main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aha, I knew it, so Lucas DIDN'T tell them to kill Anakin Solo...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Also, they all died in the presence of Luke Skywalker. So now we have male Force users who die in the same room as Luke Skywalker.

A sample of three is not evidence, let alone a preponderance.

OK, that's not true. lots of people have done it outside of Luke's presence, and it's been a lot more than three. you should go read TOTJ.

2. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    It's been a while since I read it, but I don't recall any ghosts in the TOTJ series.

I vaguely recall Nomi Sunrider's husband (Andur?) pulling the disappearing act.

3. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Andur didn't disappear when he died, but he did appear as a ghost to his wife immediately after his death in order to beseech her to take up his lightsaber to defend hereslf and their daughter, then tell her to find Master Thon. Arca Jeth also appeared to Ulic in TotJ: Redemption

4. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Still all male though. ;)

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Umm, that Twilek in Darktide Duology was female and she faded right?

6. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Daesha'cor? yep, female and faded.

7. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    No ghost for Daeshara Cor.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Vila who was female reunited with her brother Denin in the force when she died, and both met up with Yoda, :).

9. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I was just trying to make the point that we can't say for sure what allows "ghosting". All sentients are luminous beings. How can we rule out non-Force users without much information.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "All sentients are luminous beings."

Yoda says that about all life doesn't he?

"How can we rule out non-Force users without much information."

Oh, I agree. Besides I seem to remember some obscure WEG stories that included non-force users spirits. Then there was the Ssi-Ruuk who were capable of enteching living creatures spirits for their own uses. These spirits could still feel and sense things around them, as far as I remember. It had something to do with the fact that all living creatures have some kind of connection to the force however small(kind of makes sense when we think of midichlorians, IMO).

However, I'm not sure if they are capable of projecting themselves to the physical, but rather certain trauma, or other factors keeps them around in the world of the living...

Apparently on Endor all ewoks who die stay connected to their individual tree, and can be called back by relatives for advice according to the ewoks toon.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
  12. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Yoda says that about all life doesn't he?

Yes. And sentient beings are forms of life aren't they? :)

13. GS335

GS335 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2001
    Regardless if Lucas didn't tell him to kill Anakin, I think the whole thing was stupid. Its one thing to kill off a major character, but one who has a lot of storyline potential, and who's story hasn't really began is dumb, IMO.

I also think its dumb to kill Anakin off, just to make Jacen the hero. Why can't they both be heros, and both lead the Jedi in the future, along with their sister? Jacen definately could've been the Yoda type, while Anakin would be a combination of Mace Windu, Obi Wan Kenobi (ep. II and III), and Qui Gon Jinn. Both would have different roles, but both would lead the Jedi, along with Jaina.

The Solo kids are suppose to be the future, adn IMO, killing any one of the three was a big mistake.

I know that Luke is a favorite, but IMO, Luke is older, and is not apart of the future. Killing Luke would've had a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH greater impact than killing Anakin Solo, because of the fact that Luke has been an instrumental part of the Jedi for so long, and his death would've definately forced the three Solo kids to grow up, and become better leaders.

I know that Lucas likes Luke, but the character can't stay around, forever. I think that he has to leave sometime, and IMO, a heroic death would've been perfect. Luke dying definately would've shown much more, that Jedi are not invinsible, and would've forced the others to make more of a stance against the Vong. Luke's death definately would've paved the way for the three Solo kids to become leaders. I think they all should've had equal roles in the Jedi Order, and not have one above the other. Luke dying for what he believes in, and doing it in a true heroic fashion would've been awesome, IMO. Luke has accomplished MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more in his life than the three Solo kids have, combined, and him going out in a blaze of glory would've been shocking, yet great fort he story. It would've forced everyone to make a stance, and again, force the Solo kids to get passed whatever grudge they have between them, and become better leaders for the future. Thats one of the main reasons I think that killing Anakin was a major mistake on the part of the writers.

On top of that, I think that having Anakin Solo as one of the heroes definately would've brought honor back to the name 'Anakin,' which is something that Solo's evil grandfather tarnished many years ago when he went darkside and screwed up the galaxy so much. I think that Anakin Solo was a much better person, and a better man than his grandfather (Anakin Skywalker) ever was, and him being one of the heroes would've definately brought dignity back to that name. Not to mention, young Solo wouldn't have to live under the thought that his name was a curse no longer, because he would've done something that his grandfather never did, which was to be a true hero, and a true Jedi in ever sense.

I know that some may disagree, but I just feel that killing one of the Solo kids, especially Anakin, was a huge mistake. The guy had such great storyline potential, especially the prophecy of his possible future, and I just feel all of that was wasted.

14. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    You do make some valid points, however, it was Anakin?s name that was the very reason why he could not be the hero. Lucas made it very clear that he did not want fans to be confused by two different Anakins. I have read other posts on other boards where a few fans have become confused by there being two Anakins. by eliminating Anakin Solo, this made sure that only Anakin Skywalker would be spotlighted.

15. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Oh, come ON. It takes all of 5 seconds to clear that up.

5 FRIGGIN' SECONDS! IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK??? JESUS H. FRIGGIN' CHRIST!

16. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    I agree, However, Lucas didn?t, and wanted to make sure that no confusion could occur. I don?t necessarily completely agree with it, but those were his reasons, and they do have some validity.

17. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    Lucas has said nothing about it. Read the first post of this thread.

18. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    You do make some valid points, however, it was Anakin?s name that was the very reason why he could not be the hero. Lucas made it very clear that he did not want fans to be confused by two different Anakins. I have read other posts on other boards where a few fans have become confused by there being two Anakins. by eliminating Anakin Solo, this made sure that only Anakin Skywalker would be spotlighted.

First off, anyone reading the NJO would have figured it out, assuming they did not already know which was more likely.

Secondly, I would think name recognition for Anakin would help it sell better.

19. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Lucas has said nothing about it. Read the first post of this thread.

George Lucas made it very clear that he did not want Anakin Solo as the hero of the NJO to prevent confusion among fans with Anakin Skywalker. This is clearly stated on the CD that comes with TUF. The implication was there to kill him off instead of Jacen, even if he never actually stated this. As I said eaerlier, I have seen some fans who have been confused by there being two Anakins; mostly casual fans, and others not as familiar with the EU. With the Prequels being focused upon the story of Anakin Skywalker; having another story spotlighting Anakin Solo going on at the same time, could too easily confused too many fans; thus it was better, in LFL?s and Del Rey?s views, to kill the younger Anakin off. Regarless of whether I or other die-hard fans agree with this or not, those are LFL?s reasons for doing so.

20. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    Then they need new management. As I've said, George doesn't know what the hell he's doing anymore. He needs to let someone else take over.

21. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    George Lucas made it very clear...

Let's not put words in anyones mouth. In all honesty, we don't know what really happened, and never will, because the reps of Del Rey (and GL for that matter) are constantly changing their stories.

The original plan was for nine movies. No, twelve movies. No, nine movies. No, six movies. No, nine movies. No, six movies....

Kill Anakin instead, make Jacen the hero, kill Anakin, make someone else the hero, ...

It's pointless to argue what GL has said based on the everchanging testimony of first-and and second-hand witnesses.

22. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Tha?s your opinion, and you are welcome to it, but Lucas, LFL, and Del-REy did have valid concerns, one being that Lucas did not want the spotlight taken away from Anakin Skywalker. You and I may not like it, I too would have liked to have seen Anakin Solo live; but I do understand their reasons for not wanting him as the hero, and for killing him off. I may not 100% agree withit, but I can understand and accept it as being a valid concern.

23. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    It's not valid.

They're all stoners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.