main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Ahsoka in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Nov 6, 2013.

?

What should Ahsoka be like if she turns up in Rebels?

1. Like she was before the S3 timeskip. Snippy, impulsive, petulant, a little over-agressive

4 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Like she was post-timeskip: Mature for her age, insightful, reserved, able to mentor others

203 vote(s)
    57.2%
  3. Radically grimdarkened, fatalistic, sarcastic, determinist, but still essentially a good guy.

115 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Non-Sith Dark Jedi... either freelancing it, or with a group like the Nightsisters

15 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Sith-aligned Darksider working with the Empire / Vader etc.

18 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Nah, Dave won't let that happen.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it's an element of PTSD after the trial and the reveal that her best friend Barriss has betrayed her, that's "the straw that broke the camel's back" and caused her confidence to break.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Her best friend? That's fanfiction. ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    All of this is irrefutably true. And personally, Ahsoka's record of service is in the very front of my mind, because it helps to illustrate my position.

It proves that Tano was a valuable asset to the troops in the field. The very kind of being who is needed most during times of war.

I suppose the crux of it all is whether one buys the idea that due to her ordeal, she was literally incapable of continuing to serve in a meritorious fashion.

To me, passing through a period of self-doubt does not equal that type of incapacitation. But that's me. I have no problem with agreeing to disagree. Anyone is free to feel differently.

Clearly Ahsoka did. She said as much. Overwhelmed by self-doubt, disillusioned with the Jedi Council, and unable to find within herself the strength to rise above it all, she opted to walk.

This was her right, but I don't think that it's unreasonable of me to be disappointed in that, either.

5. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    Trebor Sabreon.

To be honest that is why the Jedi never let fear or emotions guide them. She wasn't thinking like a Jedi anymore. She didn't let Anakin work everything out like he said he would. Maybe she allowed her emotions take her to the dark side or at least brush with it. Not like full on Barriss or anything like that but more in the sense of not trusting and hence selfishness. Yoda was right when he said Fear leads to Anger and Anger etc etc. She followed those steps and in the end she suffered. Nobody really talked her through what she was going through or simply how to handle the situation.

6. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    You're darned right.

Anakin made an appeal, but part of the attitude of the Council (at least what we shown), was, "the Force works in mysterious ways," so just accept it and move on.

I think someone, anyone whom she respected should have sat Tano down and said, "let's talk."

I'm not saying "suck it up and get back out there." Not in as many words, anyway.

But I don't think bailing was the answer, either. You don't trust yourself? Let's work that out. Let's sit down for a session and hash out our issues, here. Give the Council 'what for' if that helps.

But don't just leave. You're too important to the cause and too many folks are counting on you.

7. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    Trebor Sabreon

Yea the whole "I don't trust myself" garbage is something I will always have an issue with. I could see if she left without saying it. I don't like to rag on writers but they dropped the ball on that one. If she would have left and said "I don't trust the council" that would have been better.

8. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Heero_Yuy pointed out that that line of dialogue was altered at the eleventh hour.

I can't remember what the original line was, but it might prove illuminating.

9. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    No, in fan fiction they're much more than friends . . .
    [​IMG]

10. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    Heero_Yuy

Now all we need to do is sit and wait for AFS.....muahahaha

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  11. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Me neither. However, she would definitely have some kind of emotions regarding the whole Order 66 incident and the fact that her former master is a Dark Lord of the Sith; considering that she appears in Rebels.

A version of her that would be to my liking, is a more dark Ahsoka than the one in TCW. Not saying she would join the Sith or anything stupid like that, but committing actions like bombing Imperial outposts or killing Stormtroopers even when she is not in pursuit.

Something like this: A squad of Stormtroopers imprisons a man that contains no ID. Ahsoka is nearby and hears the man's screams. A crowd is gathered and the Stormtrooper Squad Leader asks them to disperse. Ahsoka jumps from the crowd, kills 4 out of 5 Stormtroopers and then Force Chokes the Leader.

Or something like that. :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    She doesn't care.

13. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014

Awww I was expecting an......Oh Hell =((

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
  15. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Here's the line from the original video, shown in this link (can't embed it here): http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/tv/2013/10/14/2982435/

"They never should have told me to leave. I'm sorry Master, but I'm not coming back."

Then she walks away.

Trebor Sabreon and rdhight like this.
  16. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
  17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    That was it. Thank you, CL.

So then the original line casts Ahsoka in a light of feeling almost vindictive, no?

The line we were given, more of a being mired in self-doubt.

Almost seems that, by way of their decision to keep her alive, the writers were kind of "damned if you do, damned if you don't," eh?

18. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
  19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Nothing in the current canon really dives into the nature of the Jedi Order's relationship to the Republic.

Obi-Wan in ANH merely says they were guardians of peace and justice. In TPM, we see Valorum secretly dispatch Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in an attempt to resolve the blockade of Naboo. In ROTS, Mace makes a big to do about Palpatine not being kept alive because he has control of the Senate and the Republic Courts. Anakin says his loyalties lay with the Chancellor and the Senate.

