main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aing-Tii monks related to Yuuzhan Vong?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Crime, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crime

Crime Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2002
    In Zahn's book Vision of the Future, Talon Karrde was preparing to fight an army of pirates to defend planet named Exocron where his old smuggler boss Car'das lived. During that fight, an unknown ship appears and kills the pirates. It is explained as roughly ovoid, covered with thick hull plates that gave it the appearance of an armored sea creature and at close range, the hull itself looked disturbingly like something alive... pg.495

Later on Car'das says that Yoda told him to seek out the Aing Tii monks. He also said that the Aing-Tii have an understanding of the force; but its a different understanding from that of the Jedi or perhaps a different aspect of the Force that they relate to. He then goes on to saying that the Aing-Tii see the force not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi-of black and white, as it were-but in a way like a full-color rainbow. Car'das then shows Karrde how the Aing-Tii trained him to use the force to teleport objects with the force even though he is not force sensitive. pg. 509. Later on in Vision of the Future, Karrde gets a ride from the Aing-Tii and their ships have the capabilities to instantly teleport instead of using hyperdrives.

Now, in the New Jedi Order book Agents of Chaos 1(Hero's Trial), I read that the Yuuzhan Vong have markings on the hull area of their ship that suggest similarities to the symbols and glyphs of the Aing-Tii monks. pg. 98

Could these Aing-Tii monks be somehow related to the Yuuzhan Vong? Perhaps they are Yuuzhan Vong that stayed behind from the original group of Yuuzhan Vong that landed on Zonama Sekot 50 years ago and learned how to use the force. Maybe, the technology that allows the Aing-Tii to teleport is what the Yuuzhan Vong wanted so badly from Zonama Sekot in the first place. Anyone else think that this theory might be possible?

2. Jet-Eye-Blah

Jet-Eye-Blah Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Aing-Tii monks are currently in what is known as EU-Limbo right now. Only time will tell if they are related to Yuuzahn Vong or not.

3. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    They're not really in Limbo. They've always been reclusive and don't generally get involved in galactic affairs. Unless the Vong directly attacked them, I doubt they'd make a move. And I highly doubt they'd go on the offensive once they cleared the Vong from their space.

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    They are not in "limbo," they are defending there territory, as they have done for centuries. Just because they appear in one novel doesn't make them main players.

5. Crime

Oct 8, 2002
    I just think its wierd that these Aing-Tii have organic ships and have similar markings the Yuuzhan Vong on them too. I never said they would fly in a whoop the Vong.

6. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    One interseting point is that they are supposed to hate slavers above all else. Considering the YV's record in this field the monks might be willing to help if asked.

7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    They are as closly related as Genghis
    and Zahn are.

Also Mon Cal ships tend to look sorta alive but they aren't. So the key word is "Look alive"

8. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Crime - I think that will play a large role later on. Actually, change that to I wouldn't be surprised if they played a role later on.

I don't understand why it would have been brought up in AoC if it was of no consequence. I think it was hinting towards events which have yet to come to pass.

There are great links between the two civilisations. If no explicit connection between the two had been made in the NJO, I would have dismissed it as coincidence.

However the connection has been explicitly made.

What connections are there? I know this same topic has been brought up a dozen times, and I often get involved in such discussions, however I can't find them in my message history.

+tattoing;
    +organic (or apparently organic ships);
    +ships which can 'pop' into and out of hyperspace without the characteristic pseudomotion;
    +ships with similar strange markings.
    +slavers and anti-slavers;
    +strange relationships with the force
    +both with uncertain pasts.

And as for EU limbo, which someone brought up- I don't believe in EU limbo. In fact, I'm going to start up a little rant thread on EU limbo- keep an eye out for it. I hate rant threads, but I can't help myself.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Upped for the benefit of all. :D

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Aing Tii:
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/feature/20000817/img/aing_tii_bg.gif]

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Don't look like Yuuzhan Vong to me... :p

Where did you get that pic?

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Starwars.com, and the pic originates from the one of the darkstryder campaign books, not sure which one.

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Kathol Outback

The pic's by Tim Eldred.

14. Crime

Oct 8, 2002
    Wow, never seen concept art for them before. Guess that blows my theory to shreads =)

15. tinyloko

tinyloko Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2002
    i dont know if you seen where the monks live across the galaxy where the vong started their invasion

16. darthjarjarbinks

Jan 3, 2000
    Crime- just because they don't look similar does not negate the other similarities between them.

Some significant relationship, while obviously not genetic, could still be seen to exist.

17. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    I've been thinking that maybe the Aing-Tii are related to the species that gave the Vong their Biotech in the first place.

Maybe the Vongs "Gods" were evil Aing-Tii? Or another species that uses Biotech that the Aing-Tii were at war with? could explain why they came to THIS galaxy...

18. darthjarjarbinks

Jan 3, 2000
    Maybe. Only time will tell. However I think that if the Aing-tii do enter into the NJO, it won't be due to some prior relationship but rather due to their nature as anti-slavers, good warriors and generally defenders of what they believe in.

19. DarthKarth510

DarthKarth510 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2002
    "Although still part of the galaxy-proper, the Kathol Rift had its share of the unknown. This was perhaps best exemplified by the Aing-Tii monks. Strange chitin-skinned aliens, the Aing-Tii haunted the outskirts of the Rift in their strange streamlined starships. Xenophobic and mystical, the Aing-Tii have the strange ability to navigate even the most difficult areas of the dense Kathol Rift. While dangerous, the Aing-Tii are not so much diabolical as they are enigmatic.

At the heart of the Rift was a grotesque techno-organic entity known as DarkStryder. This remnant of a long lost civilization oversaw different "constructs" or species that served him. Among them were the Char Ontee, the originators of the arachnid species that had become trapped in a pocket dimension, driven to madness, and had become the Charon."
    (Terror From Beyond the Rim)

Please cite your sources when posting direct quotations. Thanks.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Darth Karth: You should probably note that you got that from the official site, or put it in italics, or something.

21. LFL_Copyright_Nazi

LFL_Copyright_Nazi Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2002
    ...yes.... you probably should...

:p

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [face_shocked]

I knew LFL was watching us!

;)

23. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Anyone know of pics of the Aing-Tii ships?

Also, could the Aing-Tii be the ones that drove the YV out of their Gal?

24. Emperor-Nasty-Pants

Emperor-Nasty-Pants Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2002
    It kills me that the Aing-tii have not been mentioned more than once (I believe) in the NJO. It seems like someone would have at least thought to go check them out being that if nothing else there are a few similarities between them. Also I would have thought Luke may have sometime between VOTF and NJO gone to at least Car'das and try to learn or understand the different way that the monks use the force.

25. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    my guess on whether Luke debated learning more about these monks is this:

there are probably many groups or persons that claim to use the Force or exhibit force-like powers. When Luke was starting his academy, he searched after certain individuals that stood out -- some turned out to be Force sensitive, others did not. After a while, he probably compiled a big list of potential Force-wielders, but didn't have time to investigate them all. He probably started with those who had Force training, or whose philosophies were most amenable to Jedi ways rather than those whose Force training might be along divergent philosophies. Something very alien, using the Force in a different way, might have been a great study, but not necessarily the best use of his time in rebuilding the Jedi Order (and might undermine his own tenets of the Force).

Sometimes it is better to stick with what you know, if it works...
    (sometimes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.