main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ahalik Gorena- a JA fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Hiroko01, Feb 15, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiroko01

Hiroko01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1998
    <If for some freakish reason you guys have the CD "James Galway and the Chieftains In Ireland, the song Bakada sings is #7 on it, I think. It's called the Red Admiral Butterfly.>

?Right. Ahem. Obi-Wan, have you transferred a memory before??

?It?s been a while, but yes.?

In theory, the process was a simple one: join to the person who had seen the event, and watch as the they played their memory back. Too bad that ?simple? did not mean ?easy.? The human mind did not work in chronological order? to call back an entire memory and to play it through in proper sequence was a demanding task, and Bakada?s presence wouldn?t help things. The observer sometimes got in the way, and it was not comfortable to go through the closets in your mind while a near-complete stranger watched on.

?All right. Sit down and give me your hands.? He eased to the floor and situated himself pretzel-legged. Right foot tucking politely under the left, Bakada knelt to face him. His hands were lain ready, palms-up, in his lap; she flattened hers over them.

Suppressing a frown, she looked down at her hands. They always seemed capable enough on their own, but they were dwarfed by those of every man she?d ever met. Even with their hard life?s memory of scarred backs and callused palms, they looked pale, delicate-boned, and fragile against his. Obi-Wan?s hands were rough and patchworked with scars, some old and faded into thin whitish lines and other pink and healing still, darker-skinned and so big.

Scooting forward to find a comfortable distance, she finally got her first real sniff of him.

On most planets it seemed like a person?s scent was only thought of as an esoteric side note to them, only talked about if it was objectionable. That wasn?t right to her. Everyone had a scent, almost as distinct as their face; that was just the way it was. The only thing she could tell right now through the lingering antiseptic was that he smelled like a human, and very clean.

?You ready?? As he nodded, his eyes lowered to half-mast and shut. Obi-Wan washed his mind blank and started to run backwards, carefully shying away from thought.

One must exist in the past in order to see it. Thought was of the present? the state of memory and thought could not exist together.

Bakada put her physical senses away and ?flattened into the Force?? enfolding herself in the trance, the altered state of consciousness that came with the altered senses, and came to meditate. It was like falling asleep in that way, like the turning inward of the consciousness because the senses had turned in for the night and there was nowhere else to go? except that there was another sense that took over, and she turned out.

The Force was like music in this state. It was exactly like music. Billions of little voices hummed and skirled around in their plane of music, but never discorded with each other. It was meaning without words? it was everything, held together by the Law and the one law only. Bless her mother?s womb that bare her, it was beautiful.

There was a little line of melody here that belonged with the pulsing in the veins of the hands she touched. She listened and singled it out? and then picked up the music herself, mimicking it, humming along in her mind, trying to join her line to his.

It didn?t happen. He kept switching on her? as soon as she started to get his line down, he?d hop to a different note than he should have and Bakada was left on the wrong one. It was impossible to join to that.

Shaking her head, Bakada came to. ?Wake up, Obi-Wan.? She slapped his palms. ?You?ve left your shields up.? He blinked at her, confused.

?No, I thought I?d...?

?You?ve gotten so used to them that you can?t take them down.? She rubbed the back of her neck and gave him a tired look. ?Hard defenses are a good thing to have, Obi-Wan. But strength demands flexibility.?

He sat there in his block of sunlight with his arms folded for a second, the light making a fuzzy tan halo out of the short hair around his head. ?S

2. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    What're you people, dead? What do you think, I must know!

3. Jaro

Jaro Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 1999
    Excellent! I love your descriptions, they're very good.

P.S. Have you ever read Archangel by Sharon Shinn? I think you'd enjoy it.

4. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    Get used to disappointment.

Okay, sorry, couldn't resist.

I like a lot of this, especially the music analogy. I LOVE music.

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Hi Hiroko, I liked it a lot and I read it last night but they deleted my name so I couldn't tell you how much I liked it.
    grumble grumble

I think I have to agree with ping, some times you get no replies at all ....which is incredably true for sounds of silence.

See ya
    Kit'

6. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Third page? Harrumph. I was about to put another post on here but it sucked... I'll revise it some more and just bring this puppy up for now.

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    No Hiroko. You are forbidden you must post now!!!!!!!!!! Congtratrs on the second page.

8. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    An evil short-short until I get the rest finished.

Qui-Gon?s memory? he?d given it to her the night before, after Obi-Wan slept? had been analytical, full of mental notes on the patterns and quirks of that thing?s style. His sense was centered throughout the ordeal on purpose like a block of cold granite. Obi-Wan... now he was very different. He hadn?t panicked, at least? but he?d come close.

