.

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    There are so many things that this scene tells you about the Jedi of this time. Disregard for the future, and a dismissive outlook of how they do things are just a couple.

Darth Maul Apprentice likes this.
  22. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Quite the opposite.