main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Ahsoka novel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Haven't read the book yet, but maybe

It's Coric? Rex's First Sergeant (OK, right-hand man since god forbid we have a decent NCO support channel in the GAR :p ) from the early TCW publishing boom? He and Ahsoka worked together a bunch, and he and Rex were really close after surviving the Battle of Teth.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Does this look about right?

[​IMG]

EDIT: Actually I assume with Ezra being 7 when his parents were taken that Wild Space is set in 13 BBY, as they were missing for eight years by 5 BBY? So Last Jedi then Ahsoka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth_Garak and Vthuil like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Is Coric even canon? He was only ever named in KT's and KM's novels, which are considered Legends, I believe.

4. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    ...dang, good point. Guess it's probably one of the series' troopers then.

5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    So, the core of the DS beam is actually Red-ish. The green appear to be focusing intensifiers surrounding the beam. Interesting in context of this. Heh.
    [​IMG]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also note that exploding kyber crystals in Rebels gave us a green boom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Yeah. The Red comes from a FS attempting to BOND with the Crystal, rather than someone just using it. Pablo noted that crafters of lightsabers Bond with their crystals as they construct their sabers. Thus a special connection with the wielder of the weapon TO the weapon.

See, now I have this weird image of Kylo trying to agressively bond with Illum as a whole.

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Wonder how the DARKsaber was formed knowing what we know about kyber crystals and their owners

cwustudent likes this.
  9. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Maybe crystal called out to someone who was going through a goth phase.

10. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if the explanation for the Darksaber was because it bled so much it got a massive black bruise.

I see more yellow then red.

I don’t know how the Death Star superlaser works, but considering it’s canonically powered by eight crystals, I do have to wonder if that number is related to the eight green beams projected from the disc.

Also, the new retcon explanation about crystals being naturally transparent (like ice) does not support the fact that the Utapau crystal was naturally green. It wasn’t just the blasts that were green, it was the crystal itself.

And the Death Star crystals wasn’t the only question that popped into my mind. I actually have a list of them. :p

- Why did Dooku have a red lightsaber if he was a former Jedi (did he decide to steal someone else’s crystal just because?)
    - How many soulmate crystals are there per person to account for lost lightsabers in battle and shotos and double blades? Do they suddenly grow after a Jedi loses a lightsaber?
    - Since there are so many planets around the galaxy with kyber crystals, what is the likelihood of your group of younglings finding all of their soulmate crystals in the same convenient place?
    - If you can’t find crystals that don’t sing to you (you’ll just confuse them with ice), how the hell did the inquisitor find Ahsoka’s crystals?
    - And how does the Empire keep finding crystals for the Death Star? Are they calling to them?
    - And really, what’s with the different lightsaber colors? I wonder, if a youngling is called by a yellow crystal, does that mean is doomed to be a Jedi Temple guard? You know, to fit the color scheme.

And hey, you can always find a way to explain all these things, but a retcon that raises more questions than it answers is not a good retcon to me. And I’m not a fan of over-explanation, especially when it’s the kind of “it’s predestined to belong to you” but <insert conditions and exceptions>. I’m a fan of simplicity and individuals making choices, from choosing the weapon they want to choosing the path they follow. It’s their choices (even in little things like the color of the blade because they either like the color or they want to belong to a certain group, or they want to distinguish themselves, etc.) that informs me of their characters and their individuality, not the fact that destiny/crystals choose it for them.

11. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    In the rough animatic, that is how it appeared. For the final textured episode, it was planned to be mostly transparent, but with an iridescent slightly glowing green core. (large image below:)
    [​IMG]

cwustudent likes this.
  12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ I know that, and it's still a green crystal. Nobody would ever confuse that with ice.

13. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Looks like Pablo is chiming in on the whole Crystal thing on his twitter.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo

"When a kool aid packet calls to a Jedi, it is flavorless until a bond is forged. Berry blue. Green apple. Sometimes grape.
    A dark sider, no matter how thirsty, will not hear the Kool-Aid packet. They can force a bond if they have a packet. It's always cherry.
    If a dark sider grabs a jug of blue berry, it doesn't become cherry.
    Ahsoka was just as surprised as anyone when this happened." (insert pic of "Kool-Aid Invisible" here.)

Hmm...I'm thirsty but I don't know why...

Hypatia, Iron_lord, Vthuil and 4 others like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been a bit slow, lots going on lately.

So Ahsoka was on Mandalore when Order 66 went down, let Maul escape in order to save Rex, and faked both of their deaths?

I admit that is better and more badass than I thought.