And that was cause for thought.

[This message has been edited by Hiroko01 (edited 11-02-1999).]

9. Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 1999
    Interesting. Very interesting

Do you mind if I ask where Anakin is in this story? I'm just wondering...I certainly don't want the little twerp to show up or anything Did Maul kill him with his Sith Speeder?

10. Wryin Shanraa

Wryin Shanraa Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 1999
    Yeah, you should have Maul run the little pest through. It's not as if Qui needs another apprentice.

11. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Anakin... now there's a very good question. If you've noticed that I haven't written much about him, it's because I really don't put a whole lot of thought in the little bugger's direction.

Well, let's see what I can make up really quick. Amidala saw to it when Bakada and Akretiry left Naboo that Anakin go with them. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were out for a while so he got passed off to anyone who was willing to take him in, which was Akretiry and Bakada. 'Cause Bakada likes little kids and Akretiry could use some practice with 'em. Yeah, that's it.

I like the getting run-over by the Sithcycle though.

Odd question... is anybody getting a mental picture of Bakada, because I have no clue what she ought to look like other than long hair and a dark blue bandanna scarf over it.

12. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Hey Hiroko, e-mail me?????

I have a clear idea/piucture of Bakada I tell you later though. I'll send it to you. I like itn so far.....see ya
    Kit'

13. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Qui-Gon and Akretiry were sitting across from each other in a booth hidden around the corner. Obi-Wan heard the woman?s voice give a throaty laugh at something. As he and Bakada rounded the corner, Akretiry was apparently on the tail end of breakfast and both Masters were watching them with innocent expressions.

The newcomers slid in alongside ?their? Masters. Bakada snuggled in close to Akretiry and put her head on her shoulder, and Akretiry turned her head a little and said something softly in their native language.

?Dha bonder fra veyja lom?? Did you dig up anything useful? She meant the memory.

Bakada picked up her head a little to answer. ?Sla ned, sla ned,? she answered noncommitally. Yeah, sure.

?Dha onsket?? Akretiry pressed, one eyebrow up at her nonchalant tone. What?s *that* supposed to mean?

?Weile waylthe, Akretiry. Sidhe lo lyoroa rhainan fjuntagh ney lesja conchaiggh,? was the slightly irritated or reproachful-sounding reply. For heaven?s sake, Akretiry. If you want to say something over their heads, just use telepathy. "Pardon my colleague?s uncouth ways,? Bakada apologized to the Basic-speakers. ?She?s getting a little senile in her old age. It makes it hard for her to adjust back to civilization.?

?Sloe bonbagh,? Akretiry muttered, shaking her head. Cranky. ?Well then,? she said as if repeating what she?d said earlier in Basic. ?Qui-Gon tells me the Senate Jedi Oversight Committee wants to talk to you three.?

?This isn?t any of the Republic?s business,? Obi-Wan murmured, shaking his head.

Qui-Gon seemed unconcerned. ?It?s only a formality.?

?Wouldn?t that Committee be chaired by the Chancellor?? Bakada ventured. ?Executive powers and all...?

?I think so. It?s not like he?s got anything useful to do than meddle with us,? Obi-Wan said sarcastically. Historically, the role of Chancellor had always been a figurehead one. Especially now, with the Republic straitjacketed in bureaucracy the way it had become, there was almost nothing the Chancellor could really do anymore. It was a dead office, second only to Vice-Chancellor in absence of meaning. Although Palpatine seemed to be looking to change that....

?Silly democracies,? Bakada said, flicking a hand and rolling her eyes. ?The constituency always gets in the way.?

?You can think of a better way?? Obi-Wan asked, an amused and ever-so-slightly superior tone in his voice. ?Wasn?t there just a war there over some clan feud? Hundreds of people died and there was no central government that was able to put an end to it."

?Wasn?t there just a hostile takeover of Naboo over some tax disagreement? Millions of people died and the central government failed completely to get its culhagh in gear to stop it.?

Ponderous silence settled over the table.

I told you you think too much, Akretiry told her, a wink in her tone.

Hardy har. Out loud, Bakada said, ?Forgive me, I think I spoke out of turn.?

Turning to Kenobi, Qui-Gon stopped her. ?She has got a point, Padawan.? He looked back to Bakada and they way he spoke sounded as if he were probing in the Mediator?s way into the heart of some matter vital to resolving a dispute. Very Jedi-like. ?How exactly does this clan system work??

Suddenly very and admiring of and thankful to Qui-Gon for the escape route, Bakada tried to find a way to say it all in Basic? the conflicts between family and land were a complicated matter. Many a tale of woe sprang from that well.