But in TCW we see Ahsoka very adamant that Letta be tried in the Jedi courts and rhetoric seems to differentiate between what is regarded as a "Jedi matter" and a "Republic matter." And when it comes to Ahsoka's trial, again there is friction between Tarkin and the Jedi over whether she will be tried in the Jedi Court or the Republic Court.

The Jedi do have their own justice system, and seem almost like a vassal-entity to the Republic. That they administrate themselves autonomously, but can be called upon by the Senate to serve the Republic.

I think they wanted to convey the idea that Ahsoka is being used as a pawn by a Jedi Order compromising its rights in a PR move, though in practice it didn't seem like it would have made any difference since the Jedi found it necessary to conduct their own trial anyway, and arrived at a guilty verdict.

Yes, Ahsoka was innocent. But given the evidence, I think she was a little too unrealistic with her expectations that she'd get off free merely based on trust. I mean, if all it took was trust, then Ahsoka probably never would have even considered Barriss as a guilty party, so she's kind of being an immature hypocrite.

I would like to think that she'd grow up and realize that the Jedi not trusting her implicitly was not a fault and rejoin them. Especially when the only reason she didn't get executed is because Anakin did go to every possible length to prove her innocence and trusted her implicitly. And that the only reason she ever stood trial to begin with is because someone SHE trusted betrayed her.

20. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    TaradosGon

Ahsoka never thought Barriss was the betrayer. The only way Anakin found out was because of Ventress.

Edit: Well you would think that the Jedi would've investigated further on their own right? I mean every governing body within a governing body has their own internal investigation. They didn't do anything of the sort. They stripped her of her title so that she could be rushed to trial.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    That's what I mean as far as Ahsoka being a hypocrite. Like, she expects the Jedi to just trust that she didn't do it despite well placed evidence stacking against her (being found in the vicinity of the nanodroids used in the bombing, a holorecording of what looks like her choking Letta, her association with a known enemy of the Republic, and merely the fact that she's running doesn't help).

Despite that, she just seems disgusted that the Jedi don't trust her enough to realize she's innocent. When Barriss, despite all the trust in the world, proves that she is capable of betraying a friend, committing murder, and attacking the Jedi. In a world where Barriss, a well respected and trusted individual is capable of such things, can Ahsoka really fault the Jedi for not putting their trust in her above the evidence? It just seems like she's being immature and wants special treatment.

And I have no love for this arc. Much of it was handled sloppily, like the Jedi pseudo-trial. Why bother having a trial, if the Republic trial is going to be the official trial that decides her fate? Why bother stripping her of her rank as a Jedi before the Republic trial?

If it was necessary to strip her of her rank as a Jedi to facilitate moving things along and limit any kind of red tape in judging a Jedi in a Republic court, then it seems like the Jedi HAD to rule that she was guilty solely to justify stripping her of her position within the Jedi Order, regardless of whether they thought she was guilty or not.

That's not how I had initially interpreted what was going on, but if that is what happened, and the Jedi decided to give her a guilty verdict to facilitate cooperation with the Republic courts, then the Jedi are just arbitrarily being depicted as being unnecessarily corrupt and cruel here.

22. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Watched the video
    This face is going to give me nightmares now... :eek:

[​IMG]

23. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

To me, her pushing away Anakin's help made less sense than her response to the council. as Darth Valkyrus said, she's accomplished some selfless acts in trying to discharge the responsibility to others the council has given her, and to have the council say, "We're taking all those responsibilities away... oh, here, do you want 'em back?" I can see why felt like she had some things to figure out. But c'mon -- in the second episode of the show, Anakin reprimands her for flagrantly opposing the council, then shows her how he'll look for Plo Koon, but in a way that's more obedient to the letter of their command. Then when he tries to help her the same way, she acts like it's a betrayal that he doesn't just decapitate her clone guards and bust her out -- so they can both live a life on the run, apparently? They should have done better.

"In you must go."

"What's in there?"

"Only what you take with you."

24. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I think you have answered your own question. It seems it was the out-of-universe necessity of moving the plot along.

If Tano isn't suspected by the Jedi and stripped of her rank, she has no motivation to leave.

I know that IU, a big fuss was made to show that the Jedi felt that they had to make the move due to political pressure from all fronts (the public, the Chancellor, Tarkin, even), but I think we know the OOU reason.

Yep, there was an awful lot of out-of-character moments for Ahsoka in the arc, all, it would seem, with an eye towards the single goal of getting her away from Anakin and the Jedi before ROTS, but still alive and kicking.

As I've said before, in some sense, Filoni really painted himself into a corner. Maybe GL's instincts were right in the first place?

25. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    TaradosGon

Makes sense. But they shouldn't just automatically assume she would just smile and say "Sure I'll come back".

Ex: Think of it this way. Say your wife/husband is allegedly cheating on you or so you think. You have a P.I follow them around. He gets some evidence to make it look like they are and you divorce after them after they plead with you that they have nor would do anything of the sort. All of a sudden it turns out that the evidence is falsified because of whatever reason. You realize your mistake and seeing that you were in the wrong you ask them to remarry you. Would you expect them to just say "of course this was stupid" and remarry you? 80-90% of the time they would flip you the bird and say deuces. All that trust that they put in you is now gone and makes you look untrustworthy.

Edit: At this point though I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Iron_lord likes this.