main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Ahsoka in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Nov 6, 2013.

?

What should Ahsoka be like if she turns up in Rebels?

1. Like she was before the S3 timeskip. Snippy, impulsive, petulant, a little over-agressive

4 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Like she was post-timeskip: Mature for her age, insightful, reserved, able to mentor others

203 vote(s)
    57.2%
  3. Radically grimdarkened, fatalistic, sarcastic, determinist, but still essentially a good guy.

115 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Non-Sith Dark Jedi... either freelancing it, or with a group like the Nightsisters

15 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Sith-aligned Darksider working with the Empire / Vader etc.

18 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    They could cast someone who looked most like her... and even if they didn't sound right, they could dub Ashley over her. It's been done before in SW several times. Darth Maul's voice in TPM is not Ray Park. Darth Vader's voice is obviously not David Prowse, etc.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Well not to get off too much on a tangent, but we could use the example of Harley Quinn. Folks like me appreciated her character's voice way back from the Batman Animated series from the 90s. The character evolved overtime with new stories, and eventually got some significant talking roles in the Batman Arkham video games (and Injustice: God's Among Us). But there was never her version of a live-action character, until this Summer when "Suicide Squad" is released. Margot Robbie certainly doesn't have the voice that Harley had in animated form, but I doubt too many are complaining about that. People like me are just psyched that she'll be on screen at all.

Skydoll likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    For all we know Ashley might be a bad LA actor, but a good voice actor. No offense Ashley.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It is an interesting question. Let's say for the sake of argument that Ahsoka is completely done with Rebels. Whether or not her character is resurrected remains to be seen; but what would Ashley be doing in the meantime? Some might be familiar with her "Her Universe" line of SW related merchandise for females, but she herself is still relatively young; and I'd assume want to get back to working sooner rather than later. The typical voice actor gets multiple roles in various animated series and/or films.

5. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Maul's voice in TPM is is Peter Serafinowicz, a British comedian who is a massive SW fan! :) He has a beautiful voice, but Sam Witwer does a pretty great evolution of it.

I think that's a really good example. Characters evolve - Storm of the X-Men has been recast for the new X-Men Apocalypse movie too (which is great, as I never really bought Halle Berry in the role). Point being, parts are recast all the time. I dunno if I'd want her dubbed though. Either you cast Eckstein or you don't. Personally, in the interests of diversity, I'd be really pleased if Ahsoka ever made it to the big screen and was played by a black actress. (Just sayin', as a POC.)

6. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
    She's 32? I looked at her IMDb page. I think she's really pretty, and she's tiny - like 5.2. Ahsoka's pretty small, I guess, in TCW anyway. But she's fully adult in Rebels.

Again, I find myself appreciating the often unsung role of casting directors.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Having seen Ashley in person I can attest to how short she is. :p

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well Ashley is not the supposed 6'1" of an adult Ahsoka as I read off the wook, I find that canon height rather ridiculous tbh :

[​IMG]

Ahsoka is more 5'7" on Rebels. I also never cared for the clones being over 6 feet when the actor was not, maybe with the Clones you can claim growth hormones and genetic tapering, but Ahsoka, nah.

9. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Shaak Ti was pretty tall though wasn't she? I figured it's just a Togruta thing.

10. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
    I always thought Ahsoka was kind of small, but thinking about it, that was seeing her next to Anakin and Obi-Wan who are, yeah, tall dudes. And, back then, she was a teenager.

Wookipedia lists Shaak Ti as being 1.87 meters = over 6.1 in feet. Yeah, pretty tall but was that her head montrals, adding extra height...?

11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    It's worth noting that her horns give her an inflated height figure. For example a human female whose eyes were at the same height as Ahsoka's eyes, would still be several inches shorter than her in absolute height because of the horns.

Dark Lady Mara and Skydoll like this.
  12. Knight Wolf

Knight Wolf Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 6, 2014
    http://www.themarysue.com/ashley-eckstein-video-interview/
    In this interview Ashley talks about how she did live action before she got into voice acting. Starts around 9:05. She talks about how voice acting is still acting.
    And here’s Ashley in her Ahsoka cosplay:
    [​IMG]

Imo Ashley can totally be live action Ahsoka.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I know that she did LA work before doing voice acting and I never said Voice acting was not "acting" She however does not look like Ahsoka at all and therefore if Ahsoka ever does appear in LA then it should be played by someone who actually looks like Ahsoka and she can dub the voice.

14. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
    Fortunately, none of us are casting directors (to my knowledge) so the decision is out of our hands.