I wonder if Anakin's Force signature changed to the point of being unrecognizable when he became Vader or if he intentionally cut himself off in the Force from everyone he had known in the past.

And back to present...the Empire shows up, Ahsoka hangs out in a bar and spies (did I mention that I love this?--yeah, I did), and tells everyone to store rations in case the Imperials start stealing food. I expect to see some Imperial brutality soon.

I loved this line: "It was the sort of thing she might have done with Anakin, though espionage with Anakin Skywalker always ended with explosions, and Ahsoka had no intention of going that far." [face_laugh]

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Of course you like the part about hanging out and spying in a bar.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I finished the book, so now I can join in on the convos (posted a similar comment in the Ahsoka thread of the TV forum).

I thought it was pretty good. I think it better served to pave the way for her role in Rebels than it did actually bridge the gap between even Order 66 and becoming Fulcrum. The story itself didn't actually take place immediately after Order 66, but years later as she's been a fugitive one the run; going from planet to planet. I liked how they incorporated subtle cameos; most notably Luke and Leia. It would certainly make my day if a future story in this timeline had Ahsoka actually landing on Alderaan and meeting with Leia for the first time. But even more than that, I want more story period. It was a good story, but it wasn't everything. Does Miara actually join the Rebellion? When does she first meet up with Hera, if she meets up in person at all?

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I could watch a Star Wars play with nothing but the characters coming in and out of a bar. Star Wars Cheers.

Anyway...

Ahsoka mind-tricking the stormtroopers was kind of cliche. Stormtroopers are weak-minded. We know. Nice work with the non-stormtrooper officer though.

The food hoarding was...apocalyptic. And made sense under the circumstances.

Best line: "Could you possibly yell more loudly? I don't think they heard you on Alderaan." That's the Ahsoka I like.

Tibbola's beating and murder was hard to read, as was Miara's reaction. If anyone wonders how brutal the Imperials are in the new canon, there is this and the slave labor in Lost Stars.

Sepra and Senator Kelberry like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Looks like Ahsoka is going to take charge and show these clueless people how to fight the Imperials.

At one time I might have rolled my eyes and her being the only one who knew which end was up, but I don't care now.

"Hoban said nothing for a moment, and Ahsoka knew he was trying to stay angry, because the only other option he saw was hopelessness.

'Can we blow things up yet?' he asked at last."

LOL. That's always a good solution to hopelessness.

Jenneth is a right old bantha's ***.

Ahsoka having to get the hell out of dodge after using the Force to save some kids was completely unsurprising; reminded me a bit of A New Dawn when Kanan kept planet hopping, although Kanan at the time was not doing anything noble.

"Did your adoptive parents bicker?"

Oooooohhh hell. LOL.

And WTF is Hoban up to? A disagreement over what they blow up first?

Sepra and Senator Kelberry like this.
  19. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I sat down in a Barnes and Noble for a few hours yesterday and today and read through the novel.

I didn't have half the problems other people had with some of the story's elements, namely the Imperials already jumping on the slave labor stuff.

I don't think it's that big of an issue, especially because it seems to be mostly planets from the Outer Rim that are being used up carelessly. It doesn't seem like anyone cares about the Outer Rim Republic/non-Republic systems all that much in the new Canon. I think it would be more of a problem if we were seeing the Imperials stretch their bad guy strength over Inner Rim or core worlds. Regardless, I'd expect Palatine's propaganda machine to be powerful enough to cover the Imperial's wrongdoings very well at this time.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Finally started this last night - pretty good so far.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Doesn't Rebels kind of imply otherwise?

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sort of but I did not think she was able to recognize him until they were close in proximity.

cubman987 likes this.
  23. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So if Rex faked his death the. Went into exile, why does it seem in Rebels he answered to the Empire until they retired him? Scouting out bases for the Empire and all that, saying a few he didn't report in. Also Tibberius in Stealth Strike doesn't seem surprised he's alive if he was suppose to have died how many years ago.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, I think the thing with Rex is just a straight-up continuity goof. My guess is that his death being faked was part of the original plan for the TCW finale, but when it wasn't clear if that would ever be released, they omitted it from "The Lost Commanders" in the interests of simplicity, only for Ahsoka to still use the original outline.

Daneira likes this.
  25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think his "Force signature" must be different, when Kanan and Ezra sense him they feel coldness and hatred, which I think would change how he's perceived. I think she only realizes who he is when Vader senses her and Kanan reaching out, then there is some sort of connection where she is then able to recognize who he once was.

Yeah I think they will explain this at some point, either in another book or on Rebels. I think the fact that they don't reveal who is in the grave might be a sign there is a story still to come regarding that whole thing.

Taalcon likes this.