?Each clan controls one or several city-states and the land and resources around it, or is allied with one that does. The Caerne all run under separate governments? and if the people don?t like the way they run things, they move their allegiances and households to one that will treat them better. If the Caer is so shoddily run that all the people leave? which has happened before? the controlling clan dies a slow and agonized financial death. Most of the time the Caerne really do get along, but sometimes there are troubles.? Sensing that she?d failed miserably in trying to get it all across, she gave up and s

14. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Never mind. Move along, move along.

[This message has been edited by Hiroko01 (edited 11-07-1999).]

15. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Hi Hiroko,

Guess what you had to compete with the tv show Sliders and you won. that's pretty tough for me. Keep going.

See ya
    Kit'

16. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Wow, Kit'! I'm flattered.

I'd write tonight but I'm going to be camping instead, so I'm just giving it a nudge up before I go.

17. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Beeeppppp!!!! I've had way too much sugar. All my friends nod But I just wanted to let you know that this rocks. Hmmmm, should go calm down.

See ya
    Kit'

18. Master Peael

Master Peael Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 1999
    wow... it's been a while since I read this one... and WOW... it's turning out really great!

19. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    I realized on the ride to camp that the last post I made added absolutely nothing to the story, so I deleted it and will be cannibalizing chunks of it for other posts. To everyone who saw it and recognizes them- whoops, sorry. redface.gif

Thanks to Lwyn'nya and Tyhei for being supportive and holding my hand through a lot of this. Lwyn', this morning of Bakada's is for you.

Bakada curled herself up tighter in the sheets, rolled over, and refused to admit that the morning had arrived.

She hadn?t slept well because she was cold, and she was cold because her hair was still wet from the shower she?d taken after finishing the translation for the Mornay glaivework treatise and before going to
    bed. It had been that short a time ago.

Her body and her conscience had reached a stalemate. Studying the the white sheets piled in front of her eyes, blinking sleepily, she mused upon how she wouldn?t be too tired today? the effects of sleep deprivation only showed up in full force the day after. Somehow that realization made the thought of waking up more manageable.

Kenobi checked out and was chomping at the bit to go. Padawans... After breakfast as they started up towards the practice hall (and another beating), Bakada started getting her muscles ready to work again. C?mon, girls, wake up... OW...

?Oooh, pain...? she murmured when she got to her shoulders.

?You look like you?re good friends with it by now,? Obi-Wan offered.

?Wha???

?That latticework of lightsaber near-misses on your arms.? The Healer unwrapped her forearms from the cloak and looked at them, turning them over. Though they were healed fainter than Obi-Wan?s, there were far greater in number and instantly apparent if one looked for them.

?These, you mean? Ohhh, no.? Tracing a finger over the darkest one, she chuckled. ?These are all from hunting.?

?Hunting?? he repeated curiously.

?Yeah,? Bakada answered back, nodding her head. ?What, you think after the Gungans kicked us out they sent a care package over every morning? Nooo...?

He took her hand and inspected it, tracing his fingers over some of the darker ones. They were all over, deep-looking punctures and thick curved lines, and the same all the way up her wrists and arms. Bakada took the appropriation of her arm in stride, scrutinizing his hand over hers? comparing scars was a popular pastime among the hunters.

?But these can?t all be from just that.?

?Food does fight back sometimes, you know. They don?t particularly want to die.? She paused. ?Wait? you think we shoot them or something.?

?You don?t??

She looked appalled that it even entered his consideration. ?No! That? it defeats the whole purpose of... you know... it.? Sighing, she tried again. ?Okay, let?s see if you can wrap your mind around this one.? She smiled sweetly. ?In the Coruscant ?Code? philosophy, I think, the Light Side is life and the Dark is for death... right??

?It?s a little more complicated than that,? he told her.

?Yes! It is so much more than that. If an animal dies, that would make it the Dark Side, wouldn?t it? But it?s a bonanza for the scavengers, isn?t it? From the death of one thing comes the life of another. You can?t separate them.? She shrugged. ?And once you consider that, this whole light-side-equals-life idea goes pretty much down the ?fresher. The Force doesn?t care about preserving individual lives? just that they all balance out. Do you see what I mean??

Looking over at him, she saw something amazing? Kenobi actually looked pleased to hear of this.

?Bakada, you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that someone else has thought of that.?

She gave a little bounce of joy and clapped her hands. ?A new convert! Excellent!?

20. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Emerging onto the correct floor, they wandered into the maze of back hallways and storage rooms. There was a practice room around up here, somewhere.

?Wanna hear more?? Bakada was practically bubbling over with excitement that there was someone who actually wanted to hear Mornayan philosophy, never mind understood it.

