main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ahhhh the good old Yuuzhan Vong

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthjulian777, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    They really need to go into backstory with them though....I really want to know what forced them to this Galaxy.

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    she's not. they tried hard to push it, but it was flat out stupid impossible to pull of, so they droped that angle.

3. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    Are you sure about that? I mean I though she was turned into one from what I read in some of the newest material out there?

4. Barringer

Barringer Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 2, 2010
    At best, it's ambiguous. The story they concocted to make Vergere a Sith is full of holes, but I suppose since most people were unhappy with her character, they overlooked those.

5. JacenSolo26

JacenSolo26 Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2009
    I wouldn't mind seeing Luke and Ben visit Zonama Sekot during FOTJ, assuming, say, Jacen went there during his sojourn to learn more about the Potentium. The only Yuuzhan Vong we really know, though, are Harrar (whom I would like to see again) and Nas Choka.

6. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Jacen knew of zoma sekots views of the force, I dinne think it was all that complex. Not To mention he only had 5 years to work with. Dathmori, Jensaarai, White Current, Theren Listeners, Aang-tii, and Plo Koons folk... and a trip out into the unkown regions to find Zoma Zekot again?

7. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    You know, if thats the case then it would be so awesome for a couple of reasons. One is seeing the Empire of the Hand again, another is seeing the shadowy conflict fought in the Unknown Regions such as the supposed alliance between the Vong and Vagaari as well as more of Chiss society and finally, Zahn's view of the Vong. Zahn's antagonists tend to be quite clever and plotlines are quite complex in the sense that you are almost reading a murder mystery at times so if he does do it, I hope to see a Vong version of Thrawn or essentially a very intelligent adversary.

I wouldnt mind seeing short stories called "Tales of the New Republic" where you see various stories from the reign of the NR plus the battles fought during the YV War. I mean that way you are revisiting that entire bloc and see plenty of freedom for different stories without making a new run of NJO books. But that might just be me.

Anyway, I fully support post-NJO Vong appearances!

8. wawa00s

wawa00s Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2010
    I like the idea of more Yuuzhan Vong.
    After the Vong War was over so were they.Its like ok its over time to move ahead,but WAIT!
    After the Galactic War(First) we still had Imps all over the place.We Had several series devoted to the aftermath of that war(Thrawn series,Jedi Academy). WELL actually the whole EU is the aftermath of that war.
    But with the Yuuzhan Vong War its basically swept away.Sure we hear about bits of it(teraforming the planets,the tortures of the main characters and the scars it left etc.)
    They were the "Greatest Threat the Galaxy had ever faced" and your telling me they just went away so easily. Hard to believe. Even if most Vong just wanted out or whatever still some faction would have said" we were so close,we can win this if we......"
    I am all for some more Yuuzhan Vong it would be more realistic that the greatest threat would continue their effort of galaxy wide domination.
    The same thing that is happening to the Vong happened already to the Ssri-k(can't remember the whole name sorry) but at the end of Truce at Bakura they just disappear to even though they had a large fleet outside the galaxy waiting for word,and they had that Entechment thingie they did. The Empire and the "Allience" at the time were both reeling from the War and your telling me that they(Ssri-k) didn't try to push the advantage again.but that line has been shut by the EU already but the YuuzhanVong can still be written about for a lil' while longer.

Sudooku likes this.
  9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah. Saying that Vergere was a Sith because she trained with Palpatine (according to two other Sith, one of whom already had a proven track record of lying to Jacen) is about as convincing as saying that Luke is a Sith because he spent some time with Palpatine in Dark Empire. Keep in mind that one of the sources was the infamous "Jacen Skywalker" article. In any case, the powers-that-be seem to have backed off of Vergere=SITH!, so at least the are starting to see sense.

As for the Vong and Vong War novels, I have always thought that Karen Traviss's Mandalorian plotline in LOTF would have worked better, and would have been far better received, if it had been set during the Vong War. Someday, I might even write a fanfic in that vein.

Im all for Zahn writing some tale of the Empire of the Hand fighting the Vong. What with his retconnation of Thrawns motivations, that could prove a great read.

At least we get the Vong in Legacy. And Invasion. Man, I love Dark Horse...

Sudooku likes this.
  10. T-boy-wan

T-boy-wan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2006
    The Yuuzhan Vong will be back I'm certain. This may seem far out but I have a feeling that Nom Anor is still out there, hiding/creating fleets in the Deep Core/Maw and he will return in a few wars time. Only this time he will aid the heroes. Eventually all the damage he wrought in the galaxy will be forgiven and at the climax of the war, he will be elected CoS. A bit far-fetched, but I think it could happen.

Sudooku likes this.
  11. Xiphos

Xiphos Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2007
    I think they'll be back, but it'll be a small insurection and NOTHING on the scale of what we saw in the New Jedi Order series. There's bound to be Yuuzhan Vong out there who hold a MASSIVE grudge against the GA, Jedi, Imperial Remnant and the general galaxy to let it go.

12. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    ya, that would be good

13. Kietharr

Kietharr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    I'd like to see some more short story anthologies. Tales from the Yuuzahn Vong anyone?

14. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I want to see a Yuuzhan Vong rendition of James Cameron's Avatar, of course. For the backstory in the home galaxy. Maybe Battlestar Sunulok and the charismatic Commander Lah --- survivors in search of a home out in the stars. With how BSG ended, it's not hard to draw comparisons.

But...I seriously want to know Vongerella's backstory, and an exploration of Yuuzhan Vong influence on galactic pop culture. Children dressed in spiky outfits? Greedy Mega-Organizations ruling worlds like Balosar claiming that certain Yuuzhan Vong biots are dangerous when they're not as dangerous and can salvage polluted worlds? Operas about the war? Propaganda posters? All this may be achieved through one-pagers, but...

Sudooku likes this.
  15. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    haha James Cameron could climb onboard

16. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    I wouldn't say that I'm a complete fan of the NJO, but I found the Yuuzhan Vong interesting at first. Then the series got dragged on for too long, but that's another thing entirely.

While I don't love the Vong, I am disappointed that they've barely been in any of the post-NJO books. Like you guys have said, you don't write a 19-book series with them and then never mention them again.

I'm in the middle of reading LOTF right now, and I think it would have been really interesting if we had been shown how the Vong that are on Zonama Sekot have been doing. I know we got a glimpse of them in DN, but LOTF is what, five or six years after that? I want to know how much they've adapted to living on the planet.

17. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I like the Yuuzhan Vong, but hate the NJO.

Therefore my feelings on further books focusing on the Vong are revealed to be ambivalent.

[face_plain]

18. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    What is the reason for these outlandish (o_O) statements

19. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    You mean my flowery language? It's just something I do sometimes. :D

20. Timstuff

Timstuff Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2008
    I have a better idea-- do a literary reboot and retcon the YV's out of cotninuity. [face_dancing]

21. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    That's a terrible idea, The YV are the best thing to ever happen to the series.

Sudooku likes this.
  22. Timstuff

Sep 7, 2008
    Fixed. [face_mischief]

Seriously, the YV are the Cobra-La of Star Wars. Totally out of place, and were the red flag that the expanded universe had jumped the shark. The YV, in addition to being lame were at the center of 18 books' worth of irreversable damage to the EU continuity. Chewbacca, Anakin Solo, Jacen Solo, and Mara Jade were all worthlessly killed off in the most stupid of ways in that story. Seriously, Darth Caedus? WTF were they thinking? "Oh, I have a great idea. Since this story already sucks so bad, let's not even bother writing it anymore and just copy and paste Anakin Skywalker's story arc onto his grandson!" The YV were lame, and they brought with them a wave of collateral lameness that pretty much destroyed the EU. They were pretty much sledgehammer that was used to clean house on all the characters who they didn't feel like writing about anymore.

I mean, if you want to have some measure of just how lame the YV are, Just look at this poll at Wookieepeedia!

link=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Lamest_thing_ever!

The YV were deemed lamer than even the lamest aspects of the Prequel Trilogy, and the only thing lamer is SuperShadow. That's pretty bad.

23. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008

Besides the fact that half the characters you stated did not die in the NJO you know 15 years doesn't make a difference at all. And there were a total of 77 votes I wouldn't say that's a scientific poll. What's worse than killing of characters? letting them grow so old that they can't do anything, there are needs for people to die. Just because they are the main characters 40 years ago doesn't mean they still should be. I'm not talking about LotF, Ya it was pretty bad what they did to Jacen, but that's not what we are disputing. The YV war introduced something into Star Wars that in much of the greatest pieces of Literature has, Catharsis. Witnessing things so terrible that you are drained of emotion and it in a way purifies you. The darkness of the series was amazing, the feel introduced from the death of Chewbacca that no one was safe and it kept you guessing. In other novels you just say, "Oh, Luke is going to live obviously." In this it was more like, "Oh my God, Luke come on hold on." And that's as it should be in Literature. Real Literature should evoke emotion and get you into the book, and this series does it unlike any of the other Star Wars books I have read.

24. Barringer

Barringer Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 2, 2010
    Agreed, one of the positives of the New Jedi Order series, and I suppose Del Rey's handling of the Expanded Universe in general, is that when I read the Fate of the Jedi novels, I legitimately believe there's jeopardy for the characters, including Luke and Ben...

Back with the Bantam novels that preceded the NJO series ? not that all of them were bad ? there was never a sense of the characters being in jeopardy. Even minor characters are more prone to untimely deaths in the more recent books. All I can really think of in that regard is Crix Madine and Gaeriel Captison.

25. Timstuff

Sep 7, 2008
    I just think that killing characters off is a lame way to shelve them when you run out of ideas. If Luke Skywalker is too old an geriatric to do anything for the story, why not just send him off to some planet where he can retire, and if they discover they need him for something in the story again or have an idea for a new story with him, he's still available? Maybe if Del Ray and Lucas Books weren't so obsessed with churning out novel after novel on a regular schedule they wouldn't have to worry so much about whether they "pushing it to the next level" every time they wrote something. Just how many lame superweapons and fallen Jedi have there been since the time ROTJ ended? Far more than I would care to count, that's for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.