main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aha, I knew it, so Lucas DIDN'T tell them to kill Anakin Solo...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "No, George did not tell us to kill Anakin. He didn't tell us to kill anybody. He approved the deaths of characters, in theory, then told us who we COULDN'T kill (i.e., Luke). The creative group decided the main story plotpoints (i.e., the deaths) and the author(s) created the action and situations."
    -Sue Rostoni, VIP thread starwars.com

Oh, how much their story has changed, while they were always trying to put the blame on someone else... but now they finally decided to fess up, that it was their idea, not Lucas' idea.

2. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    Word.

Glad to hear that.

::loves GL a little more now::

::continues sending hateful mail to Troy Denning and the rest of Del Ray::

3. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    WHAT THE FRAG!!!!!!!!! [face_plain] so anakin did not have to die,he had so much potential and still did it. :mad:

don't blame troy denning he only writes the sence they made the decision to kill him not denning.

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Not really that big a surprise.

5. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    I don't blame Troy Denning. I don't have enough info to know who exactly to blame. But he still contributed.

Though he did write a spectacular finale for the young Jedi.

If he had to go, I guess that's the way I would want it.

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    This just leaves us with two alternate stories. How do we know this one is true and the other story is not.

Two different people as I recall mentioned that Lucas said to kill Anakin, and Sue Rostoni says otherwise now. Why should we consider this to be reliable?

Maybe Lucas just asked Del Rey to take the hit for him.

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually Sue Rostoni was the one that gave the two different stories each time, IIRC.

Then there was Shelly Shapiro, who claimed she made up the story and reason given in the round robin interview, speculating off of what Rostoni said, she didn't really know what actually happened.

Plus Leland Chee on the VIP threads said something to the effect that Lucas involvement for most things only goes as far a small synopses(he may write notes on the margins) or questionnaire.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    <<::continues sending hateful mail to Troy Denning and the rest of Del Ray::>>

Because Denning does, of course, deserve it. He said "Please, oh please, let me kill Anakin Solo! I hate him ever so much! Besides, I wanna piss off this person on TFN's forums named Gaeri..."

9. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    "Creative group"?!?!??!?!?! That's what they called???? I would have given another name...
    :mad:

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    That's why I stopped asking questions on the TOS's VIP board. It was those kind of responses that weren't answers I usually received. Ultimately, not worth bothering.

11. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Nobody, at any time, has ever siad that GL told anyone to kill Anakin Solo. He told them that Anakin could not be the hero, but that is all.

12. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    They all sound like my kids. "He did it, Not me" "I didn't do it" "It wasn't my fault" "We don't know how it happened"

Where is that rolleyes icon?

13. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Thanks for the thread, Val - at LAST, some solid data.

14. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    THANK YOU!!

THANK YOU!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

I tried to explain this to people in the other threads that were so dedicated to blaming GL. It's awesome to actually get confirmation of this.

:D

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Hello, friends.

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Or in other words... "Not me!" made the decision.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

17. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    It's simple (and has been said before):

Original plan was to kill Jacen and have Anakin be the hero. GL nixed the plan for Anakin being the hero, but that was all he said. The editors decided the easiest thing to do would be to just reverse the roles of the two brothers.

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    This contradicts what we had last week. DR said the directive came from Lucas. Now this changes that statement.

You know, feedback or proper evaluation is hard to deliver with just a few sentences.

And that's all it is, really: a few sentences of a larger picture.

19. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    really?! wow...well...for what it's worth...i'd hoped they had done in jaina or jacen instead of the cool solo kid. well, at least GL is backing up luke....somebody has to in the NJO.

20. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    George didn't tell us to kill Anakin: no, he told them to swap Anakin and Jacen's plotlines...

There are two immediately obvious possibilities here:

either: George told them not to kill Jacen, which forced them to swap the Solo brothers round at some point... an abrupt switch at the stage of Star by Star which should have ended with Anakin captured and Jacen dead? Or a longer-term plan, necessitating the character-swapping which made Jacen the thinker and Anakin the action hero?

or: George told them that Anakin, not Jacen, was the Son of the Son of the Son of the Suns, and that if either kid had to die and be reborn (which is different from being killed) it was Anakin...

Now in all probability, this was an editorial decision that fell between stools and approximates most closely to the first option... but at the same time, it's gnawing at me that it's been flagged since Dark Empire that Anakin was the really important one...

Talk amongst yourselves...

- The Imperial Ewok

21. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I hate to break it, but unless there's something incestual going on, Anakin is only the Son of the Daughter of the Son of the Suns. Which unfortunately doesn't have quite the same ring.

-Paul

22. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    no, he told them to swap Anakin and Jacen's plotlines...

Wrong. GL said Anakin can't be the hero. That is all he said! He didn't mention anything about Jacen, or about killing either one. All he said was "Anakin can not be the hero."

23. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Thrawn McEwok wrote:

George didn't tell us to kill Anakin: no, he told them to swap Anakin and Jacen's plotlines...

No, he didn't. He simply told them Anakin couldn't be the hero. DR made the choice to simply switch the characters around.

24. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    That actually makes me kind of mad that the DelRay editors couldn't own up and take some freaking responsibility. [face_plain]

25. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Lucas said "Anakin who??? No no, I killed him off in Episode VI"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.