?There?s more? Please continue.?

?Ohh, you bet there?s more.? Bakada grinned. ?We believe that there are two sides to the universe?? she held up a finger to forestall misconception? ?Not dark and light, but, um... no, there?s no translation. Sla and Nedh.?

?Shlah and Nay,? he repeated. ?If they?re not good and bad, then what are they??

"Well... this is hard to explain. If you?re confused, you have to stop me." She inhaled, long and deep, trying to put her thoughts into sensical order.

"We believe that the universe is in a constant state of change through cycles, and Sla and Nedh describe the opposite points of these cycles. Sla is dormant and receptive, and Nedh is active and giving-off. A lot of the time they interpret Sla as dark, cool, mysterious, female, chaotic, recessive? whatever? and Nedh as bright, hot, visible, male, orderly, dominant. That?s almost right, but not really.?

??Almost right???

Starting to worry, Bakada bit her lower lip and frowned, thinking fast.

?Take the cycle of, say, rain. As the cloud gathers water, it?s in a Sla state, the receptive one. It?s dormant, it?s taking in as opposed to to releasing, and then when it rains, it changes into a state of Nedh. Giving off its gathered potential.?

Obi-Wan tapped his chin thoughtfully. ?But if it?s the rain cycle, shouldn?t it be the cloud in Sla and the ground, giving off evaporating water, in Nedh??

Laughing, she suddenly flung her arms around him. ?Ah! You understand! Force, Obi-Wan, you have no idea how happy you just made me.?

21. Hiroko01

Dec 14, 1998
    Good grief, people, feedback! This is my 3rd post in 2 days and nobody's even seen it for all I can tell... <sniff>

In the practice hall, there awaited them Qui-Gon, three other Jedi, and a ?group-coordination facilitator device?? less formally known as a nanjas ball. Like a black-and-white patched omen, it foretold of the joy of victory and the agony of defeat and full-speed body checks the Jedi version of that game entailed.

Groaning in dread, Bakada removed her cloak and scarf. It was the first time Obi-Wan could remember seeing her in anything less than two layers of tunics big enough that he himself could wear them? she dressed oddly in that way. Now she wore a brown, stretchy sleeveless training tunic, revealing that the bones in her shoulders were sharp indeed and some respectable musculature in her arms.

Obi-Wan did likewise and joined Master to stretch, eyeing the probable opposing team? a thin, lanky Padawan girl with short black hair and two similarly built Knights, a tall shaven-headed man and a shorter dark-skinned woman with flashing white eyes and teeth and long cottony black hair? menacingly.

Still by the door, Bakada tried to comb her hair out with her fingers. No luck? still in that horried half-wet/half-dry sticky stage, it caught on her hands and snapped when she pulled them through it. She gave up and sat opposite Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, slid down into a side-to-side split, and flopped face-first to spread-eagle on the ground with a grunt. ?Ow.?

?I think you broke our Healer, Master,? Obi-Wan said.

?I think I did it to myself by going to bed at four this morning,? she told them, her voice coming up mushy from the ground. ?Owwwww...?

?Who won, then?? Obi-Wan asked, looking a little impish. He knew the answer already.

?Define ?won,? Obi-Wan Kenobi,? Bakada?s voice mumbled up from the floor. ?If you mean the immediate kind, like who had whom in a kill position, it wasn?t me. But I think if you look in the long-term, by who?s feeling the most pain now directly attributable to the fight, that match was aaaall mine.?

Obi-Wan looked to his Master for confirmation.

?A blade?s not being that of a lightsaber doesn?t mean it won?t hurt when it hits you, my young Padawan,? Qui-Gon intoned solemnly. ?But what if we count by who spent the most time hiding in the rafters while they repaired the lightsaber burns over ten percent of their body, Bakada-ni-Gozen?? he poked.

?Those rafters are pretty bloody high up there, I think I deserve a little credit for that.? Bakada sat up into a normal split, then pulled her legs back in slowly.

The shiny-bald Knight came to stand over them and spoke in his startling basso rumble.

?Y?all ready for game??

[This message has been edited by Hiroko01 (edited 11-09-1999).]

22. Jaro

Jaro Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 1999
    WOO!!!

Keep posting! Keep posting!!

(I told ya I was reading )

23. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    This is excellent Hiroko, please post more!

24. Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 1999
    *Darth Obi-Wan Kenobi hits Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi over the head for not responding to the story*

I promise to respond right after I read next time! I forgot

I like this Nice job Can't wait to see the fight

25. almost...there!

almost...there! Jedi Master

Jul 5, 1999
    Bravo!! I cannot wait to see the fight either!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.