main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Ahsoka's 2 lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by younso, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. younso

younso Jedi Grand Master

Jan 1, 2001
    In which episode were we introduced to Ahsoka having 2 lightsabers and was it ever explained why she suddenly had 2?

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I think the first time we see Ahsoka with two lightsabers is when they gave her a model update, beginning in the episode Heroes on Both Sides in Season 3. The first time we see her use two lightsabers in combat was in Altar of Mortis when she battles Anakin and Obi-Wan while under the influence of the Son. They never explain why she obtained her secondary shoto, but it's assumed she built it on her own and received training in Jar'Kai.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Dunno, to make her look cool?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    In the episode 'Pursuit of Peace' during season three, that's when Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka all got new character models too. I don't think getting an extra lightsaber is something that really needed to be explained, sorta like Luke Skywalker in ROTJ where he had a new green lightsaber, so they won't ever explain it because there's no point really.

Seerow likes this.
  5. younso

younso Jedi Grand Master

Jan 1, 2001
    I think it should have been explained. We have seen Anakin fight with 2 lightsabers but that is not his usual style and in ROTJ Luke's new lightsaber was to replace the one he lost when Vader chopped his hand off....

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah, but they never explained how he obtained it, there was a deleted scene of Luke making his green lightsaber but George felt that there was no point including it in the film, and Anakin only uses two when he takes someone else's to get the upper hand. I'd say that with her style, Ahsoka thought she'd be better off having two lightsabers and that it would give her more control and better defence.

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I'm continually amazed at Ahsoka's Force ability to create new threads about herself.

Sitara likes this.
  8. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Filoni explained it at some point in a commentary shortly before Season Three.

I don't think it's still on the website, though.

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    And I'm continually wondering if we're getting a bunch of socks posting.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  10. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Sora Bulq trained her! :)

11. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    I like that GL cut the light saber scene in ROTJ. It was a better reveal in the movie and lead to Luke looking more BA! The deleted scene was kinda weird anyway, him shaking his head at the camera...

As for Ahsoka, its great she has to sabers! I was disappointed when she lost the other.

12. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber."

There. All the explanation needed. We don't even get that with Ahsoka.

Sitara likes this.
  13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Fan service and to make Ahsoka even more "cool." [face_plain]

Sudooku, Sitara and JackG like this.
  14. El Bastarde

El Bastarde Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2013
    I'm pretty sure it was to show some "progression" in Ahsoka's learning. Like to kinda emphasize that she was obviously learning more and more in the course of the show. The new outfit probably made her look more professional than some kid with a tube top and the double-sabers is probably to emphasize that she's learning new tricks.

Seerow likes this.
  15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Apparently her second lightsaber was the first stage of Filoni getting a yellow lightsaber on screen. Her shoto is a yellow-green. And now the Temple guards have "force pikes" with very yellowish (though still slightly green blades).

16. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Ahsoka already seemed like a master swordman with her single saber during season 3. Shes incredibly fast and agile. My guess is Ahsoka simply decided she was ready to learn something new. She doesn't have any better to do. So she got a second lightsaber and learned to use it thinking it would further augment her capabilities. She was very lethal in season 4 with them. Most of her learning took place off screen do to the shows stand alone, snapshot nature. It probably just wasn't considered important. I agree the second saber was also meant to mark her progress transitioning to the newer and older model. OOU, yeah it probably did just seem like a cool idea. Give the magic girl whanna-be two lightsabers and let her use em backhanded. That'd look badass right?

17. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    My guess is because Galen's clone had two sabers in reserved grip so why not have Ahsoka have 2 sabers!

18. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Vader specifically pointed out that Luke had built a new lightsaber, which implied he had advanced in his training as a Jedi.

Something so essential to a Jedi as her lightsaber, an item no Jedi is ever supposed to be without, should be referenced in character. They should have had shown Ashoka practicing various styles/with dual sabers, before finally showing her decision why she switched over to the style. Then we should have had Anakin and her discuss it, and maybe Yoda or Obi Wan asking her why she chose this aggressive style, and her spouting some Jedi=ish wisdom. I dunno about you all, but that would have made for a better couple of episodes than a bunch of droids running around like the droid arc, or whatnot.

Also, in the older short cartoon there was a great episode with Luminara and Bariss Offee going to Ilum or something, and constructing their sabers, with Luminara constantly referencing Jedi philosophy. They also used the Force to construct the saber, which was IMO really cool. That was a great episode of that show.

cwustudent likes this.
  19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    No i believe the Temple guards double bladed lightsabers are full yellow, they sure don't have the same color of Ahsoka's shoto.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I can't help but notice the parallels with The Force Unleashed.

In 2008, TFU releases featuring Vader's apprentice. In the same year, TCW features Anakin's apprentice. They both use the same lightsaber grip.

In 2010, TFU2 releases featuring Kamino, and Vader's apprentice now uses two lightsabers. In the same year, TCW features Anakin's apprentice, now using two lightsabers. Also, Kamino is featured in two episodes.

It's way too coincidental for me to be a... coincidence.

21. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Obvious tie-in is obvious.

Circular_Logic and 07jonesj like this.
  22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There are definitely some shots where they look a bit greenish to me (notably when they are outside and approaching Barriss and Anakin). I believe it was in the "Full of Sith" podcast where Filoni actually says that he "snuck" them in and took comfort in that they are just a very yellowish green (more yellow than green but still slightly green) to try and get them past Lucas.

It would have been back in S3 I think, but I remember someone asking about Ahsoka's "yellow" lightsaber back then and Filoni said that it was green. A green-yellow, but still green, to conform to Lucas' rules. I believe in S2 Tera Sinube had a very light blue saber (lighter than Anakin's or Obi-Wan's). But in his S5 appearance, it looks full blown white to me. Possibly something else he "snuck" in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.