main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ahhhh the good old Yuuzhan Vong

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthjulian777, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Having no death is worse than killing characters off in what seems like an arbitrary fashion.

2. Timstuff

Timstuff Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2008
    No, the worst is in comics how they kill everyone off only to bring them back a few years later. I'd rather they just not kill people off in the first place.

3. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Indeed, to be frank, whilst I love the EU, I was going a bit bored of the books before the NJO as there was no credible threat. It was always Darksider this (Brakiss, Kueller), Imperial warlord that (Daala, Zsinj), small alien threat that gets defeated before dinner time (Yevetha, Ssi-ruuk, Dzym) etc etc. It seemed everyone was invincible and there was no change in the setting. Now unnecessarily killing of characters is bad but leaving characters in a state where they cannot die is just a ideal fantasy state which gets boring after a while in terms of story because there is no progress.

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I prefer it when characters stay dead like Anikin or Jacen, bringing back Sidious was ok but only sause he was pretty much a dark god at the time. I did not like the YV still don't, they are my least favorite part of star wars closely followed by the "Galactic Federation of Free Alliances", Worst name for a government ever. But the YV aren't that bad, also death is a natural part of life, a path we all must take, I hope Luke dies soon, the only thing worse than death is to become what Han and Leia are in the new serise, useless self-righteous a -holes, or at least that was how they came off in Abyss, don't know if they are any better in the new one. I digress, the YV changed things, humans dislike change, they can't help it, it's a function of there software. [face_mischief]

5. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I think the Yuuzhan Vong invasion should have taken place thousands of years into the future of the SW Universe, and the OT characters should have been left to spend the rest of their lives in relative peace.

6. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I don't think that would have been a bad idea, although I would have preferred ancient Sith coming from the Unknown Regions (or from another galaxy, perhaps a companion galaxy) than the Vong. That was the original intention - the whole Vong organic tech thing came from the original idea for Sith alchemy instead.

7. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    To be honest, I think one of the things I liked about the Vong was that they were different and not another Dark sider threat. Whilst I like the concepts, I sometimes think that seeing Dark Jedi/Sith gets a bit... overdone. Especially now since the whole "Sith hiding in Unknown Regions" thing got done now with The Old Republic. But perhaps yeah might have been interesting to see such a threat in the distant future.

8. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Well, The Old Republic wasn't around when NJO started, so ancient Sith returning would have been new. And also, I think the ancient Sith would remain refreshing and original, because they're not the typical black hooded Dark Jedi bent on destroying the Republic.

9. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    But the YV have an entirely NEW elements. Their love of Death, Pain, Killing, Their Zealot nature, Coming from outside the galaxy and Being outside the Force. It's just what we needed to reinvigorate the series

10. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Well, the ancient Sith remained unexplored. There was an awful lot of untapped potential there. And love of death, pain and killing sounds pretty Sithly... coming from outside the galaxy? How about fled from the early Jedi to one of the seven companion galaxies? Outside the Force... wounds in the Force a la Nihilus or the Exile.

We could see the Sith as more of a religion too, rather than a dictatorship. And how about the whole Sith-gods thing be explored a little more? The Dark Jedi posed as gods after all, Adas was worshiped as a god, Vader swears "by the immortal gods of the Sith..." Perhaps a bunch of Sith zealots who worship the dark side, and believe it a sentient god who is commanding them?

Many say the Sith have been sucked dry. I don't think so; only black robed vengeful Dark Jedi, i.e. the movie Sith, have been sucked dry. Let's see some variety in the Sith.

11. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008

We are its called FotJ

12. Talon_Sharrde

Talon_Sharrde Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2010
    I think a good author (Stover, anyone?) could pull off another YV book. I think the NJO Jedi-side's timeline is a little too packed to squeeze in another without things getting too crowded. I mean, they have to sleep sometime. Maybe a Wraiths book or a Rogue covert op, but I think a book from the Chiss perspective would be a definite read. The best way to rework to the Vong into modern books would be to do a novel from their perspective. Just a single, stand-alone novel, or a trilogy at first. This could allow for the story of the Vong in their own galaxy, why they left, why they're so psycho (apart from the vague "stripped of the force" let-down), etc. However, I don't think the idea them all, to a man (Vong?), rising up again and having a go at it, at least for another 100 yrs. The pathological-by-genetic-makeup is an excuse I don't buy, but I suppose I'll have to live with it.

13. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Personally I would welcome books that feature the Vong, Vong tech, or more closely focused upon the huge changes made to the galaxy after their arrival. While Legacy looks at the effect they had much later on, I am still more interested in the immediate aftermath. There is room for any number of interesting stories to be written or characters to be developed as the smoke clears after a war of that magnitude, and in my opinion it was a wasted chance for a reboot without the boot. They could have kept everything we love about the franchise (Big 3, Rogue Squadron, Empire/Republic etc etc) yet used the new devestated galaxy setting to create compeletely new things to appreciate (again, Legacy is sort of doing this later in the timeline).

I guess I just don't get those saying 'everyone hated the Vong, they would have all been murdered on sight' etc. When on a smaller scale interaction with the Vong and their tech would have potentially paved the way for some excellent stories to be told as the galaxy picks itself up from the ashes looking for those to blame. Yeah there would have been wide-scale persicution and such, but I can't help but feel it would have been something very interesting to see crop up in the books.

Sudooku likes this.
  14. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I've been rereading NJO recently. I forgot how great the YV are as villains. The religious fanaticism, manipulation and views on pain are interesting. They were the unknown. The military had to work at how to defeat them.

I don't know about a whole book about the YV, but I'd like to hear a little about their containment. And the clean-up of the galaxy. I'd like to know how Coruscant is suddenly hospitable again.

Starting off the series with killing Chewbacca set the tone. These weren't going to be the same Star Wars books we'd been reading. It worked well. Character death is important to stories, when it makes sense.

Sudooku likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.