main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST AICN Norditorial - On STAR WARS, Patience, And Optimism

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by thejeditraitor, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The problem is that he will probably be one of the first in line ripping strips off of Ep VII if/when it doesn't meet his school boy expectations. It's actually probably best if people have lowered expectations going into the ST... that way maybe folks will just kind of enjoy them for what they are.

3. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Before discussion of this article goes where it could easily go:

Yes, this article expresses poor feelings towards the prequels and disdain towards the Expanded Universe. Oh well.

But, no matter where you stand on those things, you should give the broader message of this article a chance to sink in. He makes a great case for level-headed optimism and hope that these new films are in good hands. He illustrates that a lack of information is something that should be cherished while it lasts. This is the first time in decades where we're getting a new Star Wars story that is completely new and boundless, and we only get to experience it for the first time once.

Anyways, I thought it was a great article, even if it says a lot of the same things other people on this board have expressed.

4. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Oh, boy. Classic pattern: I grew up on the originals (TESB script is perfect, Boba Fett is a badass, Han and Leia apparently had a romance) and the prequels were disappointing. This is just one of many, many, many, many articles already published and one of many that will be out by 2015. on the same subject, somebody's childhood. Nothing new to see here, move along.

5. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am still hoping that Episode VII is filmed near the log in my childhood backyard and has the Imperial Dignitary with the paint peeled off of his nose as the new emperor, so that it lines up with my juvenile concept of what happened after ROTJ. I would prefer if they filmed it in stop-motion animation using old Kenner figures, if possible, as to keep with my outdated ideal.

7. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    As long as they do as I did and switch the heads of the figures to different bodies. It was whole new adventure, after that discovery. ;)

8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013

I'm chuckling at your satire, but come on: Nostalgia for Nostalgia's sake is not what this article is about. He's tapping into his own memories of anticipating past Star Wars films in order to illustrate why we should all relax and enjoy the ride toward the release of the new films. Yes he expresses some worn out critiques of the prequels, and his misty eyed worshiping of the OT isn't anything we haven't seen before, but those aren't the purpose of the article. The purpose is to remind us that hey, we have new Star Wars films coming, and the fact that we don't know anything about them yet is something to be thrilled by, not something to bemoan.

It's a call for level-headed optimism and patience in our time of waiting. This is something that Hellhammer has already expressed wonderfully on these boards, but it's nice to see a similar sentiment being shared in the larger cinema fan community.

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I want my two minutes back.

10. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    This would be a creative mistake, not to mention a financial blow to the economy around the sandy hillside in my childhood backyard where much of the real post ROTJ action happened. How are they going to put sarlacc 2 in a log? That's just ridiculous!

11. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I kind of agree with him about staying away from spoilers, as I am hoping I have the willpower to stay away once 'real' Episode 7 spoilers start to leak. I remember the OT days as a kid and the lead up to ROTJ and there was no way of getting spoilers, except for magazines like Starlog. So even though I remember that I was excited back in the summer of 1982 knowing the movie was still a year away, you were just more patient back then simply because there was no internet.

Again, I'm not sure if I had the willpower, but I would love to walk in Episode 7 totally spoiler-free, except for trailers, and promotional interviews by the cast. He is right that the difference between the PT and ST is we all knew what happened in the PT and we just wanted to see HOW it portrayed on screen, whereas we don't know where they will take the ST story, so that makes it even more suspenseful.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    yes. the point i took away was to go spoiler-less and not to take in any preconceived notions. also to appreciate the fact that this even happening.

don't know where all this negativity is coming from.

Diggs likes this.
  13. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    I think it's not negativity, but guarded optimism. We all love Star Wars, and we crave a film that will allow us to continue that passion and fascination. There have been a few...mis-steps along the way, granted. We gripe because we care, I suppose.
    Then again, It's not like we'll wait until Episode XII and say, "Yeah, well two of The Twelve kicked ass, so I'm a huge fan."

thejeditraitor and Diggs like this.
  14. Yensid1974

Yensid1974 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2013
  15. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Let's see... a site that is dedicated to doing everything it can to spoil movies runs an opinion piece advising us all to be patient and wait.

Yeah, that makes sense.

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    they barely spoil anything anymore.

17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003

...and what is this site then?

18. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
  19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Call me cynical, but sites like AICN want the traffic... and they would certainly welcome the increased traffic associated with snippets of information and spoilers. And then what better way to keep people engaged than by polarising opinion once the film is released? It's lies and spin wrapped up in a truth that they probably don't believe.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Nordling editorial?

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  21. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    People are upset about that? I thought it was a great piece and pretty positive. Oh well.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Guy irks me as a writer and I'm not a fan of when writers for websites take the royal "we" and basically tell you what your opinion is because, since you're on that website, the aforementioned writer knows exactly how you think and thinks exactly like you.

23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, it was an opinion piece. I think the we could apply to people like me and others who pretty much agree with him.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh, ya, it's perfectly valid if you agree with Nordling's opinion. I just take issue with being added under his umbrella and basically everything he writes for the site irritates me so I stand by my initial

Diggs likes this.
  25. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    While I completely relate to 90% of that option piece and understand he's just asking for some patience and asking you to enjoy the ride. But AICN is pretty much out of the game. I used to visit this site everyday when I was in college but the site is a major sellout. I honestly don't remember the last time they broke a scoop on a film that wasn't connected to Legendary pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.