main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ah, Whole Foods shoppers...

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Sep 17, 2013.

1. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    We prefer farmers markets and local co-ops, but shopping at WF has become a matter of convenience for us. A bad habit we're trying to break. Thankfully, the people that work at ours are genuinely helpful and they occasionally carry specific items that we can't locate elsewhere.

Protip: If you've ever eaten in the deli and like the food, there are many copycat recipes online that are as just good, or better, than theirs.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  2. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I live in the butt of Texas so we don't have WF here. But it's just as well, because if you really want your locally-grown produce and eggs, there are tons of farms just a short drive away.

3. Krusty the Clone

Krusty the Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2013
    They got good cheese. And decent beer selection

4. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    There's no WF near me. I can buy Bob's Redmill Gluten Free stuff at BigLots, anyways.

5. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Your deadpan cynicism is my favorite part about the JC.

Whole Foods has superior quality produce to Walmart. I usually buy fresh vegetables and fruits from Sprouts. Walmart, in addition to not being any cheaper, tends to have poorer tasting and unripe produce.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Wal-Mart and Whole Foods have one major thing in common: they're both extremely anti-union. [face_dancing]

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Easily the best best option - quality produce without the high prices or pretentiousness. We usually find that price-wise, a bog-standard farmers market is slightly cheaper than a supermarket, or the same at worst, but the quality is well worth the effort, particularly with meat.
    Any bacon fans in Sydney, Australia - Google 'Trunkeys pork' and get yourself to one of the markets. I recommend the honey & port wine smoked bacon. You won't be able to go back to the supermarket stuff.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I only eat meat a couple of times a week but when I do eat it, there are a couple of local farmers that I like to buy it from. The ground beef and breakfast sausage are priced the same as in supermarkets but they come from animals that haven't been kept in a tiny pen in three feet of their own poop.

Whole Foods offers that but for ten dollars a pound. No thanks.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    For last minute convenience shopping we can walk to our WF, but we are generally co-op members and regulars at the immeasurably herbivore-friendly Essene Market.

10. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I shop mainly at Giant and WF. I feel as though you can find bargains at WF if you really look for them. I keep track of their sale days on meat (usually Fridays) and stock up then. Their produce is superior than my local Giant.