I think dubbing a voice is a last resort if a performance doesn't quite cut it. Ray Park's a nice guy and a terrific gymnast, but his speaking voice doesn't have the dulcet, cut-glass impact Peter Serafiowicz or Sam Witzwer's tones have. It was kind of inevitable his few lines in TPM would be redubbed.

So if a new actress was cast as Ahsoka in live-action but she gave a heartfelt, convincing performance, I think it'd be a shame to take away from that by dubbing her just for the sake of continuity. Surely her look would sell the illusion of her still being the same character? Plus the way she was played, of course. And this is coming from someone who loves Ashley Eckstein's voice performances in the role. Ultimately you have to go with what's right in every situation, so if dubbing made the perfomance better overall, then good. But otherwise, leave it as is.

Todd the Jedi and Knight Wolf like this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Well like I suggested in an earlier post, if they wanted to keep Ashley's voice for the character, they could go the Avatar/LOTR route and create a fully CGI version of the character for the LA screen.

16. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Don't think people would like complete CGI for a species possible with makeup.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

It's more than just orange skin though. Not many people argued that Yoda in the PT was CGI instead of the puppet used in the OT.

18. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
    I think it would depend on the extent of her role - if it's a cameo, fine, whatever - I'd be thrilled to just to see Ahsoka, even if she was realized as CGI.

But if she has a large role, I'd rather see a flesh-and-blood actress perform. I'd love to be won over by a great, talented actress bringing Ahsoka to life. Sure, they can do virtually anything nowadays with CGI (Lupita N'yongo as Maz springs to mind), yet there's always the "Uncanny Valley" effect, and you still can't beat a flesh-and-blood performance behind it all.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Why would they cgi Ahsoka,lol. She can play her in live action and its not like that guy they got for a young Han or Indiana Jones resembled Harrison Ford.

The box art has a similarity resemblance to Ashley:
    [​IMG]

Knight Wolf likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

It's easy enough to get a professional artist to draw a special design for the box art like that. It's different to see what it might look like in the flesh using makeup.

21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I was re-watching Shroud of Darkness today and I noticed some things about the opening scene, where Ahsoka is using Kanan's Holocron to view a recording of Anakin. First, Ahsoka's seated in the traditional Jedi meditative stance, and she's clearly been listening to it for a while befor Ezra enters the room. What's interesting about that, is that until Ezra enters, Ahsoka's eyes are closed and she's just listening to Anakin's voice. It's almost like she's just focusing on his voice and remembering the good times with her Master, before the Dark Times. For all the viewers who watched Clone Wars and liked Anakin, it's a call back for us as week, to see an image of the good man that was Anakin Skywalker, a sharp contrast to the dark monster that he has become in Rebels, Darth Vader.

It's just a very nice moment that we get to see Ahsoka listening to one of Anakin's teachings and reminiscing of happy times when he was still alive, as Ahsoka believes Anakin died defending the Temple at this point. It's only after the vision in the Lothal Temple that she comes to terms with him being Vader.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Well she did have some obvious suspicion during the Siege of Lothal scene. It was essentially plausible deniability until that Lothal Temple vision that she came to terms with it.

23. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Well I believe Filoni has gone on record saying that after Order 66, Ahsoka could no longer sense Anakin in the Force (because he'd turned to the Dark Side and she no longer recognized him) and she assumed that he'd been killed along with all the others. When she first encounters Darth Vader in the space battle with Phoenix Squadron, her unconscious mind recognizes that this Sith Lord is actually Anakin. But Filoni claims that Ahsoka is basically in denial, so deep that she's unable to come to terms with it and refuses to believe it. That may the reason she's looking at the Holocron, to remind herself of the good person her Master was and how it would be impossible for him to turn to the Dark Side. Yoda seems to know that she's going through this, which is why he sends the Anakin/Vader illusion to her in the Temple. To force her to come to terms with what her former Master has become. Because it's only when she accepts what Anakin Skywalker has become, that she can do what needs to be done to stop the Sith.

24. Dorryn

Dorryn Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2015
    I don't believe Yoda was the one who sent her the vision. The Force gave it to her. If Yoda wanted Ahsoka to know the truth he could simply tell her. He didn't tell Luke who his father was so why would he tell anybody else?

25. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

According to Pablo Hidalgo, all of the visions in the Lothal Temple were illusions, sent by Yoda. Also, Yoda has no other way to contact Ahsoka. It's not as if he has a holocomm on Dagobah.

rumsmuggler likes this.